The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2005-2009 Mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f637/)
-   -   I got hit by a wild hog, need help with insurance (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f637/i-got-hit-wild-hog-need-help-insurance-445494/)

Robbieg 1/1/07 12:54 PM

I got hit by a wild hog, need help with insurance

16 Attachment(s)
I was going to work yesterday morning at 3:00 A.M. and a wild black hog ran right into me from the side of the road. I was only doing 40 but it did a lot of damage. I have a couple of question about insurance and the repair as I have never had to make a claim before. I have Allstate if it matters, I called and they set up an appointment for this Thursday to meet with one of there adjusters, it appears to be a private shop not an actual Allstate office. My first question is are they going to just look at it and give me what they want or will they give me what it actually cost to get it fixed. I want to take it to the Ford dealer for the repairs not an independent, will I be able to choose. I haven't even had the car a month yet and I am anal about my vehicles anyway so when the work is done I will expect it to be perfect, no exceptions. Second question is the fender got buckled a little bit, there is a bigger gap at the hood and it moved in and hit the headlight and were the wheel well lip is you can see the buckle, however there are no blemishes to the paint. Will they just try to bend it back or will they put a new fender on? I would prefer to have a new fender then them trying to straighten mine. Third question is I know for sure they will have to replace the bumper, since this is a 2007 can they get the parts painted from the factory or will they have to paint them at the dealer? Last question is should I go get a few of my own estimates before meeting with the Allstate rep so I have an idea of the cost or should I just wait and see what they come up with.

This is what I know it needs for sure:
Front bumper with paint and stripes
Headlight assembly
Turn signal and parking light assembly
Windshield washer tank
Fender liner
Lower grill
Fender
Wire harness to parking/turn signal
And any support brackets for the above

I took pictures of the hog for the insurance so I have proof that that's what happened. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

boomerman 1/1/07 01:12 PM

I do not mean to be mean but getting hit by a pig is **** funny:banana:

I do feel bad for you though, I know I would be so mad!!

05GT-O.C.D. 1/1/07 01:17 PM

What'll happen is they'll write you an estimate to actually repair your car. I'm not sure what you mean by pay "what they want." They'll pay you based on the estimate they write. There's always the possibility of hidden damage, and when discovered, they should pay for that as well.
You'll be able to take the car wherever you want for repairs. Your local Ford dealer may be great, but just remember, there is very likely an independent shop that's better. Ford shops don't rely on their reputation for quality like an independent shop does.
Ford usually only stocks some small parts prepainted like body moldings, etc. Yours will likely be painted at the shop. That's the right way to do it.
Get another estimate if you want. It won't matter to the ins co, but might help you find a shop you're comefortable with.

Sorry about your wreck.

SONICBOOST 1/1/07 01:18 PM

A wild hog:rofl2:man that hog must have been p issed ............ sorry.

GRAYPNY 1/1/07 03:18 PM

What a boaring story! :jester:

Sorry about your car, it took a pretty good hit. Hopes it all works out for you~

tom281 1/1/07 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by GRAYPNY (Post 810422)
What a boaring story! :jester:

Nice, really nice......... :rofl2:

Most of the answers that you're looking for Robbieg depends on your insurance coverage and agent. Good luck getting it fixed.

Stoenr 1/1/07 03:24 PM

Now Ive heard it all. :doh:

Did ya kill it at least?

Robbieg 1/1/07 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Stoenr (Post 810426)
Now Ive heard it all. :doh:

Did ya kill it at least?

Yeap, its done! Caught its tail end and knocked it about 10 yards spinning.

RedDragon777 1/1/07 03:52 PM

i would have ran down with a tire wrench and made sure the thing was dead then get some body with a truck and bring it back, just to show what i hit LOL

Ranger 1/1/07 03:54 PM

If there are some car clubs in your area, can be other than Ford/Mustang - try checking with them. Members are usually "anal" about their cars and might have some suggestions for body shops. As stated, your insurance company may have other ideas regarding who they want estimates from

awakeinAZ 1/1/07 04:51 PM

Sorry about your stang, glad you were not injured!

