2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Help! '07 Mustang wont drive

Search this Thread

Old 12/27/11, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! '07 Mustang wont drive

Hello all. I have a serious question. I drove my Mustang to work as usual. After work I came out to leave, I started my car put it in drive (it's a v6 automatic) and nothing. It just sat there and spun, I get no forward motion or reverse. I've had no problems
With the transmission slipping, or sputtering. I just now went over the 50K mile mark. It's currently sitting in the parking garage at work. The gear shift does move freely, and now mysteriously the battery is dead. I'm not sure if any of these relate. If anyone has any suggestions I'm open to them! Thank you!!
Old 12/27/11, 03:25 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Can you feel the shifter clicking into reverse neutral and drive or does it feel like it is not connected to anything?
Old 12/27/11, 03:33 PM

It feel like it clicks in. If it helps when I tap the brake in park the gear shifter clicks. There are no check engine lights or Anything on
Old 12/27/11, 03:37 PM

The brake pedal click is just the park lock solenoid. I'm just wondering if the shift cable came loose. Either way it sounds like it needs to be towed to a shop.
Old 12/27/11, 03:40 PM

I figured it would need to go to the shop. Just hoping to get any idea before I take it in, so I don't get screwed by the dealership lol Anyway to see if the shifter cable has come loose?
Old 12/27/11, 03:47 PM

You would have to get under the car and have someone try and put it in gear. See if the linkage moves. You may also be able to put it in neutral and see if the car can be pushed. Only ways I can think of.
Old 12/27/11, 03:54 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Wasnt there a TSB on the auto shifters??
Old 12/27/11, 03:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 787 Likes on 574 Posts
does the shift lever move freely? Cn you shift all the way to 1st gear?
Old 12/27/11, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
You would have to get under the car and have someone try and put it in gear. See if the linkage moves. You may also be able to put it in neutral and see if the car can be pushed. Only ways I can think of.
It will move in neutral, in fact it will
Roll in all the gears. And yes I can shift freely and down to 1st

Last edited by Blue_Ponygrl88; 12/27/11 at 04:15 PM.
Old 12/27/11, 11:31 PM
Just Plain Rude!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue_Ponygrl88
Hello all. I have a serious question. I drove my Mustang to work as usual. After work I came out to leave, I started my car put it in drive (it's a v6 automatic) and nothing. It just sat there and spun, I get no forward motion or reverse. I've had no problems
With the transmission slipping, or sputtering. I just now went over the 50K mile mark. It's currently sitting in the parking garage at work. The gear shift does move freely, and now mysteriously the battery is dead. I'm not sure if any of these relate. If anyone has any suggestions I'm open to them! Thank you!!
It will move in neutral, in fact it will
Roll in all the gears. And yes I can shift freely and down to 1st
So it will roll in all gears, but it acts like it's in neutreal regardless of what gear it's in? I just crossed 55,000mi. and I've noticed that sometimes my shifts don't make it to a gear (I shift to reverse, and it acts like it's in neutral and just revs. Or I shift to drive and it revs, then catches and launches forward.)
Old 12/27/11, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by stupidgenius36

So it will roll in all gears, but it acts like it's in neutreal regardless of what gear it's in? I just crossed 55,000mi. and I've noticed that sometimes my shifts don't make it to a gear (I shift to reverse, and it acts like it's in neutral and just revs. Or I shift to drive and it revs, then catches and launches forward.)
Yep that's exactly what it's doing. I'm
Replacing the battery tomorrow. My local ford dealer said that if that battery wasnt giving the sensors enough juice (I'm sure they're are proper terms for this lol) that it could very well be just the battery. Since after a few times of starting and rolling the battery died and its the original. So before towing tomorrow I'll replace it and update Hoping for the best!
Old 12/27/11, 11:52 PM
Just Plain Rude!

Best of luck! Hopefully that'll fix it for you. It's not my first recommendation...but if it works, be sure to let us know.
Old 12/28/11, 07:29 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
With the transmission slipping, or sputtering. I just now went over the 50K mile mark.
Hi Blue_Ponygrl88,

Please PM me if you have to get it towed to your Ford dealer. I can check for warranties, Recalls, or Customer Satisfaction Programs applicable to your vehicle and escalate this if needed. Just send me your VIN, dealer, mileage, and contact info.

Deysha
Old 12/28/11, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by stupidgenius36
Best of luck! Hopefully that'll fix it for you. It's not my first recommendation...but if it works, be sure to let us know.
Didn't work, the car will start now though. Must've been two unrelated problems. If anyone has any other suggestions before I take it to the dealer I would be greatly greatly appreciative! Thank you
Old 12/28/11, 11:24 AM

Did you check trans fluid level? Although there should be a puddle under the car if it leaked. Still sounds like a shift linkage.
Old 12/28/11, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
Did you check trans fluid level? Although there should be a puddle under the car if it leaked. Still sounds like a shift linkage.
Is there a way to check it? I don't like
This no dipstick business. There isn't a puddle, but if I can check it I def will.
Old 12/28/11, 02:14 PM
Just Plain Rude!

I wish there was a dipstick too. I'm gonna get the fluid changed probably next month, and hopefully that'll help. But other than that, I don't really have any ideas. Just gotta take it in, and see what the service dept. finds.
Old 12/28/11, 04:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is there a way to check it? I don't like
This no dipstick business. There isn't a puddle, but if I can check it I def will.
its really hard to check. you have to remove the center part of the drain plug and fill it with a hand pump up into the trans till it pours out, telling you its full. it should also be done when the trans is at operating temp.

sometimes if i`m parked forward on a hill, mine wont want to shift into reverse at first and then will catch and lunge a little. if i catch it fast enough i`ll drop it in N and let it roll back then shift into gear. just once in a while though. sounds like you already rolled it around a little though. that click is normal. does sound like a shifter issue maybe
Old 12/28/11, 07:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
Hi Blue_Ponygrl88,

Please PM me if you have to get it towed to your Ford dealer. I can check for warranties, Recalls, or Customer Satisfaction Programs applicable to your vehicle and escalate this if needed. Just send me your VIN, dealer, mileage, and contact info.

Deysha
wow- thanks for being here!!!!
Old 12/28/11, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by amustangrocks
its really hard to check. you have to remove the center part of the drain plug and fill it with a hand pump up into the trans till it pours out, telling you its full. it should also be done when the trans is at operating temp.

sometimes if i`m parked forward on a hill, mine wont want to shift into reverse at first and then will catch and lunge a little. if i catch it fast enough i`ll drop it in N and let it roll back then shift into gear. just once in a while though. sounds like you already rolled it around a little though. that click is normal. does sound like a shifter issue maybe
My boyfriend is wondering if it's the shifter cable or the torque converter? Anyone had problems with them before? Thanks

Last edited by Blue_Ponygrl88; 12/28/11 at 09:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Help! '07 Mustang wont drive