2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Floor Jack and Jack stand suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 6/13/10, 03:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Floor Jack and Jack stand suggestions

I've got a 2008 GT with the CDC classic chin spoiler and stock ride height. I'd like to get a floor jack and jack stand combo. I'm just curious which ones you guys like and have had good luck with. Do I need a low profile one, or would a regular floor jack work since my car isn't lowered? I'd like to get them so I can start doing my own tire rotations and oil changes and for any other mods that might require me getting under the car.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions.
Old 6/13/10, 03:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

I've got a very big heavy floor jack that I've had for about ten years, but ever since I got my lightweight aluminum blue floor jack from Harbor Freight 5 or 6 years ago, that's about all I use. I originally got the HF jack for changing tires at autocrosses and track days, but have been using it most of the time in my garage too. There are coupons all over for the jack for $60, I'm planning to pick up a 2nd one as a spare one of these days.
Old 6/13/10, 05:30 PM
Bullitt Member

aluminum ''race" jack, but you may want to get some 2x6's to drive upon to assist.
Old 6/13/10, 06:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

I forgot to mention, I also use hockey pucks between the jack and the car to prevent any metal to metal contact and potential scratches. As to jack stands, I have three different pair I've picked up over the years, none of them are anything special, all three sets are the typical ratchet/tooth kind, the tallest and heaviest duty pair are from Sears IIRC. I also have polyurethane jack stand pads that fit on top of the saddle of the jack stand to prevent metal to metal contact under the car.
Old 6/13/10, 07:46 PM
Cobra R Member

My Buddy had one of these, worked flawlessly.
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/80033/10002/-1

Old 6/14/10, 12:47 AM

The type of jack shown in the picture above, with the roller instead of two front wheels is usually called a racing jack.
This type of jack will get under a car more easily than one with two wheels in front.

This type of jack is also very dangerous as they tip over incredibly easily...unless used on a very flat surface of pavement or concrete.

I have one similar to the one above...bought it because it is aluminum and weighs considerably less than my old floor jack.

I have had it tip over twice, scared the **** out of me, broke the handles on it's sides...and I am not a novice jack user.

Wish I had my old heavier jack back (with two wheels in front)...much safer and saner.

Maybe they make a jack with four wheels and still out of aluminum...that would be a good choice.

The wider the jack itself is, and the farther the wheels are apart in width as well as length makes a much safer jack.

The more you spend on a jack, the better quality you get, and the longer it will last.

I have no recommendation for jack stands. Usually if you get them in combination with a jack, the product is made to have an affordable price, and to do so, they cut costs and you get junk. I would therefore advise buying stands and a jack separately.

Last edited by S197GT05; 6/14/10 at 01:18 AM.
Old 6/14/10, 01:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by S197GT05
The type of jack shown in the picture above, with the roller instead of two front wheels is usually called a racing jack.
This type of jack will get under a car more easily than one with two wheels in front.

This type of jack is also very dangerous as they tip over incredibly easily...unless used on a very flat surface of pavement or concrete.

I have one similar to the one above...bought it because it is aluminum and weighs considerably less than my old floor jack.

I have had it tip over twice, scared the **** out of me, broke the handles on it's sides...and I am not a novice jack user.
What were you doing with a jack like that where you had it tip over on you twice? I've had mine for 5-6 years, used it a lot to change tires at autocrosses, I've used it on asphalt, grass, dirt, gravel, on pieces of plywood, on the plastic floor tiles in my garage, on the side of the road to change a flat tire, etc, and never had it tip over.
Old 6/14/10, 03:21 AM

I am new to this site as of yesterday.
Tried to write a private message to Ministang but the site said it would not accept 2346 characters...and that just makes me mad because I can't write anything in a few words...so won't bother any further.

Last edited by S197GT05; 6/14/10 at 03:22 AM.
Old 6/14/10, 04:44 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by 2010MustangGT
My Buddy had one of these, worked flawlessly.
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/80033/10002/-1

That is the one I have. Works great for me!
Old 6/14/10, 12:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by S197GT05
I am new to this site as of yesterday.
Tried to write a private message to Ministang but the site said it would not accept 2346 characters...and that just makes me mad because I can't write anything in a few words...so won't bother any further.
Why not just post a reply here in public?
Old 6/14/10, 08:00 PM
Bullitt Member

So the kind with the two wheels in front will fit under the car if it hasn't been lowered and it has a chin spoiler?
Old 6/14/10, 08:11 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I have this jack and it works really well. Most floor jacks can't slide far enough under a lower stang. Especially if you have a body kit like I do with a ROUSH. The draft profile on this jack is two to three times more than the average floor jack.

FLOOR JACK>

Old 6/15/10, 10:09 AM
Bullitt Member

To the post above: whats the brand and cost on something like that? Now that my GT is newly lowered, I didnt know the headaches involved with attempting to use my current floor jack until I changed out my wheels last month.

I've been on the lookout for one but never really done any research into it.

Andretti
Old 6/15/10, 12:13 PM
GT Member

Just drive up on a 2 x4 or 2x6 and you can use any jack.
Old 6/15/10, 01:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Is it safe to use a 3000lb jack on our cars? I know if you're only lifting one side the full weight of the car won't be on the jack, but just curious if anybody's ever run close to exceeding it.
Old 6/15/10, 03:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by jedikd
Is it safe to use a 3000lb jack on our cars? I know if you're only lifting one side the full weight of the car won't be on the jack, but just curious if anybody's ever run close to exceeding it.
Yes. I can go out and look at the corner weights (and side-to-side and front-to-back) weights from when I weighed my Mustang, but lifting one corner or even one side or one end of a Mustang, the jack won't see anything close to 3000 lbs.
Old 6/16/10, 06:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by chabbz182
Just drive up on a 2 x4 or 2x6 and you can use any jack.

I realize thats an option....I had to do it when I was changing my wheels out. I'm just curious if there are jacks out there that dont cost millions that will go underneath a lowered car without having to drive it up on 2X4's or whatever. I'd rather not have to deal with doing that if I can.

Andretti
Old 6/16/10, 07:30 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Andretti1
To the post above: whats the brand and cost on something like that? Now that my GT is newly lowered, I didnt know the headaches involved with attempting to use my current floor jack until I changed out my wheels last month.

I've been on the lookout for one but never really done any research into it.

Andretti
The link is in his post, it's just labeled "Floor jack" instead of the url

http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...ack-67045.html

I was also considering picking that jack up, I have to do the board method and it's still annoying on the front when going for the Kmember as my current jack, the handle receptacle is under the bumper. Wondering if that one is long enough to be under the kmember AND extending out in front of the car.
Old 6/17/10, 10:21 PM
Bullitt Member

I think I'm going to hit a couple garage sales this weekend because there were some floor jacks advertised. Anything in particular I should look at to make sure the quality is good in case I find one for a good deal? If not, I saw harbor freight had one for $60 that I might go pick up.
Old 6/18/10, 12:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought a low profile floor jack from Harbor Freight... about $60.00... works great. I also have a chin spoiler.

Quick Reply: Floor Jack and Jack stand suggestions