The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2005-2009 Mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f637/)
-   -   IUP with side airbags - (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f637/iup-side-airbags-401907/)

red454 2/27/05 06:11 PM

I will be ordering this week and my dealer was running the numbers for me the other day and when we got to the Interior Upgrade Package (IUP) he said that I had to get the side air bags too. I really don't want the side air bags. But if I have to take them to get the IUP, so be it.

Is this standard practice?

-Thanks

Juice 2/27/05 06:13 PM

Actually, it should be the other way around. You can't get side air bags without the interior upgrade. I just ordered mine, and ordered the IUP and did not order side air bags.

maucoin65 2/27/05 06:15 PM

Originally posted by Juice@February 27, 2005, 7:16 PM
Actually, it should be the other way around. You can't get side air bags without the interior upgrade. I just ordered mine, and ordered the IUP and did not order side air bags.

Juice/Mike is correct. Your dealer is wrong.

wild stray 2/27/05 06:15 PM

I have IUP with no side air bags also.

red454 2/27/05 06:18 PM

Great - thanks.

That is what I figured. I will press the issue...

-Chris

holderca1 2/27/05 07:16 PM

Something to think about...call your insurance company and see if the will give you a discount for the side airbags.

05GT-O.C.D. 2/27/05 07:38 PM

I too believe that to get the SIA that IUP is required. But one thing I noticed is in the brochure it shows that the SIA is a stand alone option. Kinda wierd, has anyone tried building one at the Mustang website? Just wondering if maybe it wasn't a myth that everyone keeps repeating. :dunno:

RaGsHoCkEy88 2/27/05 08:40 PM

yep its a forced option....but i wanted it anyway

Grantsdale 2/27/05 08:43 PM

You need to get IUP to get the side airbags. However, you do not need to get the side air bags once you get IUP.

Why you wouldn't is beyond me, since they are like $285 and have the possibility of saving your life. They may help, they may not. But if you don't get them, you know for sure that they won't.

Is your life worth $300?

edit: Also, you know there is some sort of evidence supporting the fact that they do help since they will become required by federal law in 07 or 08, forget which.

RaGsHoCkEy88 2/27/05 08:49 PM

hey grants how u liking ur GT!!??

Grantsdale 2/27/05 08:57 PM

Originally posted by RaGsHoCkEy88@February 27, 2005, 11:52 PM
hey grants how u liking ur GT!!??

Its been liking the garage for the past two months :notnice:

RaGsHoCkEy88 2/27/05 10:45 PM

ohh im sorry to hear that. well hopefully once the weather gets good ull take her out and give us some positives good luck man

wsmatau 2/28/05 10:04 AM

Originally posted by Grantsdale@February 27, 2005, 9:46 PM

edit: Also, you know there is some sort of evidence supporting the fact that they do help since they will become required by federal law in 07 or 08, forget which.

Federal law cannot mandate retrograde enforcement. Pre-67 cars are not required to put catalitic converters on their cars.

I agree the the side airbags will pay for themselves in 2-3 years just in savings on insurance premiums. That is the only reason I got the IUP.

Barricade 2/28/05 10:10 AM

I dont think Grants was saying retrograde anything. I believe his point was it is an inexpensive safety feature that could save your life (Inexpensive in that your life is worth more than $300) and that is has been proven to the extent of mandatory requirement by the Government.
yup...I ordered them as well.

KUcurt 2/28/05 10:17 AM

USAA is our insurance and they strongly recommended I ordered the side airbags. So, no problem, it may save my life someday.

Grantsdale 2/28/05 11:30 AM

Originally posted by wsmatau+February 28, 2005, 1:07 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wsmatau @ February 28, 2005, 1:07 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Grantsdale@February 27, 2005, 9:46 PM

Federal law cannot mandate retrograde enforcement. Pre-67 cars are not required to put catalitic converters on their cars.

I agree the the side airbags will pay for themselves in 2-3 years just in savings on insurance premiums. That is the only reason I got the IUP.
[/b][/quote]

Who said anything about retro? I said they become required, meaning all new cars will be required to have them. Thus getting them on an 05 is a good idea.

red454 2/28/05 11:45 AM

Turns out that the dealer was mistaken - the side air bags are not required with the IUP.

Ok - so now I am feeling guilty for not getting them. I just need to make sure no one hits me on the sides... :rolleyes:

foxhtn 2/28/05 01:21 PM

you ordered today. Why not contact your dealer to put in a requisition to have them installed? The dealer would have the ordering info. and it might not be too late. :nice:

Grantsdale 2/28/05 01:33 PM

Your order won't be pulled until Fri at the earliest. Changing it now won't make any difference.

RRRoamer 2/28/05 02:35 PM

Originally posted by Grantsdale@February 27, 2005, 9:46 PM

I'm not going to argue one way or the other on side impact air bags... But that statement about it being a federal law just has my head shaking! I've see PLENTY of Federal laws that only would have been implemented by a complete donkey named jack, so I'M not willing to use that as evidence one way or the other....