2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead Battery Problem Solved

Search this Thread

Old 5/30/08, 02:51 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Turn your stereo off before you shut it down.
I heard that and tried it and it has worked so far.
No daily driver here either. Lots of jumps later....
Try that!
Old 5/30/08, 02:55 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I have been turning stereo off, radar detector off, unplug ipod, AC off before turning car off and not arming alarm when it is parked in my locked garage and have not had a problem in months. It may sit 2-3 weeks before being started up.

But, back when I first got it I would leave these things on and in 4 or 5 days it would be dead. Then I began unplugging peripherals and leaving stereo and AC on and arming car and it would last 7-10 days. So I've learned to have nothing pulling any load and this does include the alarm for long periods of time.
Old 6/1/08, 08:48 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine has died several times with nothing turned on including the doors being unlocked. We may be on to something here, but I'm telling you these cars drain batteries alarm armed or no.
Old 6/1/08, 09:03 AM
GTR Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
FYI: I keep my radar detector hooked up.
Old 6/1/08, 09:44 AM
Cobra R Member

Nevermind.....went to start mine yesterday and it was dead.

dammmmit....it was doing so good too.
Old 6/1/08, 02:19 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We had a problem like that with our 06 GT, turns out the solution is how we parked the car in the driveway. If I parked it with the front end higher than the back, it'd be dead in 48-72 hours, but when it's parked with the back end higher than the front, it'll go for two weeks without a problem. This is with the doors locked and the active anti-theft set.

~Mike~
Old 6/1/08, 02:52 PM
Cobra R Member

Talking

I have a feeling that soon we will be turning around three times and chanting MARY WORTH while holding a lit candle before this thread is done.
Old 6/1/08, 03:04 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by R-code
We had a problem like that with our 06 GT, turns out the solution is how we parked the car in the driveway. If I parked it with the front end higher than the back, it'd be dead in 48-72 hours, but when it's parked with the back end higher than the front, it'll go for two weeks without a problem. This is with the doors locked and the active anti-theft set.

~Mike~
could have something to do with fuel sensor
Old 6/1/08, 07:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Shouldn't have to go through all this trouble just to start your car. I'm testing mine with the doors locked this time so we shall see what happens.
Old 6/1/08, 08:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Kinda a moot point in some cases. I don't have a garage, I have a car port. Any guesses on how often I'm going to leave it with the doors unlocked and the alarm off?

And I'm sure I'm not the only one in such a situation...
Old 6/2/08, 05:08 AM

Dead Battery Nightmare

Eventually realised the long awaited ambition-buying V6 De luxe Mustang from US dealer 10 months ago.Car arrives in Southampton after 9 days at sea.Guess what?.Flat battery.Ten months down the line,with a replacement,still flat if not used for 3 days.No shaker or security alarm package.Worse still no warranty now that the car is outside the US.What a joke.Fortunately my 91 ,year 4 on the same battery,never failed in 17 years keeps me on the road.Certainly the S197 is great for the environment-looks great in the garage!
Old 6/2/08, 05:57 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by j2 mus
Eventually realised the long awaited ambition-buying V6 De luxe Mustang from US dealer 10 months ago.Car arrives in Southampton after 9 days at sea.Guess what?.Flat battery.Ten months down the line,with a replacement,still flat if not used for 3 days.No shaker or security alarm package.Worse still no warranty now that the car is outside the US.What a joke.Fortunately my 91 ,year 4 on the same battery,never failed in 17 years keeps me on the road.
Certainly the S197 is great for the environment-looks great in the garage
!
Old 6/2/08, 08:42 AM
Cobra R Member

my car sat for probably no more than three weeks straight through the winter, but still in almost two years i have not had a single battery issue. i take absolutely no precautions either. nothing is shut of or unplugged, or anything. it goes into the garage and sits there with the key in the center console. unlocked, although i do not have active anti-theft in my car.
Old 6/5/08, 09:40 PM
Bullitt Member

I uncovered my Mustang tonight to put the stuff I need for work (sunglasses, name badge, CDs, .etc) in the car. I grabbed my key fob and hit the unlock button. Nothing happened. A little confused, I tried this over and over again until reality set it that the doors were not going to unlock with the primary key fob that I use. So I go grab the back up key fob and try to unlock the doors...nothing again. I manually unlock the Mustang and get inside. I tried cranking my Pony up and the only thing that illuminated was the airbag sensor light on the dash. I've come to the realization that I've just encountered my first dead battery ever. I get my battery charger and let the battery charge for a little while. I go out to the car a little a while later and disconnect the charger. I get back into my Mustang and check out the electronics. All of the electronics are working (headlights, radio, and other interior gadgets). I try to crank the car up...nothing happens except for a bunch of clicks. Disheartened, I get out of my beloved Pony, cover her back up...coming to the sad realization that I won't get to drive her this weekend as I had look forward to doing.

I'm not sure why my battery died. I've had ownership of the car for a little under 2 years. It was a brand new car when I brought and it hasn't been a daily driver since the middle of 2007. Even still the car has sat 2 - 3 weeks at a time and always started up like a champ. The last time the car was driven was on May 26th and there was no problems. It's peculiar to me why the battery went dead. Hopefully it's still under warranty (I couldn't find this information in the warranty guide supplied) so hopefully I can get a replacement one. I don't have an active alarm or anything like that.
Old 6/5/08, 09:51 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,965 Likes on 1,590 Posts
The reason for your battery draining, was due from not being fully charged during the 2-3 week period it sat, and then from the last time you ran it on May 26th !

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 6/5/08 at 09:56 PM.
Old 6/5/08, 09:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Like I said before my car has sat for 1, 2, sometimes 3 or more weeks at a time and the battery has never died. If that was the case...shouldn't the battery went kaput a long time ago? Especially in the 6 week period I didn't drive the car due to the spring pollen falling all over the place.
Old 6/5/08, 09:59 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,965 Likes on 1,590 Posts
Not If the battery was fully charged, during that time. Batteries can remain fully charged for up to 30 days.

However, if the car isn't ran enough/driven, either during or after the 30 day period, the battery will then start to discharge.

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 6/5/08 at 10:05 PM.
Old 6/6/08, 06:29 AM

I've been puting up with this for over two years. If I leave the radio on when I turn off the key the battery will be dead in 4 to 5 days. If I turn it off before shutdown it will last months. I have had the radio repalced twice (shaker 500) and repalced the battery with a 700 amp. Still if the radio is left on at shut down. The battery will die. I do not have the active alarm sys. Its been to FORD about 5 times for this problem with no fix yet. Couple new radios put in her, but still dying!
Old 6/6/08, 08:17 AM
GTR Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
FYI I discovered that I can hear a relay click if I shut off the radio, then pull the key out AND open the driver's door.

I wonder what happens when you do NOT shut off the Shaker 500 before pulling out the key and opening the door. I suspect that the relay does not cut off the amplifiers if this happens. If so, this is a problem with the SJB - either a defect, malfunction, or it was "designed" to do this.
Old 6/6/08, 08:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by metroplex
FYI I discovered that I can hear a relay click if I shut off the radio, then pull the key out AND open the driver's door.

I wonder what happens when you do NOT shut off the Shaker 500 before pulling out the key and opening the door. I suspect that the relay does not cut off the amplifiers if this happens. If so, this is a problem with the SJB - either a defect, malfunction, or it was "designed" to do this.

I don't have the Shaker 500 and if my car sits for 2 weeks or more I have to jump start the car. I'm going to check the voltage on my battery tomorrow and report back. Cars been sitting for about a week and a half now. Will be interesting to see what it reads.

Quick Reply: Dead Battery Problem Solved