Bob99b5 1/1/07 05:22 PM

[quote=Robbieg;810354] My first question is are they going to just look at it and give me what they want or will they give me what it actually cost to get it fixed. I want to take it to the Ford dealer for the repairs not an independent, will I be able to choose. Second question is the fender got buckled a little bit, there is a bigger gap at the hood and it moved in and hit the headlight and were the wheel well lip is you can see the buckle, however there are no blemishes to the paint. Will they just try to bend it back or will they put a new fender on? Third question is I know for sure they will have to replace the bumper, since this is a 2007 can they get the parts painted from the factory or will they have to paint them at the dealer? Last question is should I go get a few of my own estimates before meeting with the Allstate rep so I have an idea of the cost or should I just wait and see what they come up with.
quote]

Boy that really stinks! You can get the car repaired at any shop you choose. If you have a place in mind that you know and trust, I would recommend you leave the car there, tell them what you want, and let them hash it out with the insurance company. Your insurance company will write an estimate based on what they can see then the repair shop can call them back for a supplement (basically an extra payment) if they find additional damage after they disassemble it. As for the fender, on an '07 you probably could get a new one but if there's no paint damage you may be better off having them try to remove the damage using PDR (paintless dent removal) if it'll work. The entire front hood fender and bumper are probably going to need to be realigned to get the gaps back to spec too. The front bumpers do not come painted - they come in in primer and are paint to match.

The most important piece of advice I can give you is ask for recommendations for a shop that specializes in perfection. Just because you take it to a Ford dealer does not in any way mean that they'll do the job right. You need to do the research and find out which shops in your area do good work. Insurance adjusters work with all the shops so, if you can trust your adjuster, he/she should be able to steer you to a good one if you can't find one on your own.

And now for the shameless self-promotion part....if you're anywhere near RI, take it to my brother's shop, AutoPaint RI, www.autopaintri.com. Good luck with the repair.

Poco 1/1/07 05:40 PM

If you have a dispute with your insurance company check to see if you have a Insurance Commissioner in your state or county.You can file a grievance to the Commissioner if you feel your claim was not adjusted properly by having a few other estimates for comparison.I hope you don't have to go this route.Good luck!Pat

hi5.0 1/1/07 06:13 PM

Sorry to hear about your car. That's something about driving on the US Mainland that always bothered me - deer, moose, boars/feral pigs...
Should've turned it into sausages, pork chops, char siu, pork hash, roast ham, kalua pork, or roasted it whole for a New Year's Day feast or something like that for your trouble. Okay, getting hungry now...
Hope you get it resolved soon.

icemant180 1/2/07 12:28 PM

Robbieg, When is the BBQ?

97svtgoin05gt 1/2/07 12:54 PM

I first thought this was going to be a thread about an accident with a Harley rider, but SURPRISE...it's a REAL hog.

:dunno:

Sorry about the car man. You'll get it fixed as good as new. Perhaps you can contact someone about a hog catcher bolt on.

mtchstng 1/2/07 07:08 PM

I work as an insurance inspector. first off they will write an estimate for what damage they can see, if there is any additional that is found after it is torn down they will pay that to the body shop. You should be able to take it to any shop you choose. From looking at the photos they will probably want to repair the fender vs replacing but that might not be too bad because if they replace the fender they will likely have to blend the paint on the door for paint match, if they repair the fender they may be able to keep the paint match with in the fender. The more original paint you can keep the better. The parts all come in primer. Hope it all turns out ok. I would be very picky with the bodyshop I used and tell them up front that you expect to not be able to tell it was damaged.

2005GTDELUXE 1/2/07 07:17 PM

I hate Road Hogs , sorry to see your car has been hit, glad you are ok.

Chip 1/2/07 07:32 PM

Sorry to hear about your accident, but it's the perfect time to think about a new GT500 front end or maybe a Roush! The cost should be pretty close!

korinwoodo 1/2/07 08:06 PM

Where do you work? 3 AM is crazy early

Robbieg 1/3/07 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by korinwoodo (Post 811377)
Where do you work? 3 AM is crazy early

I am a bakery manager for a grocery chain called Publix.

korinwoodo 1/3/07 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by Robbieg (Post 811538)
I am a bakery manager for a grocery chain called Publix.

Ah true that. That makes sense. Have to get in early and bake everything eh? Sorry about the experience, at least it was something with a sweet story, instead of some retard racoon or something.

IWantMyNewGT 1/3/07 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by Ranger (Post 810445)
If there are some car clubs in your area, can be other than Ford/Mustang - try checking with them. Members are usually "anal" about their cars and might have some suggestions for body shops. As stated, your insurance company may have other ideas regarding who they want estimates from

If you happen to know anyone with a really high-dollar ride, I would ask them. In my experience, Porsche owners are the pickiest of all if you know any. Otherwise, as Ranger said, contact car clubs in your area.

Robbieg 1/3/07 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by icemant180 (Post 811003)
Robbieg, When is the BBQ?

