The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2005-2009 Mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f637/)
-   -   Grill Emblem (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f637/grill-emblem-544913/)

goldenpony 12/6/17 08:26 PM

Grill Emblem

Anybody ever removed the grill emblem? I have a 2006 and need to know how to remove it and install a new one. Can you help a brother out? :dunno:

m05fastbackGT 12/7/17 12:23 AM

IIRC, there should be either phillips or allen screws behind the emblem in the front grill :dunno:

05YellowGT 12/7/17 06:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a picture of the back, can't tell if they're some type of screw or rivets.

SpectreH 12/7/17 07:08 AM

Looks like a Phillips head screw or a rivet in that pic.

wanted33 12/7/17 07:59 AM

If I'm not mistaken these retainers are the screw type flat caps. Very difficult to remove with the bumper on the car. I saw a video some time back where the guy just reached behind the grill with some pliers, broke the pins off the old emblem, took the caps off the old pins, and used them to attach the new emblem. Probably the easiest thing to do. Problem is I can't remember the year model he was working on.....yeah I'm a gettin' old. :)

BTW, I thought about changing mine. But, when I looked at getting to the back of the thing I quickly decided the old one was fine.

goldenpony 12/7/17 11:24 AM

Would it be very hard to remove the entire grill to make the change?

m05fastbackGT 12/7/17 12:47 PM

Not so much that it's difficult, but can be time consuming as I've done it before.. Approx 9 years ago I was looking into doing a grill swap in which a friend of mine let my borrow his V6 pony package grill to find out if it would fit.. Needless to say, I ran into no issues uninstalling my OEM GT grill by first removing the radiator shroud, followed by removing the 10mm bolts on each side holding the upper portion of the bumper cover in place.. Last step is release the mounting tabs attached to the bumper cover.. There are no clips nor any flat screws that require having to be broken off in order to uninstall the grill.. Therefore you shouldn't run into any problems when uninstalling and reinstalling your grill.. Just take your time with a bit of patience and you'll be just fine :nice:

Edit: located this video from you tube.. Perhaps you'll find it useful, as it provides step by step instructions for uninstalling/reinstalling the front grill assembly..

wanted33 12/8/17 01:13 PM

There is a good video on YouTube on how to remove the bumper. I'm too lazy to do it, but it doesn't look very hard at all. :)

m05fastbackGT 12/8/17 03:10 PM

Jim, he just wants to uninstall his grille.. It doesn't require removing the front bumper at all.. Just saying lol.

wanted33 12/9/17 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT (Post 7022980)
Jim, he just wants to uninstall his grille.. It doesn't require removing the front bumper at all.. Just saying lol.

FYI, I'm too lazy to even do that Rocky......:rofl3:

But just in case I get energetic, how many beers does it take to change the grill. I want to be prepared. :grin:

m05fastbackGT 12/9/17 03:27 PM

I'll put it this way Jim.. The last time was 9 years ago and as I posted earlier it can be very time consuming and really takes some patience.. Needless to say, it took 7 beers to prevent your's truly from losing his patience lol. :cheers:

m05fastbackGT 12/10/17 01:00 PM

Once you get the hang of it after the first time, it doesn't take long at all and also much easier as well :nice:

Gigantor 12/12/17 11:15 PM

I believe you can reach in there with something flat and push the pins that hold the emblem on and force off the retaining pins. I did that and mounted the running pony on the back where the fake gas cap was. Looks good in my opinion.

wanted33 12/19/17 03:04 PM

OK fella's I told you I was lazy. I have been wanting a flat black pony emblem for my '06, but as you know I just didn't want to all that trouble. I saw this on Ebay, and though "Well that's cheap enough to give it a try". It arrived today, and it looks really good. I haven't put it on yet as the wife actually got it for a Christmas present, and you know she won't let her little boy have it until then. :) I'll let you know the details soon.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-2009-M...RWQaX-&vxp=mtr

m05fastbackGT 12/19/17 05:55 PM

Looks really awesome Jim.. Look forward to seeing some pics with it on your car as soon as you get off your lazy butt and get motivated.. Chop Chop :jester:

wanted33 12/21/17 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT (Post 7023278)
Looks really awesome Jim.. Look forward to seeing some pics with it on your car as soon as you get off your lazy butt and get motivated.. Chop Chop :jester:

:rofl2: Rocky, have you been talking to my dearest? You sound just like her. Or, are you repeating what you have heard from yours? :)

If the temps are agreeable (not to cold for the adhesive), I'll get it on there next week. I'll post up a pic.

m05fastbackGT 12/21/17 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by wanted33 (Post 7023334)
:rofl2: Rocky, have you been talking to my dearest? You sound just like her. Or, are you repeating what you have heard from yours? :)

If the temps are agreeable (not to cold for the adhesive), I'll get it on there next week. I'll post up a pic.

Hey Jim, as a matter of fact your dearest got a hold of my one and only and convinced her to log in under my username to make it look as though I was the one who posted getting off your lazy butt and get motivated, "Chop Chop"

So it wasn't me :rofl2: Anyway, I'll be looking forward to seeing the pics ;)

wanted33 12/21/17 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT (Post 7023340)
Hey Jim, as a matter of fact your dearest got a hold of my one and only and convinced her to log in under my username to make it look as though I was the one who posted getting off your lazy butt and get motivated, "Chop Chop"

So it wasn't me :rofl2: Anyway, I'll be looking forward to seeing the pics ;)

Sadly I would not doubt that at all. :) You know how women are, they just can't understand the "planning, and preparation" stage of the job at hand. I've tried to explain it to my dearest that this most important stage could take anywhere from one hour to one month depending on the job. Of course I just got "the look", a head shake, and the walkaway in disbelief. Apparently that's in the guidelines as described in the "Women's Handbook on how to handle your Man". :dunno:

But, I do love that woman. If it wasn't for her I would probably be living under a bridge. :)

m05fastbackGT 12/21/17 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by wanted33 (Post 7023344)
Sadly I would not doubt that at all. :) You know how women are, they just can't understand the "planning, and preparation" stage of the job at hand. I've tried to explain it to my dearest that this most important stage could take anywhere from one hour to one month depending on the job. Of course I just got "the look", a head shake, and the walkaway in disbelief. Apparently that's in the guidelines as described in the "Women's Handbook on how to handle your Man". :dunno:

But, I do love that woman. If it wasn't for her I would probably be living under a bridge. :)

I couldn't agree more my friend, no doubt about it :nice:

wanted33 12/29/17 11:25 AM

Here's some pictures of the emblem cover I bought on Ebay for your consideration. No bumper removal required. :)

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/themust...bbda8e564a.jpg

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/themust...810c74cccc.jpg