2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Bad Dealership Experience

Search this Thread

Old 2/22/05, 05:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Bad Dealership Experience

I ordered my car November 18, 2005 under xplan with a $500 deposit. Now, 14 weeks later I'm still waiting for my car. I called the dealership, spoke to a manager and he is saying that the owner is not allowing Xplan on the Mustangs. I told him I have it writing and he still insists that no Xplans will be offered. I don't have a signature from the dealership, but I have a statement from the dealership stating that the agreed upon price was xplan plus tax, doc fee and license.

Now what do you guys think I can do if they continue with this BS? I'm not sure if xplan order is protected or what the deal is. Maybe some Ford delearship employees can advise. I'm not sure if this manager was full of BS, but darn did it **** me off! I need ammo to combat these scumbags. Thanks.

I also don't want to walk away after all this time, unless I can get an EXTREMELY similar car to the one in my sig. IUP, stick, and color (unless it's white or Sonice blue) are not negotiable.

Why can't more dealerships be like the guys in these boards. Or why can't these guys work at a dealership near me.

Signed VOC:
Old 2/22/05, 05:57 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Few things to consider

- Go into the main showroom and cause a big stink on their busiest day

- Call one of those "consumer reporters" who cause a big media circus.
Old 2/22/05, 06:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If you have a VOC, and the order is clean and Unscheduled, he is full of crap, stand your ground
Old 2/22/05, 06:23 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Eddie, Jeff here. I work at a dealership in Lansdale Pa. You stated you don't have a signature from a person at the dealership on the buyers order, but you have a statement from them, with the agreed upon price. Is there a signature on that piece of paper? Is your signature anywhere on the buyers order? If you signed the buyers order with the X-Plan price listed, the buyers order is a legal contract to purchase the car. This is why people under 18 cannot sign the buyers order. The parents do, when a young person get a car, because you have to be over 18 for any type of contract, and a buyers order at a dealership is a binding contract, to buy a car. This bods well for you. I would advise you to go into the dealership and have a sitdown with the general manager, the one just below the dealer. Ask him/her straight up why they took your x-plan order AND your $500 deposit in the first place, plus remind them, if you signed the order, that this is a legal contract. Tell them, if you knew up front that this was going to happen, you never would have ordered from them in the first place. If they still won't budge, I would call the owner of the dealership to talk to him personally. Hopefully, he won't want any bad word of mouth about his dealership, as this is what you can threaten him with, if you don't get your car. And in the very last instance, they won't let you have YOUR car, ask for your $500 deposit back WITH interest, as they held your money for over 14 weeks.

Plus it never hurts to call a local tv station or the paper of the major city you live near. Tell them what happened, and they will have one of their reporters who does consumer affairs stories, do a tv interview or a print story. The dealership won't want this. I live 20 miles from Philadelphia, and the Daily News, the city's paper (sister publication of the Inquirer), has a reporter who's main job is to write articles in regards to consumers who are not getting treated fairly. I'm sure if you hold your ground, and IF you signed the order for your car, you will get it X-Plan. Let me know how you made out. Good luck
Old 2/22/05, 06:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by davids2toys@February 22, 2005, 5:25 PM
If you have a VOC, and the order is clean and Unscheduled, he is full of crap, stand your ground
I have a VOC and a DORA. The car was built and should be delivered to the dealership today or tomorrow.
Old 2/22/05, 06:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Ok this is what I got from the delearship when I ordered the car. They provided the statement and I signed it.

EDIT:
Added Signed VOC to first post.
Old 2/22/05, 06:33 PM
Team Mustang Source

Sounds like it's time to talk to the owner. If they no longer want to accept X-plan, that's fine, but obviously that wouldn't apply to previously placed orders - ESPECIALLY previously placed orders with a deposit down, and a statement from the dealer indicating x-plan pricing.

If the sales manager won't honor your pricing, talk with the general manager. If the GM won't honor your pricing, talk with the owner. If the owner won't either, you could talk to a local paper or tv station (as mentioned by others), or Ford consumer affairs, or the dealer's Ford rep.

By waiting as long as they did to tell you they won't honor the pricing, they are obviously hoping you will either give in, or give up, so they can make some more money off the deal.

And people wonder why people hate going to dealerships... :bang:

and based on your attachment above, you have a legally binding contract showing the dealer agreed to the x-plan pricing.

Hopefully it is a misunderstanding, and the owner didn't realize the pricing was on an ordered vehicle with a deposit and a signed document. Talk with the owner and your issue SHOULD go away quickly.
Old 2/22/05, 09:33 PM
Cobra Member

You had one guy who works at dealship give his take.