The buzzards beat us to it, I went back that afternoon to take some more pictures for insurance with a tape measure for scale and the buzzards were already starting in on it.

vistablue mustang 1/3/07 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Robbieg (Post 810434)
Yeap, its done! Caught its tail end and knocked it about 10 yards spinning.

So pigs do fly?:jester:

Sorry about your car, having just dealt with my insurance company I know how bad they can suck, at least your not in NJ....right?

07ShelbyWanter 1/3/07 09:05 AM

the only kind of wild boars we have in jersey are the ugly sorority chick breed.. very very dangerous. they would total your car.

Robbieg 1/3/07 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by vistablue mustang (Post 811622)
So pigs do fly?:jester:

Sorry about your car, having just dealt with my insurance company I know how bad they can suck, at least your not in NJ....right?

Yeah I'm in Florida, I'm sure with all the elderly drivers here they've heard it all already.

Chip 1/3/07 10:03 AM

Where in Florida? I live there too and if your close to the Deland Deltona area I know of a great body shop! "Crossroads" in Orange city!

05GT-O.C.D. 1/3/07 11:02 AM

If you're in the Southern Gulf side, I can help too.

Robbieg 1/3/07 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Chip (Post 811712)
Where in Florida? I live there too and if your close to the Deland Deltona area I know of a great body shop! "Crossroads" in Orange city!

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D. (Post 811749)
If you're in the Southern Gulf side, I can help too.

I'm in Bradenton, it's near Sarasota. Any body know any good shops close by.

Twisted_Reality 1/3/07 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Robbieg (Post 811795)

Clearwater here. As for the shops..... :dunno:

Emu Hunter 1/3/07 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Robbieg (Post 810354)
I took pictures of the hog for the insurance so I have proof that that's what happened. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Man Robbie, as a future GO owner, let me just say that those pictures of the damage could bring tears to a glass eyeball. I feel like sending a sympathy card or something, "so sorry for your loss"

05GT-O.C.D. 1/3/07 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Robbieg (Post 811795)

All the shops I know are between Naples, Ft Myers, etc and Port Charlotte... looks like I miss you by a few miles. Good luck man.

dslimbizkit 1/3/07 03:35 PM

have you posted the pics of the hog? I would like to see that..lol..but seriously!

169stang 1/3/07 05:16 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Sucks to hear about your car....it sucks to hear about the hog too! We hunt hogs in Okeechobee all the time with a couple dogs, no guns. Go to Need2speed.com in the South Florida section. There are a lot of guys from that area on that forum. You can also call up the guys at BMR Fabrication. There in Thonotosassa (outside of Tampa) and would more than likely know of a shop in your area.

Some pics of my sons first hog. 2-3 dogs bay up the hog and we come in and grab a leg to control it (not as easy as it sounds). We usually take em out alive. I was going to get this one mounted being his first hog, so my boy killed it on the spot. It's much harder dragging out a live hog vs. a dead hog!

tom281 1/3/07 05:41 PM

Cool pix David, that's stuff you & your son can cherish. :nice:

ZipZap04 1/3/07 05:51 PM

that sux man. i got hit in my exp in behind. cost me 3500(needed new bumper, rear door + hydro's, lights, light housing, quarter panels and most of all, paint and labor). I would say by that it looks like about 2500. figure in lights, housings, fenders, body alignments and all. If ur fender aint in bad shape a good shop could bump it and save u about 500. I hope u didnt pull any part out??

Robbieg 1/4/07 04:11 AM

8 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by dslimbizkit (Post 811953)
have you posted the pics of the hog? I would like to see that..lol..but seriously!

Here ya go!

Robbieg 1/4/07 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by 169stang (Post 812048)
Sucks to hear about your car....it sucks to hear about the hog too! We hunt hogs in Okeechobee all the time with a couple dogs, no guns. Go to Need2speed.com in the South Florida section. There are a lot of guys from that area on that forum. You can also call up the guys at BMR Fabrication. There in Thonotosassa (outside of Tampa) and would more than likely know of a shop in your area.

Some pics of my sons first hog. 2-3 dogs bay up the hog and we come in and grab a leg to control it (not as easy as it sounds). We usually take em out alive. I was going to get this one mounted being his first hog, so my boy killed it on the spot. It's much harder dragging out a live hog vs. a dead hog!

Have you ever heard of a place called River Ranch, I own some property there. Its a huge area near lake whales you can hunt and ride ATV's

169stang 1/4/07 07:00 AM

I live in West Palm Beach and go to Tampa alot for work. I pass river ranch all the time. Nice place in the middle of nowhere.:nice:

tom281 1/6/07 05:01 PM

Atleast you didn't hit this monster: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16492304/?GT1=8921