2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Extra Horsepower??

Search this Thread

Old 1/30/07, 08:44 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
If your worrying about something as simple as an intake and a tune just do yourself a favor and keep it stock.
I fail to grasp the point of your advice. But maybe I'm just slow today...

Old 1/30/07, 09:20 PM
TDS
Super Moderator
TMS Staff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excuss me,

But your constant Bit@@ing, about the Car , that you do not have yet has me wondering, What the he!! is your problem?

Buy the car then you can Bit@@ about it.

TDS
Old 1/30/07, 11:40 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by TDS
Excuss me,

But your constant Bit@@ing, about the Car , that you do not have yet has me wondering, What the he!! is your problem?

Buy the car then you can Bit@@ about it.

TDS
Excuse ME. What Bit@@ing...?

Got somethin' to say to me? Say it plain, mate.
Old 1/31/07, 06:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

What was this topic about?

Oh yeah, a CAI and tune. There is more than ample information on these boards about them. Easiest thing you can do. Get a package from Brenspeed or Bamachips that includes the CAI, tuner, and tunes. It's easier than changing the oil. Hell, it's easier than washing the car. It works very well, it's safe, and it's quick. Just as easy to switch back to stock, it's a very un-evasive mod.

If anyone is planning to modify their 'Stang, this is a no-brainer. The only exception would be if you plan on forced induction, then one might not bother!
Old 1/31/07, 07:32 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BC_Shelby
Also, if you need to flash it back to stock, it's not QUITE as simple as TacoBill says. You also have to remove your new CAI and put the stock air box back in...

The truth is I am considering it, and prompted this debate intentionally because I don't want to frak up my new car.
Agreed. If you can't break loose a few clamps and undo some bolts, installing and removing a CAI can be rather challenging.

I think what BC is trying to say through all his debating is that he's unsure if he wants to install a CAI & tune or keep it stock. And, if he does go for a tune, he's once again unsure who to get it from despite all of our suggestions.

When you get your car, drive it around for a few months bone stock. Once you get used to the power and its looks, you'll be back here looking for suggestions on modifying it.
Old 1/31/07, 07:39 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I always enjoy reading TacoBill's how-to writeups and looking at his mod photo albums! I'll most likely get used to the throttle lag and keep it stock for the time being.
Old 1/31/07, 01:37 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by TacoBill
Agreed. If you can't break looks...

There's the challenging bit right there.

All joking aside, sure, anyone can loosen clamps and undo bolts...the trick is not frakking things up with an admittedly sensitive fuel/air management system.

As to all the advice around here; it is often contradictory and conflicting, meaning the more opinions are tendered, the more difficult it can be to sift out the wheat from the chaff.
Old 1/31/07, 01:50 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BC_Shelby

There's the challenging bit right there.

All joking aside, sure, anyone can loosen clamps and undo bolts...the trick is not frakking things up with an admittedly sensitive fuel/air management system.

As to all the advice around here; it is often contradictory and conflicting, meaning the more opinions are tendered, the more difficult it can be to sift out the wheat from the chaff.
Oops, missed that typo, but it's fixed now.

It's always good to get different opinions and suggestions on things, some fly and some won't. That's when you have to make the decision yourself based upon all the knowledge you gathered.
Old 1/31/07, 03:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by metroplex
I always enjoy reading TacoBill's how-to writeups and looking at his mod photo albums! I'll most likely get used to the throttle lag and keep it stock for the time being.
Like-wise on TacoBills info. But I still don' t feel this throttle lag you all are talking about. Only when the engine is throttling down, do the revs hang for about five seconds. Well I'm closing in on getting my tune and CAI, so I guess I'll find out.. I can't wait.
Old 1/31/07, 05:06 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by danny1305
Hi guys! Im new on here! Got my mustang a few months back and I LOVE it! Anyway im looking to do a few mods, and i was wondering what do you guys think is the best way to get a few extra hp?
Hi Danny! a CAI intake with a performance tune will yield you 20 + HP for between 500 or 600 dollars! plus having the tuner will make future mods possible ! I got a C&L CAI ands 93 octane tune from brenspeed! Ive got steeda UD pullies and Steeda shorty headers to install yet! these are your next option for reasonably priced bolt on HP!
Old 1/31/07, 08:05 PM
Team Mustang Source

There is throttle LAG and throttle HANG, both of which are addressed by almost any aftermarket tune.
Old 1/31/07, 08:34 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by TacoBill
Oops, missed that typo, but it's fixed now.

