2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Dash Board Squeak -- 2005 GT

Search this Thread

Old 12/4/07, 09:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dash Board Squeak -- 2005 GT

I know I read about this a while back, but can't seem to find any threads on it using the search function. It has been to the Dealership 3 times with no fix. Seems to be more noticeable when the cars is cold, but still annoying when the car warms up.

It makes the car not-so-fun to drive.

Anyone have a successful solution?

TYIA.
Old 12/4/07, 10:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's probably coming from the far front corners of the dash. You should be able to get some felt under those corners from underneath. Sorry I can't be more specific but I remember that thread too, I just haven't done it yet .
Old 12/4/07, 10:51 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Mine squeaked when it was cold and I made a small rubber shim and put it between the dash and the a-pillar and the squeak stopped ...
Old 12/4/07, 03:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is one of the most annoying things about this car. Did Ford never test this car in the cold on bumpy roads? I put some rubber between the a-pillar and the dash but I need to re-do it because it has worked itself loose.
Old 12/5/07, 04:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Yup, front left corner where the dash meets the a-pillar and the glass. I haven't fixed it but I know that's were it's coming from cause it goes away when I press down in that location. Oh.. and only when it's cold. (below 50F). For some reason, the fact that I know where it's coming from makes it less annoying.

For all your other rattle and squeaky needs see:
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=59593
Old 12/6/07, 05:37 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by spike
Yup, front left corner where the dash meets the a-pillar and the glass. I haven't fixed it but I know that's were it's coming from cause it goes away when I press down in that location. Oh.. and only when it's cold. (below 50F). For some reason, the fact that I know where it's coming from makes it less annoying.

For all your other rattle and squeaky needs see:
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=59593
That's where mine was .. I cut the end off a rubber door stop so I had a little wedge and jammed that between the dash and pillar and it rattles no more ...
Old 12/6/07, 08:41 AM
Bullitt Member

It really is coming from the A-Pillar only. For 2 years I have been thinking it was from the dash. When you hear the rattle start to rattle when its cold, push your hand on the A-pillar and you will hear the rattle stop. I think the glue that attaches the A-Pillar becomes loose when its cold so the sound that it is making is the A-pillar rattle back and forth between the sticky part. If it is the A-pillar that is the cause of the rattle, take it into the dealer and show them the exact location.
Old 12/6/07, 09:40 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I think mine was coming from the dash and not the a-pillar , either way by putting a wedge between the two pieces it stopped ...
Old 12/6/07, 12:56 PM
GT Member

mine does it on the dash as well. it's where the top meets the top of the passenger airbag.
Old 12/6/07, 02:52 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Are you all talking about the rattle that sounds like a "cricket"?
Old 1/31/08, 12:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Sorry, been a while since I touched base with this topic and thread. Its not a "cricket" sound...its a squeak, and i know it come from the dash because i can make it go away by applying either upwards or downwards force in the center of the dash.
Old 2/2/08, 10:55 PM

Mine was doing that too.."chirp, chirp". I got under (well, not literally) the dash with a can of WD-40 and sprayed what looked like suspect sources. Also opened the access at the left hand end of the dash and got in there too. Since I sprayed several areas in one go, it's hard to say what exactly the cause was. What ever the case, 5 months and it hasn't come back. Great, I just jinxed myself!
Old 2/4/08, 04:55 AM
Cobra Member

Mine sounded like something hitting the plastic dash on the passenger side. There's a support tab under the dash in the corner by the windshield if you remove the pillar. I placed a piece of foam there and haven't heard a noise since.
Old 2/4/08, 07:11 AM
Cobra Member

Each time I hear a rattle, it is always something either in the console, cup holders or glove box. I had a really annoying rattle that I swore was the dash, I cleaned everything out of the glove box and center console, it went away.

So far thats the only time I get any rattles...knock on wood.
Old 2/4/08, 06:53 PM

Its a ford mustang. shake rattle and roll baby.
Old 2/4/08, 09:17 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Naaa..that dash rattling crap annoys the sheet outta me too. I just have to get in there and deal with it. I cut up some felt strips and shoved them into certain spots, but it didn't cure it completely.
Old 2/5/08, 06:12 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
I used a piece of weather stripping. It has a sticky side to it so once its in place it will not move.
Of course you could let loose with some of the stuff lol
Old 2/5/08, 01:15 PM

well, all fords rattle like hell. my f350 does, my mustang does, they're just not that well engineered in the anti rattle dept. whenever i find myself hating the car for all its little annoyances, I drop a gear, step on the gas, and fall in love again. that and if your exhaust is loud enough, you don't hear any rattles.
Old 2/5/08, 03:10 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by helosailor
Mine was doing that too.."chirp, chirp". I got under (well, not literally) the dash with a can of WD-40 and sprayed what looked like suspect sources. Also opened the access at the left hand end of the dash and got in there too. Since I sprayed several areas in one go, it's hard to say what exactly the cause was. What ever the case, 5 months and it hasn't come back. Great, I just jinxed myself!
NSX owners recommend WD40 as a cure for the common dash rattles in their "high quality Honda engineering" wonders. If it works for an $89,000 NSX it'll work for our lowly, "poor quality American engineered" Mustangs!
Originally Posted by someone in the NSX-Wiki
Finally, I decided since the noise was due to ever-so-slight movement and the friction between the dash and defroster panel, a lubricant that could spread itself was needed. I took a can of WD 40 and bent the red applicator tube around to apply it at the joint of these two pieces -- sort of pointing back from the base of the windshield. I shot a very small amount of the WD 40 along this entire joint. Instantly, the dash was silent. Now, I can bang and push anywhere I want and the dash doesn't make a peep.
I am a happy camper. Now my NSX sounds like the solid, quality piece it is. The idea of spraying even a small amount of a lubricant into my dash was something I didn't want to consider. However, it turned out to be the best solution -- quick, easy, and with outstanding results.
Old 2/5/08, 05:55 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

i hava a rattle that sounds like its coming directly from the passenger air duct, i have no idea where its really coming from cause i cant reach it when driving and i forget about it when someone else is in the car...

any ideas???

Quick Reply: Dash Board Squeak -- 2005 GT