I trusted my sales person that no sigs were needed and that I would not be screwed around by the dealership at time of delivery. Not so.

This what I learned from my soured deal. You need a purchase order with the Sales Managers or General Sales Managers sig on it. That you do not have. Ford customer service and A-plan administrations did me no good. Good luck. I did not push the issue and moved on to a better dealership.
Old 2/23/05, 01:05 AM

Either way, I'd still call Ford corporate office and complain to as many people as you can. Ask them what the procedure is for filing a formal complaint.

But I like the idea about going in and causing a big stink. Write letters of complaint to the owner. Call the general manager etc. I'd even see about filing a complaint with the BBB.

Squeaky wheel get's the grease and if you become a big enough pain in the rear they might give in just to be rid of you.

I'm betting the scmuck took the oder then got overruled after someone higher up found out. Now they are just trying to BS their way out of it hoping you'll go away quietly at which time they sell the car to someone else. Or even worse, hope you will buy the car minus the x-plan because it will be right there sitting on the lot.

Thing that really pisses me off is the part about when it was exactly that they were planning to call you to tell you of the change of plan???
Old 2/23/05, 01:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

Let us know how it works out, kintaro. That's a really crappy situation they are thrusting upon you. If they screw you, I suggest you contact a few newspapers and consumer fraud reporters, and post the name/location of the dealership so everyone else on this forum will know to steer clear of them.
Old 2/23/05, 01:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Also, if you really want to push the issue. I would at the very least call a lawyer & ask their free legal advice.

I am going through a Ford buy back, kinda a lemon law thing. And one dealer actually told my mom that the lawyers usually aren't up to date on that info. Well, just so happens the lawyer we talked to was also a judge. That shut the dealer up real quick.

So, your dealer will probably tell you anything to keep from selling you the car at the agreed upon xplan price. But with a signed agreement I don't see as how they have much choice but to sell it to you anyway.

And like others said, also threaten bad media & bad publicity. A woman I work with said her brother threatened to paint his car yellow & park it on a hill say "For a Lemon visit ?____?". Well, they replaced his car after that. Also, even if they sell you the car, if it were me I would be sure to let them know that I would NEVER purchase from them again, if it were between them or riding a goat, I would choose the goat. Especially after being treated that way. JMO.

So, just be prepared for the worst, bad publicity, lawyers, whatever & hope for the best. Really stick it to them if you have too. But let them know that you won't roll over for them. Good luck with whatever happens. Keeps us posted on whatever you decide.

Laters
~*~Kera~*~
Old 2/23/05, 08:17 AM
Team Mustang Source

Hey Eddie, Jeff here. They gave you the order confirmation page, not a buyers order. Without a signed buyers order, with a managers signature, it will be hard for you to make them accept the order. What I would like to know is, if you didn't sign a buyers order, and just the order sheet, where do they have listed that you gave them a $500 deposit? Just make sure if it comes to leaving that dealership and going elsewhere, that you can get your money back. If they give you a big stink about ordering a car that you didn't wind up taking, inform them you would have if they "honored the original deal".
Plus a Mustang GT will not last long on the dealers lot. Just talk to the owner, and if he is at all a human being, he will honor the deal you made with his establishment. Just keep a calm position, inform the owner, that the manager shouldn't have taken your order in the first place, and wasted your valuable time. Remind him you waited over 14 weeks for your dream car (never hurts to throw a guilt trip). He should honor it, if he is at all concered with customer satisfaction. I hope it all works out for the best.
Old 2/23/05, 08:25 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by kintaro@February 22, 2005, 6:56 PM
...I have a statement from the dealership stating that the agreed upon price was xplan plus tax, doc fee and license.
According to Ford:

Can I be charged a “document fee†(doc fee) by my dealer?

No. Fees related to Partner Recognition Plan sales for document preparation or similar administrative services are not allowed. If the dealer charges you a documentary fee please call 1-800-348-7709 and report the issue. Sales under the Mazda S-Plan may be subject to document preparation and/or other administrative services fees.
Old 2/23/05, 08:43 AM
Cobra Member

And there is such a thing as a verbal contract. They are a lot harder to prove, but given the paperwork you have already posted, I have a feeling most judges would easily take that as a verbal contract confirmation. Of course, it is also a HUGE pain in the butt to work this through the legal system too.