It's always good to get different opinions and suggestions on things, some fly and some won't. That's when you have to make the decision yourself based upon all the knowledge you gathered.
Thanks, dude - not meaning to be snarky...and I do appreciate your candor, particuarly after all the hard work you have done both modding your car and taking the time out to post detailed "how to's" on this site.

I ordered my car today...finally.

Dealership I am dealing with are really good. Was introduced to the head mechanic (a Ford guy for more than 20 years), and when he gets talkin' about cars, he gets all excited and can't shut up. Really knows his stuff and as we talked about mods he told me that they have modded many Stangs at the dealership. They try to be a one-stop solution for customers across the spectrum. As both he AND the sales manager told me, if you build a relationship with them from the start - and they do a few mods for you - then if a warranty issue comes up, they don't void it because of your mods, especially if THEY'VE done them. It's just not the approach they believe in taking with customers.

Anyway, according to the mechanic, the CAI and tune is a "very low impact way to really 'wake up' the GT and remove the throttle hesitation" (he also recommended the Hurst short throw shifter). He said gains of 25 HP and 30 ft lbs of torque are quite possible with the Diablosport Steeda tune. He's done several cars and he's never seen a single problem as a result. And even if there were, he would never deny a warranty claim because of it. Which is also part of the advantage of having THEM do it to begin with. As to canned vs. custom tunes, he advised me that canned tunes are fine. The only reason to do a custom tune is if you plan to do a whole lot of mods to the car, up to and including a blower.

So, new Stang + mods, here I come...!
Old 1/31/07, 08:41 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts

So... it's legit?
Now you can beach about it.

Old 1/31/07, 08:43 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by 1 BULLITT
So... it's legit?
Now you can beach about it.

Yeah, now that I'm "legit," I can have all the cheese I want with my whine.

Old 1/31/07, 08:46 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Have you thought of the Ford Racing Handling Package?
Old 1/31/07, 10:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by blkstang06
Hi Danny! a CAI intake with a performance tune will yield you 20 + HP for between 500 or 600 dollars! plus having the tuner will make future mods possible ! I got a C&L CAI ands 93 octane tune from brenspeed! Ive got steeda UD pullies and Steeda shorty headers to install yet! these are your next option for reasonably priced bolt on HP!
FYI-Shorty headers on this model are a waste of money. Unless your going to switch to long tubes your money is better spent on gears. If you do your research on this forum and Modular Fords forum you'll find my statement to be true. Just letting you know since you've yet to install them.
Old 2/1/07, 01:08 AM
V6 Member

i guess the only thing to be had from just the CAI is the sound?
Old 2/1/07, 01:15 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 1mike1
i guess the only thing to be had from just the CAI is the sound?
Nope, you will get more air into the engine with a intake alone but you may run the risk of running lean. I personally wouldn't go with the "tuneless intakes". It is always good to revise the tune when you change anything to air management. You will get the full potential out of your intake that way
Old 2/1/07, 01:20 AM
Team Mustang Source

Yes, a different computer tune is a MUST on the 05+ Mustangs with a new cold air intake. They are VERY Sensitive to air/fuel changes. You will certainly get a Check Engine light, and possibly the car will go into Failsafe mode, disabling the engine for it's own safety. The CAI's make the car run very lean which could damage the engine without a tune.
Old 2/1/07, 01:40 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I have the K&N intake and I ran it w/o tune for several weeks without a problem. K&N, Airraid, and WMS have all been tryed, tested and proven on this site and several others to work just fine without a tune. With that being said after getting a tune the difference in performance was amazing. In retrospect if I had known I was going to get a tune I probably would have waited and bought a C&L or JLT intake (You will need a tune before using either of these.)

Quick Reply: Extra Horsepower??