2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Got Pulled Over This Morning, First Time

Search this Thread

Old 3/14/05, 09:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by DADS05@March 13, 2005, 1:45 PM
:angry: :angry: :angry:
Guess he had nothing better to do like stop a murder somewhere.

If he was a traffic cop then homicide doesn't come into play.

But really guys... Stupid law or no it is law so quit whining about it. Fortunately here in Washington State the law was dropped sometime ago. But considering you'll have a plate on the front of your car does it really matter that you had to add it?
Old 3/14/05, 09:31 AM
FR500 Member

I don't understand the problem of putting holes in the front bumper for a plate. Once you put the plate on, you aren't going to see the holes. And the plate will always be there to hide them. Next thing, people will be complaining about putting 4 holes in the rear bumper and trying to get away with not having a plate in the back. If you live where it's the law to have a front palte and everyone has it... you not having one is going to make your car stick out like a sore thumb. When you are driving and you see a car with no rear plate your eyes are drawn right to the spot where the plate is supposed to be. It draws attention to that spot, when if the car had a plate, you wouldn't even see it. I'm sure it's the same if everyone around you has a front plate. The fact that you don't is going to make people look at that spot on your car because something is missing and it looks different. Instead of them looking at your car as a whole which is what you want. Just put the front plate on. It'll disappear just like everyone elses. And as far as the holes, you'll never see them.
Old 3/14/05, 11:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by acadian@March 14, 2005, 10:34 AM
I don't understand the problem of putting holes in the front bumper for a plate. Once you put the plate on, you aren't going to see the holes. And the plate will always be there to hide them.
Amen

:ranting:

BTW... The little rant guy is great. Especially for me because I rant a lot.
Old 3/14/05, 11:18 AM
FR500 Member

I completely forgot to add the rant guy. That was definitely a rant too. Oh well... there's always next time.
Old 3/14/05, 11:20 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You got lucky. The cops around here know that there is no bracket for the front license plate.
Old 3/14/05, 11:22 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Completely agree with a lot of the posts. If it is the law in your area get over it. Do I "prefer" the looks of the car without the front plate? On the GT yes, on the V6 no because the V6 looks dumb with the indent for the plate if you don't have one. So I have 2 options, install the plate and drive around and have fun, leave the plate off and constantly get pulled over and get tickets. I installed the plate.
Old 3/14/05, 12:08 PM
FR500 Member

That's funny, adrenalin... I have seen many pics of your car, including the front. And I never once noticed your plate. Go figure.
Old 3/14/05, 12:41 PM
Retired Tms Staff

blends in with the stripes I guess
Old 3/14/05, 05:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

I believe a cop posted on here once about this. He said most cops attitude about the front license plate law is that if they have to drill holes in the front of their bumper, so does everyone else.

It's a crappy law, I agree, but I think we should lay off the cops. They're just enforcing the law. Besides, this cop was pretty nice. He admitted seeing the guy's car for awhile before he pulled him over, which means he gave him time to get his license plate on. Then when the cop finally pulled him over, he gave him yet another chance by meting out a warning. The cop could've pulled him over the day the guy's temps expired and given him a ticket, but he didn't.

If we want to change the laws, that's up to us, the people, not the cops. We need to elect politicans who represent our views so the laws are changed. If we keep reelecting politicans who don't care about/support highway speed limit and front license plate laws, then we have no one to blame but ourselves.
Old 3/14/05, 07:40 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by 97svtgoin05gt@March 13, 2005, 2:22 PM
Pulled out of getting the car cleaned and got on it a little bit, nothing horrible. Then, a little ways down the road...here come the cherries.

:scratch:

I'm thinking..hmm....what did I do??? Had no idea.

Cop comes to the window, says "Where's your front license plate??"

I said "umm....I expect it very soon, waiting on the dealer to get the bracket". Didn't know what else to say. Can't say "I don't want to mess up the front of this thing with a stupid license plate." I whipped the plate up from under the seat. "Here it is." He says "It's supposed to be on the front of the car, not under the seat". Walks away. I really thought I was toast for license plate ticket.

He came back with a warning. "I hope you get that bracket soon, I see you've had the car for some time" "Yes officer, I will call them this week."

Hate this. Really don't want to do this and I really thought they'd leave me alone. It's just not going to happen.

:notnice:

i had the same problem with the NJSP with my SVT Focus...but had my plate in the window...ugh.

Oh well.
Old 3/14/05, 09:30 PM

Actually I got pulled over 3 times already (in one month).
First one for pulling a red light (there were just too many on that one road, Palisades Ave Union City), no ticket just a warning
Second in Vermont for speeding 80 where the speed limit was 65 (100 dollar fine, not too bad)
Third one again on Palisades Ave Union City. This time I did stop for the traffic light. However, when the light hit green I got a little to excited, Powershifted from first to second tracktion control working in full gear. No burned rubber though and not exceeding the speed limit. There came the 'cherries' and he pulled me over. Got my papers, but the cop just sat there waiting. Second cop car pulls in front of me. Still nothing happening. Then a third cop car pulls in front of me, WTF??? They all get out, checking out my ride. "Fast ride, eh" I confirm his question. "I bet it's hard to keep the urge under control, isn't it?" I confirm again. "Yeah, but you really have to try to keep your right foot under control" "Sweet ride though" "Take it easy and have a good day"....
Old 3/14/05, 10:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Isn't it ironic that if you don't like a law it's automatically a bad law.

