2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Do I really want to add options?

Search this Thread

Old 6/27/06, 11:55 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do I really want to add options?

So I plan to order an 07GT (coupe, manual trans, alloy gray). But I can't decide how to option it out.

My initial thought is premium coupe, IUP, premier package. But as you know this adds over two thousand bucks to the MSRP
$460 Interior upgrade package
$395 Premier trim
$1180 deluxe to premium (leather and shaker 500)

I'm just not sure if I want to throw that much cash towards the interior of a sports car. The stereo would get replaced eventually so I'm shying away from the Shaker 500 but I probably wouldn't upgrade it immediately. I do sort of like the idea of the premier upgraded armrests because I have boney elbows, but that requires the IUP. The leather.. I dig but it isn't the smartest for the summer (especially in dark charcoal like I want), but I'm also not a fan of the running pony motif on the cloth.

The only option that is a definite is the alarm. I will get the base wheels because I'd upgrade myself eventually, and I don't mind the bullit style.

Anybody want to chime in with their advice so I can slow the flip-flopping in my head?
Old 6/27/06, 12:11 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Shotokan1509
So I plan to order an 07GT (coupe, manual trans, alloy gray). But I can't decide how to option it out.

My initial thought is premium coupe, IUP, premier package. But as you know this adds over two thousand bucks to the MSRP

$460 Interior upgrade package
$395 Premier trim
$1180 deluxe to premium (leather and shaker 500)

I'm just not sure if I want to throw that much cash towards the interior of a sports car. The stereo would get replaced eventually so I'm shying away from the Shaker 500 but I probably wouldn't upgrade it immediately. I do sort of like the idea of the premier upgraded armrests because I have boney elbows, but that requires the IUP. The leather.. I dig but it isn't the smartest for the summer (especially in dark charcoal like I want), but I'm also not a fan of the running pony motif on the cloth.

The only option that is a definite is the alarm. I will get the base wheels because I'd upgrade myself eventually, and I don't mind the bullit style.

Anybody want to chime in with their advice so I can slow the flip-flopping in my head?

IMHO if you are already thinking of upgrading the stereo, don't go with the Shaker system. The new 'Stang has a nice I2 (U2?) double-height dash opening so you can install the best-of-the-best aftermarket systems. I personally went w/ Red Leather and the Shaker 1K system because aftermarket electronics don't interest me & the shaker 1K fit the bill for me just fine. I also put a 35% tint (50 state legal) ceramic tint on the windows so I have no heat problems here in ATL, GA.

Based on your comments, you value more function over form. So I'd:

Nix the leather and shaker 500. In the GT, you get the higher quality sport seats standard, even in cloth trim. So upgrading to leather in a GT is only a matter of preference (and expense) since the seat is already the highest quality.

I'd also nix the 'premier' trim nonsense alltogether. A car w/o leather does not need heated seats, plus the dual-power-seats only adds weight.

Save the money on the 'premier' trim and buy a set of seat covers to cover those pony logos. Lots of folks do this. Also, keep in mind that at some point down the road you can always get seats re-apolstered if you choose.

I would recommend the interior upgrade package. Yes, it includes the 'mycolor' feature which is nice, but more importantly your stang has a proper six-gauge cluster and a trip computer/digi ODO display that is very user friendly. You can even turn the ODO off completely if you want. I'd always recommend IUP because the upgraded gauges are simply worth it & make the car a lot more friendly.

Thats my two cents. I'd stick with the IUP and nix everything else since you are already thinking aftermarket. The factory alarm works great.
Old 6/27/06, 12:12 PM
Bullitt Member

I'll tell you what my cousin told me when I was ordering my car. Get it exactly like you want it, otherwise you will never be satisfied. In the long run, its a lot easier to get over paying a bit more than it is wishing you would have chosen an option you don't have.

