The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2005-2009 Mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f637/)
-   -   How many miles should a Mustang last with no major problems? (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f637/how-many-miles-should-mustang-last-no-major-problems-526964/)

jackpearson 12/11/13 06:17 PM

How many miles should a Mustang last with no major problems?

Looking for an 05-09 with high mileage. I dont drive much so even if it has a lot it is OK, but I dont want to get one that has so many miles that it is going to cause me huge repair bills.

Toyota Corollas can last 1/4 million miles with no major problems.
Chevrolet Malibus on the other hand are problem ridden after about 125,000.

How long should an 05-09 V6 Automatic mustang last with no major problems?

Flagstang 12/11/13 09:11 PM

keep in mind the mustang is not a A to B box like the Toyota.

they have a few threads about "who has the most miles" and stuff like that. Seems people are easily getting over 100k with no big issues. But that also depends on use and how you take care of the car.

Glenn 12/12/13 06:20 AM

yep if it had normal oil changes and wasn't beat on every time it was started it should go at least 200 k

I ment to say 200k also 100k should be a walk in the park.

Edited

NC14GT 12/13/13 08:43 AM

Maintenance, maintenance, maintenance. If the car has it, go for it. Not someone's word, but receipts. Major issues should not exist. Too many owners of a car is not a good thing. You will never know how the car was treated or possibly abused. My brother in law is on his way to 250,000 miles in a so-so Trailblazer. A Mustang can certainly do that too. He goes overboard on fluid changes and it is a one owner. That's what to look for if possible. Good luck!

JimC 12/13/13 09:11 PM

My 2006 had 203,000 on it when I sold it June 2012 with no major problems. The new owner reported 212,000 on it when he took it on the Bourbon Trail this past summer, with no problems.

That is after running a 75 shot of nitrous on it for two racing seasons, and then pulling the nitrous at 90,000 miles and putting the supercharger on it.

jglnaz 12/14/13 03:44 PM

Taking care of it and following good maintenance practices should have it last well in to the high mileage club.
From what I have read trucks with the 4.0 talk about going 2-300,000 miles and no issues. They also have the same background of changing the oil regularly and coolant.
I do not see why the Mustang cannot do the same.

OneCoolGT 1/2/14 08:28 AM

I'm up to 121K on mine and stick to the maintainence schedule religiously! The only big things I had to do is a tranny seal and an ignition coil..just change the fluids at the correct intervals and you should be good!

tbear853 1/2/14 05:35 PM

This past week we visited my "Wife Unit"s brother and family in Conyers, Ga. I rode with him to Lowes one day in his "drive to work car", a 1996 Mercury Sable. 405,000 miles, second transmission, original motor, misc tune ups and maintenance and bulbs, etc. Many sets of tires. Drives I-20 all the time, from the east side now. Hew used to live in Muscadine, Al, used to drive all the way in from the west side, 1-1/2 hr commute each way.

Why can't a Mustang V6 auto do as much?

LivinTheStangLife 1/2/14 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by tbear853 (Post 6738233)
This past week we visited my "Wife Unit"s brother and family in Conyers, Ga. I rode with him to Lowes one day in his "drive to work car", a 1996 Mercury Sable. 405,000 miles, second transmission, original motor, misc tune ups and maintenance and bulbs, etc. Many sets of tires. Drives I-20 all the time, from the east side now. Hew used to live in Muscadine, Al, used to drive all the way in from the west side, 1-1/2 hr commute each way.

Why can't a Mustang V6 auto do as much?

That's awesome! Im impressed. That would be cool to brag about if you had that many miles on anything. That probably had the 3.8 and that was in the year range those head gaskets went out all the time. Just proves as long as you take care of your car it pays off

tbear853 1/3/14 10:17 AM

I just know it's a V-6, I knew V-6 T-birds then had HG probs, never thought to ask which V-6 in his Sable. It's the ugly "Cat in the Hat is Back / Whoville" looking car. The carpet has holes worn in it on driver's side, but it goes on and on. I asked him about repairs, it's had some steering / suspension parts, brake pads, tune ups, sensors replaced, but never a valve cover off yet. Shocks are wore out so it glides over bumps pretty good too, still original exhaust though.

He is not mechanically inclined so he has it serviced at the same small mom-n-pop / corner auto repair shop he's used since moving to Conyers maybe 8 year ago, before that it was a country garage near Carrolton. I think he's been lucky in his choice of shops.

97GT03SVT 1/4/14 07:32 PM

The highest mile car I have ever seen was a former co-worker's 1995 Taurus with 430,000 on it. I think this is part maintenance and part luck. My 90k 1997 GT has proven to be more reliable than my 21k 2003 Cobra and drive and maintain both cars the same. If you buy a high mile GT you don't really know the history of it. I'm also looking at buying a 2005-09 GT and have found that you don't pay much more for a lower mile car. I think a 30k car is worth the extra couple grand than one with over 100k, good luck either way just my .02

Brian Salazar 1/4/19 01:49 AM

I have a Mustang V6 2008 I’m trying to sell it but it has 150,000 I don’t know a lot about cars. how much should I sell it or can I still sell it.

Bert 1/4/19 07:21 AM

very nice thread resurrection!

to get an idea of value, try some of the on-line used car value tools; such as Edmunds, Blue Book, Black Book, Consumer Reports, Truecar, ... these are not "perfect" and there is no absolute correct value, but they will give you an idea, and if you check several of them you can see the range of values they give

Glenn 1/4/19 07:52 AM

just sold my 06 with 112k miles on it and no problems ever... Well maybe a battery and brake pads.

wanted33 1/7/19 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn (Post 7037846)
just sold my 06 with 112k miles on it and no problems ever... Well maybe a battery and brake pads.

Oh man Glenn, I can't believe you sold that little beauty. Whatcha gonna do now? :dunno:

OP, my '06 is just a tick shy of 100,000 miles. I bought it with 89K on the odo. Other than the usual maintenance the car has been fine. As stated above, do your due diligence on the car you think you will buy. How the car was maintained by the previous owners will tell you reams about how the car will be after you buy. Good luck.

tukatz 1/7/19 03:44 PM

We had a 1988 Honda Accord Lxi five-speed we bought new and used as a commuter car - long commutes mostly highway. We sold it to our older son when he headed off to grad school. It had 281,000 miles on it and as I recall we had only replaced the air conditioning compressor. He and I loaded it up (trunk and back seat) with his stuff and hung his bike on a rack on the trunk and drove it from western Washington to Gainesville, FL. This was in late June and we drove with the air conditioning on and were running 85 - 95 most of the way and over 100 for part of Montana. He did have to replace the clutch a few years later. We changed the oil and filter about every 3,500 miles while we owned it.
I don't expect my Mustang will be a problem. It has near 54,000 miles on it now, but I only drive it about 2,500 a year. At this rate it may hit 100,000 miles about the time I hit 100, but I don't really expect to reach that number.