The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2005-2009 Mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f637/)
-   -   Factory Exhaust?? (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f637/factory-exhaust-450777/)

Tampa07GTCS 4/17/07 10:41 AM

Factory Exhaust??

Anyone getting Drone coming off the Factory Exhaust on the GT. I am getting annoying Drone around 30-40mph on my factory Gt Exhaust. Anyone else getting this? Even though I am about to switch to GTA's which are not supposed to have any drone either, I just want to check to see what others are getting?

metroplex 4/17/07 10:45 AM

Yes! I have a manual GT with the stock mufflers and it drones at certain speeds.

It's an awesome sound and it sounds fantastic for a factory stock exhaust. It gurgles while idling and sort of roars when you get on the gas. It's not obnoxiously loud, nor is it on-par with the aftermarket axle-backs, but for other cars, you need to spend $1000+ to get the same exhaust sound.

davisinla 4/17/07 10:56 AM

Weird. I've heard nothing that I would call an "annoying drone" when my exhaust was stock or even after I added the GTAs. Quite the contrary. When driving normally, I'm hardly aware of the exhaust at all. And when driving more aggressively, the sound is more like "music"! :)

Tampa07GTCS 4/17/07 11:36 AM

The stock exhaust sounds amazing when starting and when driving fast.... but when you are cruising through a neighborhood around 30mph....and all you hear is a constant "drone" sound.... it get annoying!

davisinla 4/17/07 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Tampa07GTCS (Post 894123)
The stock exhaust sounds amazing when starting and when driving fast.... but when you are cruising through a neighborhood around 30mph....and all you hear is a constant "drone" sound.... it get annoying!

What gear are you guys in at 30 mph when you're hearing this "drone"? What RPM?

FLAstangx3 4/17/07 11:53 AM

Betting they have Auto's. And using the wrong octane causing excessive burn. JMHO!!

Tampa07GTCS 4/17/07 12:04 PM

I do have an Auto.... running 93oct

metroplex 4/17/07 12:11 PM

I have a bone stock manual, running 87 octane gas with some Sta-bil left over from the winter.

Sometimes in 4th gear at 2000 RPM, if I hammer the throttle I will hear drone. Mostly the drone occurs at around 2000 RPM when the engine lugs a bit more. I don't hear any drone in 1st or 2nd gear.

kevinb120 4/17/07 01:32 PM

Its only a tiny little drone, I like driving around parking lots in 1st right on it around 2500 rpm. I also like how she spits and backfires a little bit when first warming up.

BrianB 4/17/07 02:29 PM

What is "drone"

mseymour3 4/17/07 02:30 PM

I have an auto and run the 87 as well, but what slight drone I have around those speeds is very pleasing to my ears. In fact, as of right now, I plan to add stingers one day, so I had better enjoy drone from what I've heard.

RobK 4/17/07 02:59 PM

I think some folks here are a bit off base regarding what drone actually is. It's the resonant frequency of the exhaust that significantly amplifies the sound as the two pipes/mufflers get in phase. This would only occur at a steady state - i.e. constant RPM and thus constant speed. I'm not so sure you'd ever achieve it while accelerating or decelerating except for a super brief time. I've been in cars with horrible drone that makes you want to stick plugs in your ears. It can literally be painful.

metroplex 4/17/07 03:31 PM

I have horrible drone in my 00 Vic with my rusted exhaust, and the GT doesn't have as much volume but the drone is still there. I can make it sound really loud or really quiet, that is the beauty of a manual transmission.

I too like how it starts up in the morning...

Vermillion06 4/17/07 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by RobK (Post 894348)
I think some folks here are a bit off base regarding what drone actually is. It's the resonant frequency of the exhaust that significantly amplifies the sound as the two pipes/mufflers get in phase. This would only occur at a steady state - i.e. constant RPM and thus constant speed. I'm not so sure you'd ever achieve it while accelerating or decelerating except for a super brief time. I've been in cars with horrible drone that makes you want to stick plugs in your ears. It can literally be painful.

That's my definition exactly. I had flowmasters on my '98 Stang and cruising at 3000 RPM , I'd get this overpoweringly loud "vibration" sound I could feel and hear. It would give me headaches if I drove at that speed for very long. If I brought the speed up or dropped down to where it was turning 2500 RPM, the irritating sound would go away...

I don't get that irritating drone at all with the factory exhaust in my '06...

SteelTownStang 4/17/07 05:30 PM

Drone with the stock exhaust... please. Take a ride with someone who owns Stingers... now that's drone. What you think is drone is simply the awesome sound of a V8.

SteelTownStang 4/17/07 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by BrianB (Post 894317)
What is "drone"

There are countless posts on this subject. To get an idea of what drone sounds like, put your fingers in your ears and hum... I had a set of Stingers... put your fingers in your ears and scream... :banghead:

metroplex 4/17/07 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by SteelTownStang (Post 894523)
Drone with the stock exhaust... please. Take a ride with someone who owns Stingers... now that's drone. What you think is drone is simply the awesome sound of a V8.

My Vic has nasty drone that makes my head hurt, so I know what drone sounds like (first hand). I'll agree the stock GT doesn't have nearly as MUCH drone, but it drones nonetheless which is surprising for a factory exhaust.

I like the sound of the 4.6 3V and the TR-3650. It sounds more "whirry" than the 4.6 2V/4R70W.

bboren 4/17/07 09:46 PM

supposedly everyone that rides in my car says it drones like crazy. even after the catless hpipe the drone doesnt bother me. definantly never had it at stock

kevinb120 4/17/07 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by metroplex (Post 894564)
My Vic has nasty drone that makes my head hurt, so I know what drone sounds like (first hand). I'll agree the stock GT doesn't have nearly as MUCH drone, but it drones nonetheless which is surprising for a factory exhaust.

I like the sound of the 4.6 3V and the TR-3650. It sounds more "whirry" than the 4.6 2V/4R70W.

They are definitely noisy contraptions, me likey :nice: