2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fixed my interior water leak! No more wet floorboards!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11/10/15, 10:34 AM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Had the same wet floor board on the passenger side after several consecutive days of rain this past summer here in FL. Didn't know where the water came from, until I read about this post. Cleaned out the clogged rubber drain, but now I need to make sure to check it more often.

Now the other strange thing I need to figure out is why my driver side seatbelt has been getting wet during a down pour. Wonder if there's another clogged drain I am missing.

Last edited by jt14894; 11/10/15 at 10:36 AM.
Old 11/23/15, 01:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Wet floors

This is the same as I have going on , I thought it was the convertible top but after buying a new top and having it installed found out it wasn't the top but what you say it is something is clogged . I wish your pictures were still up if it was to show how to clean them out.
Old 11/23/15, 06:38 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Do a search for TSB 08-26-07, there are several places it can leak.
Old 2/3/16, 02:16 PM

hi everyone. my wife has had the water problem for years and this past weekend i decided i would tackle her issue being we've only been together for a lil over a year and she was getting fed up with the water pooling up. so after we've been gettin other jobs around the house done with i finally had a chance to get to tackling the problem. after reading all the tsb's and other posts i decided to think outside the box, and go with a all weather 100%silicone sealant to use. well one of the major problems was the rubber gromment under the cowl which empties right into the engine bay outside the fire wall. so i just completely removed it altogether and didn't replace it and then i had cleaned off the areas around the cowl clips that are mounted to the body. once i cleaned them i put a thin bead of silicone around the entire clip section that meets the body and put the cowl back in place. the other leak area was in the trunk area. the major contirbutors to that leak was the third brake light foam gasket, spoiler screws and the tail light screws. the foam on the third brake light was gone nothing really left there had to remove the light cover and used the silicone to make a new gasket for it. the screws that were im guessing to have rubber gaskets on them didnt have any at all which was letting water leak inside the trunk. did the same thing there took some silicone and went around the base of the outside mounting half of the screws and while the silicone was drying went ahead and re-attached the spoiler and lights. update after a 3in rainfall last night the front floor boards aren't wet and neither the trunk but now i've managed to find another leak pretty sure its not a new on in the back floor board area behind the drivers side seat. any ideas possibly being i havent seen much for that area inside of the cars. its a 06 gt. and yes the windows roll all the way back up when you close the doors and the wife was sitting inside sun. when i tested the fix out somewhat via pressure washer but the water leak in the back floor wasnt noticeable or even there then so not sure where it could be coming from.
Old 2/3/16, 04:59 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
I just put mine back together last night, around midnight...had it sitting inside with heat on in the garage, dehumidifier inside the car(sitting on the folded down rear seats, windows cracked about a inch, carpet elevated, trunk/spare emptied out), the prior fixes(pulled the cowl drains and left out, new window seals behind the plastic trim) have held ok, it only really left the cowl clip/inserts...

yes, they were all loose as heck, like the cheep little square foam gaskets deteriorated...flat as paper

the two farthest towards passenger side had the 'gaskets' where you could see the holes- stretched kinda wide across the center... anyways, popped the wiper arms off- man were they stuck...didnt want to pull my hood for clearance, found my old imperial eastman tube flaring tool fit well like a gear puller, but tee handle hit the hood- took it apart, used a pin thru the hole as a handle, got them to pop with the hood still on the car(ive got a 'glass hood- thicker than standard, not a lot of room for a puller) and pulled the drivers side cowl cover off too...10 inserts total, all were loose, surely ANY/ALL of them would drip if water ran over them...stupid design for certain.
I used 'automotive goop' adhesive, removed the useless crushed foam, glued them in permanently- 'goop' is kinda neat in that it dries clear and stays flexible- holds tight as heck and dries within a hour.

was glad to see that 2 yrs later, even with all our pine needles plugging everything else, pulling the cowl drains worked great- spotlessly clean on both sides, save a little dust and a maple seed had reached up in a couple times a year from the bottom of the open cowl, always felt clean, but looking in, it was truly spotless inside

another age related issue popped up too- windshield is failing... my old dodge and Ford pickups both had this same issue that eventually ruined the glass... the edge seailing is inadequate, moisture starts degrading the adhesive between glass layers- my other cars went from a little foggy edge to 3" of white around the perimeter in 2-3 years...I dont know if it might help, but I smeared a bead of 'goop' around the underside edge of the glass, hoping to head off progression of the glass deterioration... only time will tell.

heres a pic of the plastic inserts for those that havent seen them- these WILL be a problem on every mustang as they age, suggest everyone think about adding them to the to-do list...plus pulling the wiper arms gives opportunity to give them a coat of paint- as the cars are up to a decade old, most of them might be needing some touchup

the insert obviously in red circle- there are ten pcs total, and the yellow boxed area is the glass delamination/fogging issue... the cowl covers hide a couple inches, if it stops here its no big deal... there were two areas like this towards center, and a worse area on one bottom corner, hard to get a pic of that as its kinda under the hood corner.
added another pic of one of the old gaskets- as you can see the center is bowed outward a bit...think just age/expansion-contraction of the plastic cowl cover scrubbing them back and forth deteriorates them...
Attached Thumbnails Fixed my interior water leak!  No more wet floorboards!!!-cheep-plugs.jpg  
Attached Images    

Last edited by ford4v429; 2/3/16 at 05:41 PM.
Old 2/3/16, 05:29 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
while I'm sharing leak pics, heres some from 2011 of my window molding issue- first pic shows seal bulged out, both sides were like this, both were pouring water in at the carwash... popped them off, replaced with some single sided,closed cell weatherstrip from the hardware store, still holding 5 yrs later, and not bulging out like Ford's material did...

you cant see the new weatherstrip at all, but its important
Attached Images    
Old 5/19/16, 10:10 PM

https://latemodel.cachefly.net/downl...sb08-26-07.pdf
Old 5/20/16, 07:14 AM

Water leak in a 2004 Ford Mustang

I saw the post that you have for a 2005 Ford Mustang about the water leaking and mine is a 2004 Ford Mustang convertible 40th anniversary edition my question was my carpets in the front and rear sometimes get wet when it's raining a lot I'm not quite sure where the water is getting in being disabled I'm not able to check it myself butt is there somewhere I could find the same information that you posted on an 05 Mustang but just for an 04 Mustang it would greatly be appreciated thank you
Old 5/20/16, 09:24 AM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,965 Likes on 1,590 Posts
Look in the SN-95 forums..