Chip in SC
Old 6/27/06, 12:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Personally I think the IUp is a really good option to get, looks wise it's just a lot better. It'll come down to your preferences. In my mind I was buying a bloody expensive car that I wanted to enjoy for a long while and not feel I compromised (which was always the case with my last 3 used Mustangs, I always compromised in some way and ended up regretting it). So I figured in for a penny in for a pound and just optioned the car to the nuts.
Old 6/27/06, 12:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by esorense
I'd also nix the 'premier' trim nonsense alltogether. A car w/o leather does not need heated seats, plus the dual-power-seats only adds weight.

Save the money on the 'premier' trim and buy a set of seat covers to cover those pony logos. Lots of folks do this. Also, keep in mind that at some point down the road you can always get seats re-apolstered if you choose.

I would recommend the interior upgrade package. Yes, it includes the 'mycolor' feature which is nice, but more importantly your stang has a proper six-gauge cluster and a trip computer/digi ODO display that is very user friendly. You can even turn the ODO off completely if you want. I'd always recommend IUP because the upgraded gauges are simply worth it & make the car a lot more friendly.
I believe you're confusing the 'Premier Trim pkg' with the 'Comfort pkg'. The Comfort pkg has the dual power, heated seats while the Premier Trim pkg has wrapped & stitched dashpad, console cover, upgraded door panels, aluminum pedals and special shifter trim.

I agree with you on the IUP.

Chip
Old 6/27/06, 12:24 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Shotokan1509
Most folks are limited to options because of financial reasons, which is fine. Sounds like you don't fall into that catagory.

My advise? Don't cheese out from the luxuries of life.

Option it to the hilt!
Old 6/27/06, 12:31 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill
Most folks are limited to options because of financial reasons, which is fine. Sounds like you don't fall into that catagory.

My advise? Don't cheese out from the luxuries of life.

Option it to the hilt!
Well thats a mixed bag. Options will just add more to my payment, I'm fresh out of college with a job, and was a good little boy and resisted the urge to buy a Mustang when it wasn't financially smart (or weather permitted, don't worry I'm keeping my Ranger for our NewEngland winters).

So less options make more sense financially, but I buy vehicles to keep, not to replace in 2 years, so it may be worth it to add a few options.
Old 6/27/06, 12:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

My 06 has all the goodies and not once in the past 2 months since I got her have I said "I wish I didnt get this or that". I love everything about the car and the interior and options I got. I know the 07 has a few more goodies but if $$ isnt a big issue then splurge.
Old 6/27/06, 12:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by ipchay61
I'll tell you what my cousin told me when I was ordering my car. Get it exactly like you want it, otherwise you will never be satisfied. In the long run, its a lot easier to get over paying a bit more than it is wishing you would have chosen an option you don't have.

Chip in SC
Great advice, the hard part is figuring out exactly what it is that you want, at least for me it is.
Old 6/27/06, 01:00 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
having less is more for me. I understand all the new options are nice but I like having a muscle car with almost no extras on it. If a heated seat breaks the cost is a lot to fix. I hate the look of side air bags so I didn't get them. (not to mention a member here had them go off after an accident). I dont want to buy a satelite radio subscription and the shaker 1000 speakers I don't need in the trunk. JMHO and good luck deciding.
Old 6/27/06, 01:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
You might want to consider just changing the color rather than adding materials to the interior. That is what I did with the interior sport appearance package with color accent. I like the IUP trim pieces but did not want MyColor.

Of course, it depends on the interior color. I have light graphite.

I've had more cars with leather seats and decided to go with cloth to get a bit more grip for spirited cornering. Also, I do like the ponies since they are a nod back to the old Pony Package interior of the original Mustangs. Cloth vs. leather was the first interior choice I made.

Next, I decided on the color for the interior, as that set the tone for the rest of the dress-up bits. I like darker interiors, but I wanted some contrast to help with summer heat. I liked both parchment and light graphite, but the light graphite goes with Tungsten grey.

