The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2005-2009 Mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f637/)
-   -   Help with Adding Factory Heated Seat Option (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f637/help-adding-factory-heated-seat-option-516962/)

motorama55 12/26/12 10:30 AM

Help with Adding Factory Heated Seat Option

I am trying to add the factory heated seat option to a 2007 Mustang that did not originally come equipped with heated seats. Has anyone managed to add the factory heated seat option? On one of the Mustang forums some time ago, I came across a thread where somebody put together a list of all the parts needed along the part numbers, but can no longer find it.
I picked up on Ebay the HVAC control unit that has the heated seat buttons and also picked up the (4) Ford heated seat pads. I know there is also a relay and additional wiring harnesses needed. Anybody have part numbers for the relay? Any pictures of what the relay looks like or where it is located?

jim010 12/27/12 10:35 AM

Got your PM.

The relays (you need 2) are small and are supposed to be located on the light switch trim panel on the backside. They can go anywhere, though.

I don't have a part number, but they are about a square inch in size. Rectangular and gray and made by Bosch. I got them from my local mechanic for free as he had plenty lying around.

As for a wiring harness, I had to make my own:

power comes from Fuse #66 in the fuse box under the hood to pin # D5 in connector C210. This is the big connector by the door under the passenger kick panel. If you don't have this, then get power from another 12V 25 amp source.

Power splits off into 4. Wires from the split go to pins 1 and 3 on each relay.

From the passenger's relay pin 5, you will have a wire go to the passenger's bottom heated seat connector C334 into pin #1. Pin #2 then goes to the heated seatback into pin #1. From the seatback pin #2 then goes to ground. The ground in the diagrams is G203 behind the kick panel where you find C210. From pin #2 on the relay you go to pin #13 on the HVAC module. You won't have this pin, so you'll have to put one in. I just went to the wreckers and cut a pig tail connector off that had the pin types I needed, pulled out the pin and inserted it into slot 13.

From the Driver's side, you will do the exact same, but You will use slot #12 on the HVAC module, and your ground is G204 behind the Driver's kick panel.

Hope this helps.

jim010 12/27/12 10:53 AM

Since you have a 2007, it is possible that you have all the wiring already for this. First check to see if you have fuse 66 in the fuse box.

Then check to see if you have a wire going UP into connector C210 (the big connector by the door under the passenger kick panel)into slot D5. This is where power from the fuse box goes to. From D5, you will make a harness that goes from D5 and splits into 4 wires going to the relays as described above. Pin 5 from the passenger relay will go back to connector C210 to pin D6. Then it goes to connector C300 under the passenger seat to pin 1.

Driver's goes from the relay pin 5 to the connector C211 (the big connector by the door under the driver's kick panel) to pin 16, then to connector C311 (under the driver's seat) to pin 1.

If you have these pins already there, then you are lucky and just have to plug everything in.

If I had a scanner, I'd send you the diagrams. You can ask your dealer to print these off for you, though. Make sure to get diagrams of the wiring, connectors C210, C211, C300, C311 and C294A.

jim010 12/27/12 07:17 PM

Jim,

I was trying to work off of the heated seat wiring diagram in the link that I've attached. The diagram shows a heated seat relay box containing two relays. I've tried to track down the Ford part number for this relay box, but apparently there is no part number listed for it. So, I'm thinking that this relay box may be part of the main underdash harness in the Mustangs that came factory equipped with heated seats.
I also noticed that on my 07 Mustang, Fuse number 66 does already have a 25A fuse installed.
I have the HVAC panel with the heated seat buttons, but pins 12 and 13 on connector C294A are blank. These are the the two pins that are supposed to have wires that go to the relays for activation. It looks like in the wiring diagram that pin D6 of connector C210 goes to the SJB? Also four of the relay pins appear to tie in to the SJB at the same spot that D6 C210 ties into. This is where 12V gets supplied to the four pins on the relay. The other two pins go to connector C210 pin D6 (passenger side) and connector C211 pin 16 (driver side) and send 12V to the seat heating pads.
I was hoping to track down the Ford Part number for the Heated Seat Relay Box, but if I can't I will just pick up two aftermarket relays. My other thought was if I could find someone parting out an 07-09 Mustang that had heated seats, I would try to get the relay box and maybe the main underdash harness along with it.

Just out of curiousity, how did you attach the wires to pins 12 and 13 on connector C294A? Do you have a crimping gun and crimped the right type female connector pins onto the wires and inserted them into the connector or did you just solder the wires directly onto the HVAC male connector pins?

That is the correct diagram. Just get the relays from the dealer or a mechanic. They are generic. You will snap off pin 4 on the relays, though. They are not needed. It really doesn't matter where you put the relays, but Ford has them behind the trim panel beside the light switch.

Not sure where you are seeing that any of the wires go to the SJB. Your diagram is the same as what I have in my manual. Nothing is going through there. It comes from the fuse box into the car via C210 to the relays, and then back to C210 and C211 to the seats. S231 refers to a junction where the wires split off from the main harness.

Don't bother with getting the proper harness. The wiring for this is quite simple, that removing the dash to put in the proper harness is way too much trouble when you can wire it up properly yourself.

The pins for #12 and 13 are easy enough. You can cut a male pigtail that has the right pin types in it. Pull the pins out and insert them into C294A. Make sure that you leave a couple of inches of wire attached to each pin. Then just attach your wires to those and heat shrink wrap.

jim010 12/27/12 07:26 PM

Sorry, I meant to say female connector, not male.

I cut off another C294A from a wrecked Mustang and got my pins from it.

motorama55 12/29/12 04:30 PM

Jim,

You are right about the voltage source for the seats not going through the SJB. I had made the assumption that it did because on another thread regarding adding the factory heated seat option someone else commented that in addition to adding all the parts, on top of that, you would have to take the car to the dealership to have the SJB reprogrammed. That now appears to be incorrect information. That for clearing that up.

jim010 12/30/12 05:26 PM

No problem.

Cheers

FiveLeeter 1/5/17 10:36 AM

any updates on this? I have a 2011 base that I am adding a Kenwood and Maestro RR into, and would like to add seat heaters into my 2013 leather seats so that I can control them through the double din.

have the HVAC control ordered, just trying to find out exactly what needs to be done to make it all function like oem and not on a toggle switch.

I have the "climate controlled seats" diagram from here:

http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=710&viewfil...ed%20Seats.pdf

and am using the Dorman universal seat heater kit. have the part number from above for the HVAC module, just want to make sure it's possible before ordering everything else.

Thanks for the support guys!

torresmark 2/25/19 07:40 PM

Can the factory control be used with aftermarket seat warmers? I’m upgrading to ambient lighting console, and don’t want to drill holes in it. I would like to know what wires the seat warmer buttons actuate. Tested them all, and could not find it. Just need to send power to close the switch in the relays. Any help is much appreciated. Thank you!

wanted33 3/3/19 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by torresmark (Post 7039160)
Can the factory control be used with aftermarket seat warmers? I’m upgrading to ambient lighting console, and don’t want to drill holes in it. I would like to know what wires the seat warmer buttons actuate. Tested them all, and could not find it. Just need to send power to close the switch in the relays. Any help is much appreciated. Thank you!

Brother, this is quite an old thread. I suggest you start a new thread with your question. Hopefully someone can help you. I'm sorry I don't know a thing about the wiring.

m05fastbackGT 3/3/19 05:58 PM

Jim, torresmark actually did the right thing by searching the sub-forums first. However, if he doesn't get a response within a timely manner? then, by all means, he should proceed with submitting a new thread :yup: