2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Extra Horsepower??

Search this Thread

Old 1/30/07, 10:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CAI + Tune is the best mod for the money. The type of tune you get dictates just how touchy the throttle is. Modded, 0-60 is around 4.8secs which is only a .2 decrease 0-100 went from about 13secs to 10.8secs. The stock mustang is starving for air at the top end. There are no negatives with a tune/cai that I've noticed. Go for it. Head on over to Bamachips.com.
Old 1/30/07, 11:07 AM
Cobra Member

The cableless throttle on the Mustang is the worst one I've ever driven, especially compared to the GM's and Hondas. You would never guess my Honda has a cableless system. Ford can do better.
Old 1/30/07, 11:28 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lodom
The cableless throttle on the Mustang is the worst one I've ever driven...
Why then drive something you dislike? Sell it.

BTW, +whatever on CAI/Tuner!
Old 1/30/07, 11:45 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBill
Why then drive something you dislike? Sell it.

BTW, +whatever on CAI/Tuner!
That's not the point. Almost all cars today have drive by wire, but the system on the Ford Mustang and Ford Crown Victoria is by far one of the worst (laggy, lack of sensitivity, etc...) They should adapt the drive by wire system for seamless cable-like operation. The driver should not have to adapt their driving habits to accommodate the drive by wire system. A simple tweak of the calibration can fix the problem, but the question is, why didn't Ford do this at the factory?
Old 1/30/07, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by metroplex
That's not the point... but the question is, why didn't Ford do this at the factory?
That was the point. lodom's statement reflected how he feels about driving the Mustang. Everyone here that's performance minded is aware of the throttle lag, but we find a solution to it by getting an aftermarket tune.

If one likes a car so much (like most of us with the new Mustangs), we find improvements or fixes for its shortcomings, not flat out say that it's the worst car driven.

As for why Ford didn't make the throttle more sensitive, who knows... maybe for liability?
Old 1/30/07, 12:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill
That was the point. lodom's statement reflected how he feels about driving the Mustang. Everyone here that's performance minded is aware of the throttle lag, but we find a solution to it by getting an aftermarket tune.

If one likes a car so much (like most of us with the new Mustangs), we find improvements or fixes for its shortcomings, not flat out say that it's the worst car driven.

As for why Ford didn't make the throttle more sensitive, who knows... maybe for liability?
I love the Mustang... except for the throttle lag, but that doesn't mean I'm going to sell it for a 2007 Ford Focus ST because it has a cable throttle I want to keep the factory warranty intact, so I can't flash the PCM with an unauthorized tune until 5 years has passed.
Old 1/30/07, 12:16 PM

... I want to keep the factory warranty intact, so I can't flash the PCM with an unauthorized tune until 5 years has passed.
Sure we can't tempt you into getting a tune?

You could always flash it back to stock if you need to take it in for warranty work.
Old 1/30/07, 12:25 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BC_Shelby,

I'm sure you'll get the itch to modify your Mustang once you actually buy one

Easily the most important modification to start out when buying this car is the tune and intake. The difference in throttle response and power is definitely noticeable, 1/4 mile times are much improved.
Old 1/30/07, 12:39 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Imatk, why would you get rid of the C&L? It works great with the Saleen S/C. And any of the tuners can get you a tune for your S/C wiht the C&L.
Old 1/30/07, 12:52 PM
Cobra Member

The C&L I have is the aluminum version not the street version. The one I'm getting with the SC is the racer version so I'll have two

I spoke with JDM about retaining the aluminum tube but he said it would be better to go with the racer version as it allows for more airflow for the SC.

Now I'm really liking the Saleen Extreme intake and the fact that with that one you don't need the motor mounts so I MAY get that one and also sell the racer... just not sure yet
Old 1/30/07, 01:50 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by Galaxie
BC_Shelby,

I'm sure you'll get the itch to modify your Mustang once you actually buy one
Placing the order this week, in fact.

Originally Posted by Galaxie
Easily the most important modification to start out when buying this car is the tune and intake. The difference in throttle response and power is definitely noticeable, 1/4 mile times are much improved.
The downside is that there have been a percentage of people on this board who report problems after doing a CAI and tune: i.e. car shutting down during highway drives, a negative effect on the PCM that has caused Shaker error codes, etc.

It also voids the warranty.

Also, if you need to flash it back to stock, it's not QUITE as simple as TacoBill says. You also have to remove your new CAI and put the stock air box back in.

The upside is that almost everyone universally reports that it really wakes the car up, and is probably the single most effective, least intrusive mod for the buck.

ALSO: Ford doesn't seem to have a problem with it when Shelby does it to the GT and GT-H models. I wonder how those tunes differ from the ones Shelby is doing?

Also, which do you think is the best tune to pick here in Canada? A local performance shop in Vancouver recommended the Diablosport Predator with the Steeda tune. Any thoughts on that combo...?

The truth is I am considering it, and prompted this debate intentionally because I don't want to frak up my new car.
Old 1/30/07, 02:07 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by BC_Shelby
Also, which do you think is the best tune to pick here in Canada? A local performance shop in Vancouver recommended the Diablosport Predator with the Steeda tune. Any thoughts on that combo...?
Put her on a dyno for the tune! Lazy *** . . . .
Old 1/30/07, 02:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

When you put your car on a dyno for the tune, what do you think happens when your car gets "tuned?" It's the same as flashing the PCM with a new tune, except the tuner uses the feedback from the dyno run (A/F ratio) to tweak the air transfer function among other things.
Old 1/30/07, 02:14 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
When you put your car on a dyno for the tune, what do you think happens when your car gets "tuned?" It's the same as flashing the PCM with a new tune, except the tuner uses the feedback from the dyno run (A/F ratio) to tweak the air transfer function among other things.

Thanks! That "tuner uses the feedback" is what I was getting at in a sort of way for a "custom" tune specific to your car as opposed to a "canned" tune.
Old 1/30/07, 04:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Try looking at Steeda's stuff, the CAI with Plastic "high flow" elbow and a Steeda Predator tune. Plastic shouldn’t “heat soak†like aluminum intake elbow might……….. Steeda is also Ford technology transfer company…..

Also look at their under drive pulleys
Old 1/30/07, 04:14 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Placing the order this week, in fact.

The downside is that there have been a percentage of people on this board who report problems after doing a CAI and tune: i.e. car shutting down during highway drives, a negative effect on the PCM that has caused Shaker error codes, etc.

It also voids the warranty.

Also, if you need to flash it back to stock, it's not QUITE as simple as TacoBill says. You also have to remove your new CAI and put the stock air box back in.

The upside is that almost everyone universally reports that it really wakes the car up, and is probably the single most effective, least intrusive mod for the buck.

ALSO: Ford doesn't seem to have a problem with it when Shelby does it to the GT and GT-H models. I wonder how those tunes differ from the ones Shelby is doing?

The truth is I am considering it, and prompted this debate intentionally because I don't want to frak up my new car.
Well, you succeeded in stirring the pot. This topic(tunes) usually does... As far as percentage of people who've experienced problems... I'd say less than 5%... and "those" most likely came from non-reputable "tuners". As far and installing, then removing a CAI for warranty work. I't VERY simple- 20-30 minutes max. CAI/Tune is the best performance mod for the money without question. Those who have not experienced the gains of this set-up have no idea what they're missing.
Old 1/30/07, 06:17 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by GT_350
Try looking at Steeda's stuff, the CAI with Plastic "high flow" elbow and a Steeda Predator tune. Plastic shouldn’t “heat soak” like aluminum intake elbow might……….. Steeda is also Ford technology transfer company…..

Also look at their under drive pulleys
Yeah, the Steeda Predator tune comes highly recommended. I wasn't aware that the tolerances in these cars were far enough apart from unit to unit to warrant needing a custome tune. I just assumed that companies like Steeda would have done the ground work already and "canned" an appropriate tune.

As to under drive pulleys - DEFINITELY something I would avoid. I'm told that a pulley that's too light or not properly weighted won't reliably balance natural frequencies that occur along the length of the crankshaft at certain RPMs. Also, since the alternator, power steering, and/or air conditioning units are not spinning as fast, I've heard that dips in alternator voltage, power assist, and A/C effectiveness can be noticeable, particularly at idle.
Old 1/30/07, 06:26 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
... I've heard that dips in alternator voltage, power assist, and A/C effectiveness can be noticeable, particularly at idle.
Don't worry. The classics didn't have power steering either. You can handle it.

Old 1/30/07, 07:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Yeah, the Steeda Predator tune comes highly recommended. I wasn't aware that the tolerances in these cars were far enough apart from unit to unit to warrant needing a custome tune. I just assumed that companies like Steeda would have done the ground work already and "canned" an appropriate tune.

As to under drive pulleys - DEFINITELY something I would avoid. I'm told that a pulley that's too light or not properly weighted won't reliably balance natural frequencies that occur along the length of the crankshaft at certain RPMs. Also, since the alternator, power steering, and/or air conditioning units are not spinning as fast, I've heard that dips in alternator voltage, power assist, and A/C effectiveness can be noticeable, particularly at idle.
If your worrying about something as simple as an intake and a tune just do yourself a favor and keep it stock.
Old 1/30/07, 07:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
there's no lag from a dead stop I have to agree I've driven other dbw cars and they all have had less throttle lag than this car.
Back to the topic....
Don't do any mods till you can either pop a supercharger or a turbo on there.....

altho I have done the x pipe and some mufflers.... but that was all about the sound.
whats your average speed? mine is 30mph and its not to often I get to/can really use all the hp this car has to offer.

Quick Reply: Extra Horsepower??