Sorry you are getting hosed. Hopefully, the other advise above will get the dealer to see the light and treat you right.
Old 2/23/05, 09:07 AM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
Short story: In January 2001, I was one of the first to order a Bullitt after it was announced for production. By April, a quite a few who had order after I did had theirs. May came along and no sign of mine.

Bottom line was the dealer I ordered from had no allocations. I called Ford Customer Service and raised a stink and would not take no for an answer. A few days later an allocation was created and I had my car in June.

Yours is a different situation but no company likes to have negative feedback specially when customers are rational, reasonable, and logical in their demands. I think it would help your case to get customer service involved.
Old 2/23/05, 09:18 AM
GTR Member

tell them you will take them to court and BBB for False (i dunno, find a law that they broke by doing that) and then they will break and you should get your ca for 20k dollars. LOL
Old 2/23/05, 09:52 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by RRRoamer@February 23, 2005, 9:46 AM
And there is such a thing as a verbal contract. They are a lot harder to prove, but given the paperwork you have already posted, I have a feeling most judges would easily take that as a verbal contract confirmation. Of course, it is also a HUGE pain in the butt to work this through the legal system too.

Sorry you are getting hosed. Hopefully, the other advise above will get the dealer to see the light and treat you right.
Oral contracts for consumer goods over $500 are not enforceable.
Old 2/23/05, 11:23 AM
V6 Member

Is the salesman that you worked with still with the dealer? The manager that gave you this news, was he employed by the dealership at the time you ordered. Did the dealership ownership change from 11/04? Was there a witness to your conversation? Did the dealership cash the check, do you have a receipt for the deposit? Many questions that you can answer that affirm your position can be used to present your case to the management at the dealership. The price difference is worth your effort!. I recommend that you get your facts, make an appointment to meet the general manager regarding your concern.
Old 2/23/05, 11:43 AM
GT Member

Kintaro,

You indicted your car might might be here as soon as today. Anyway, when it arrives, check to see if your name and the following "TAG 000X000" appears as the last entry on the window sticker under OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT. If it was ordered under the "X" plan such will be the case. Now, since you have the VOC indicating it was ordered as an "X" plan car and in if fact it was built and delivered as an "X" plan car, you might have some leverage with the Dealer through Ford. I would write a sincere letter explaining the situation and send it to the Dealer, your regional sales office, Ford customer Relations, etc. If you take this route, maybe you should first inform the Dealer what you plan to do. I don't think Ford would look favorably on a Dealer ordering a car under the "X" plan and then failing to deliver.
Old 2/23/05, 11:48 AM
Bullitt Member

Is the salesman that you worked with still with the dealer?
Yes I ordered through the Fleet Manager, and I have been working exclusively through him. A salesperson recommended him to me and she eased my mind about the deal I had with the Fleet Manager.

The manager that gave you this news, was he employed by the dealership at the time you ordered.
Who knows, I'm hoping that he was just misinformed about my transaction, but I am prepared to be dealt some bad news and fight for the original deal.

Did the dealership ownership change from 11/04?
Not to my knowledge, I haven't inquired about this.

Was there a witness to your conversation?
There was not a witness, but a salesperson was aware of the XPlan recommended the Fleet Manager.

Did the dealership cash the check, do you have a receipt for the deposit?
Yes the check was cash right away. They did give me a generic receipt stating the amount and what it was for.

I am meeting with the Fleet Manager I ordered the car from, if the deal goes sour I will definately make an appointment with the General Manager. As it stands right now, only one person has said this deal will not happen. Unfortunately the Fleet Manager is almost impossible to get a hold of so I haven't been able to talk to him. I will post the results when I get back later today.

Kintaro,

You indicted your car might might be here as soon as today. Anyway, when it arrives, check to see if your name and the following "TAG 000X000" appears as the last entry on the window sticker under OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT. If it was ordered under the "X" plan such will be the case. Now, since you have the VOC indicating it was ordered as an "X" plan car and in if fact it was built and delivered as an "X" plan car, you might have some leverage with the Dealer through Ford. I would write a sincere letter explaining the situation and send it to the Dealer, your regional sales office, Ford customer Relations, etc. If you take this route, maybe you should first inform the Dealer what you plan to do. I don't think Ford would look favorably on a Dealer ordering a car under the "X" plan and then failing to deliver.
Yes the car is there, it arrived last night. I am going to the delearship in about an hour to do the paperwork. Thanks for the info I will definately look for this information. I am taking my camera as well, it's been a long time coming, I hope everything works out fine.

Quick Reply: Bad Dealership Experience