However......something that's puzzled me. If you live in a state that requires a front license plate, why is it legal for shops to sell novelty plates?
Old 3/15/05, 07:00 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by rap1977@March 14, 2005, 9:33 AM
Sorry for the rant.
You're entitled. You have a tough job that most people couldn't or wouldn't be able to do. And good cops have to take the heat (no pun intended) for the actions of bad cops. Keep safe!
Old 3/15/05, 07:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Hm. It's the law. And I guess, with all that attention a Mustang gets in the street, they are inclined to be tougher on regulations. I mean, everyone (well, amost) will notice your car. And if you get away with not having a front plate, why should anyone else in their econoboxes have one?
Old 3/15/05, 10:01 AM
Bullitt Member

I got pulled over 3 weeks ago for 5 over, 65 in a 60. He gave me a ticket.

Got pulled over yesterday, I had no idea why. As soon as I saw him I looked at my speed which I had set to 70mph with cruise and it appeared I was going just at 70(maybe the needlewidth over). I considered this as close as humanly possible to 70mph

He gave me a written warning for 73mph, Ive driven the same route for 2+ years at the same speeds and not once been pulled over before.

This new blue Mustang is definalty getting more attention than my 2001 Grey one.
Old 3/15/05, 12:24 PM
She's Back and Strapped!

Riddle me this:

If I dont have a front plate, can they still ticket me on those photo lights?

I was cruising through an intersection, an area I am not familiar with. I went to turn right, the light was yellow/red. I think I got into the intersection at the same time as the light turned. I saw flashbulbs. Then I thought, "*#$%^! Those are expensive tickets." I call my husband, and wonder, it was legal to turn right on a red, there was no oncoming traffic, but it would still put me in the intersection on a red. Did I break the law? Should I get a ticket? Being that I was turning, and I have no front plate, does it really matter?

I guess we will just have to wait and see what the mailman brings. If I get a ticket, I am going to fight it. Its legal to turn right on a red, (no posted signs) and since it was yellow when I began my turn, I didnt need to stop.
Old 3/15/05, 08:33 PM

I agree that limo tint makes a cops life harder. So do most of our freedoms, the bill of rights, and so on. In states that don't have it, the death rate isn't measurably higher than in states that do have laws against it. It could be solved much better with a policy that cops that pull people over just say, "roll down your windows" over their PA.

Obviously people can't see our lights or hear our sirens when we are going to an emergency call or when we are trying to move traffic to over take a different car, so, what would lead you to believe you could hear a voice say "roll down your windows" over their PA. ?????????

If everyone had common sense and used it, then everyone with dark tinted windows would roll their windows down when they were stopped by the police without being told to do so, just because it was the right thing to do. As a result there would be no legislation required to force some type of compliance to a law that may or may not be warranted.

BUT, as you know, most people that have common sense all ready know that so they just accept the fact that most laws are caused by the idiots who fail to use or have common sense.

Realistically, if it weren't for law enforcement helping to maintain some type of measurable accountability for your actions as you deal with others in society then believe it or not, there are human beings that would resort to a more animalistic approach to life. You see without some type of accountability you would be living in a National Geographic video. A more dominant human would see that you had something he wanted, or you failed to avert your gaze, or maybe he was just horny and now you have to suffer the consequences of being just a little less dominate by being force to submit to him HOWEVER he chooses. That is, if you are lucky enough only to be beaten into submission instead of killed.

So, in the future you can look at the small laws as being bothersome or you can appreciate them for being the little things that keep people from doing really bad things.
Old 3/15/05, 08:47 PM
She's Back and Strapped!

Hey Chris, where you are at do you use those photo lights? I am wondering if I have to worry about getting a ticket on my red light right turn.... does the camera get the back of the vehicle when it is in the intersection, or entering it?

BTW, not only do I roll down the windows EVERY TIME, but I make sure to keep eye contact, hands on the wheel at all times, and inform the officer of my moves before I make them. Cant tell you how many times I ended up with just a warning.
Old 3/15/05, 08:52 PM

Originally posted by JessicaRabbitt@March 15, 2005, 9:50 PM
Hey Chris, where you are at do you use those photo lights? I am wondering if I have to worry about getting a ticket on my red light right turn.... does the camera get the back of the vehicle when it is in the intersection, or entering it?

It takes a picture of the rear plate, that is why States are making laws that prevent covers or brackets that obscure or obstruct the legibility of any of the letters or numbers on the plates.
Old 3/15/05, 08:55 PM
She's Back and Strapped!

Dern it all... I thought not having my front plate would help ... oh well, I will be fighting it. I dont know why it went off, I was making a legal right hand turn, but I was in the intersection on a red. Is it possible they will see I was making a right turn and not issue a ticket?

Quick Reply: Got Pulled Over This Morning, First Time