From there, it most likely would be possible to get some of the other items separately and add them as your budget allows. 05stangkc, the TMS parts dude, can help you with questions.

Good luck with your decision process.
Old 6/27/06, 01:46 PM
Cobra Member

A GT Premium comes with leather and the Shaker 500 is standard on that.. as is the IUP. the GT Delux, you'll have to pay for those. With the comfort group option, the power seats on both sides, homelink mirror, heated seats.... I don't know for sure. I'll tell you this much... since I got my '06 the first week of June, I'm kinda wishing I had held out for an '07 for the power seat option alone... my wife can't see over the dash.. and that's a pretty big complaint. That's why they added that for '07. I'd do what it takes to get that.. if you ever plan on havin' a little lady in the passenger seat.
Old 6/27/06, 01:49 PM
Bullitt Member

The IUP is not standard on either trim level. It is an option on both.
Old 6/27/06, 02:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by ipchay61

Chip in SC
I agree 100%. You may regret not ordering an option, but you will never regret ordering them. Once the cost is not a problem, go ahead. The options you mentioned are all good. Take a look at this picture http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/time...05/0914-29.jpg if you need help deciding on the dark charcoal leather, it helped me to decide.
Old 6/27/06, 03:39 PM
Bullitt Member

I would highly recommend the IUP. Either the dark charcoal or satin IUP are fine choices. Even if you don't want (or care about) MyColor, you can always set it at that same green everything else in the cabin is and forget about it. The extra gauges are nice. The message center is also very nice.
Old 6/27/06, 04:01 PM
Cobra Member

I would suggest not getting any options that you will be upgrading in the future, such as the stereo, wheels, etc. Even the upholstery can be upgraded in the future if you don't like it. The aftermarket is huge for Mustangs, so you can add a lot options later when you have the money, and you'll have a smaller car payment.

The normal armrests aren't pillowy soft, but they aren't rock hard either (they're sort of a rubbery material), so I think you could skip the premier trim package.

If its within your budget, IUP is great. The upgraded gauge cluster is a rather complex retrofit too, so getting it from the factory would be ideal, and the dash just looks plain without the IUP trim

When I ordered mine, I ordered a deluxe because it was the best bang for the buck, plus I wanted the cloth interior. The only two options I ordered were the IUP and the Shaker 500.
Old 6/27/06, 08:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by clintoris
A GT Premium comes with leather and the Shaker 500 is standard on that.. as is the IUP. the GT Delux, you'll have to pay for those. With the comfort group option, the power seats on both sides, homelink mirror, heated seats.... I don't know for sure. I'll tell you this much... since I got my '06 the first week of June, I'm kinda wishing I had held out for an '07 for the power seat option alone... my wife can't see over the dash.. and that's a pretty big complaint. That's why they added that for '07. I'd do what it takes to get that.. if you ever plan on havin' a little lady in the passenger seat.
You know, you're right about the pass seat. My wife rode shotgun in my new '07 today and she said she could hardly see over the dash.
Old 6/28/06, 09:46 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by incomingRPG
The IUP is not standard on either trim level. It is an option on both.
I got served

sorry for the misinformation, guys.
Old 6/28/06, 10:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by clintoris
I got served
Been there!
Old 6/28/06, 05:34 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by 2005GTDELUXE
having less is more for me. I understand all the new options are nice but I like having a muscle car with almost no extras on it. If a heated seat breaks the cost is a lot to fix. I hate the look of side air bags so I didn't get them. (not to mention a member here had them go off after an accident). I dont want to buy a satelite radio subscription and the shaker 1000 speakers I don't need in the trunk. JMHO and good luck deciding.
I lean toward this side of the fence. If power windows were an option, I'd nix those too. As others have said, if you plan to upgrade/change any optional features of the car - don't order it. Save your money for the parts you really want. Plus the smaller monthly payments mean you can save more for those upgrades in the near future. Whatever you decide, I'm sure you'll love the car.

Quick Reply: Do I really want to add options?