Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Fuel fillup problems

Search this Thread

Old 11/27/12, 02:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel fillup problems

I have an interesting problem that has just started to manifest itself and I'm hoping that the community here could give me some insight as to what may be causing this.

The first time this happened was approximately 1 month ago. The next time it occurred was last week (Monday). And it has now happened the last two times I've filled up.

What happens is this. I'll be low on fuel, typically when the "Less than 50 miles" warning comes up. I'll pull into the station, start to fill up, and around approximately 1/2 tank full the pump will shut off like it's full. But I've only put in anywhere from 4-7 gallons, obviously not full. I'll restart the pump and as I put any pressure on the pump handle to start the flow of fuel it will immediately shut off. I can continue to fuel the car, but at such a very slow trickle. Today, it took me about 5 more minutes to put another 4 gallons in the car.

This is the same behavior that has happened about 6 times now. It happens at a variety of stations. As another piece of the puzzle, I'm in California with the vapor recovery nozzles on the gas pumps.

What do you guys think? What should I be checking? What may be causing this?
Old 11/27/12, 02:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is a TSB on this problem. I don't know if Ford still does it for free with the car being out of warranty.

Earl
Old 11/27/12, 05:05 PM
GT Member

I hate this issue. Always happens to mine when it gets real low and I try filling up. Drives me insane.
Old 11/27/12, 06:33 PM
Number Cruncher

You might want to check out this thread.

https://themustangsource.com/f637/fu...x-ford-467376/
Old 11/27/12, 08:03 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Lennyb44
You might want to check out this thread.

https://themustangsource.com/f637/fu...x-ford-467376/
Yup - and check out post #13. I did it and it's been fine ever since. I'm guessing that it'd fix OP's problem as well, especially since it developed over time which could indicate an obstruction forming in the vent system, anything from a type of buildup to a cobweb.
Old 11/28/12, 10:44 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
heres John's thread from a few months prior to the one referenced above- good info, seems like it was just a few days ago

https://themustangsource.com/f739/fu...advise-462079/

hard to believe thats been like 4 yrs ago already
Old 11/29/12, 01:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for the information guys (and maybe gals). I will definitely investigate the EVAP canisters this weekend, cuz everything that I read in the referenced threads is exactly what Im experiencing. As an FYI, my car was built in April of 2006, so not sure when the 'redesigned' tank showed up.

I'll report back what happens.
Old 11/29/12, 05:22 PM
I lust for a M24

Originally Posted by MikuhlBrian
Thanks for the information guys (and maybe gals). I will definitely investigate the EVAP canisters this weekend, cuz everything that I read in the referenced threads is exactly what Im experiencing. As an FYI, my car was built in April of 2006, so not sure when the 'redesigned' tank showed up.

I'll report back what happens.
Just take it apart and blow compressed air through there (with your air compressor for air tools, not a keyboard cleaner aerosol can). I've been good since that thread that Tim posted of mine a few years ago. Keep an eye open when you do it and see if anything, dust, etc flies out of there when you blow everything out. Good luck. I remember how frustrating it was.
Old 11/30/12, 12:32 PM
Bullitt Member

I did have to fill up last night. Based on what I read from you guys as to what the problem was, I filled up on the fastest fuel fill setting until I hit 6 gallons. Then I pulled the nozzle out, let it vent for about a minute, then started filling again on the slowest setting. That worked, I was able to get a full tank. Will try to take apart the EVAP this weekend and blow it out.
Old 12/2/12, 09:05 AM
Bullitt Member

My 07 only occasionally has this problem and it seems to stem from certain types of fuel nozzles at random gas stations. I've normally only had the problem while traveling and using unfamiliar gas stations. I've NEVER had it happen at the 2 or 3 local stations that I use regularly. Certain nozzles seem to be a particular culprit. I can usually get around the early shut off by rotating the offending nozzle 45 or 90 degrees, but this doesn't work every single time.
Old 12/4/12, 04:45 AM
Team Mustang Source

I turn the nozzle handle to the 1 o'clock position and it fills up full squeeze.
Old 12/5/12, 01:19 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had this issue as well and it was driving me nuts. What I found when I was under the car working on my mufflers was that the rubber hose that comes from the tank to vent it had come off its clips so it was kinked and not allowing for it to breathe. I put it back on its clips and got it all situated and haven't had a filler problem since and this was over a year ago that I did it.

-danny