2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check Charging System Erorr

Search this Thread

Old 9/20/17, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check Charging System Erorr

Ok so I'm new to this forum or really to any forum for that matter, but I'm between a rock and a hard place. So almost a week ago I got the check charging system error along with the battery light. So I checked the battery first and it's still good, and I determined it was the alternator. The problem I have currently is I've went through 3 alternators in the past two days. Granted they are from autozone but that shouldn't matter to much. Does anyone have any idea as to what the issue is or could be? Could my luck just be that bad getting 3 bad alternators in a row?
Old 9/20/17, 09:17 PM

I have a 2005 mustang GT if that helps at all
Old 9/21/17, 08:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad Hatter
Ok so I'm new to this forum or really to any forum for that matter, but I'm between a rock and a hard place. So almost a week ago I got the check charging system error along with the battery light. So I checked the battery first and it's still good, and I determined it was the alternator. The problem I have currently is I've went through 3 alternators in the past two days. Granted they are from autozone but that shouldn't matter to much. Does anyone have any idea as to what the issue is or could be? Could my luck just be that bad getting 3 bad alternators in a row?
I'm on my fifth. But I did get an out of the box bad one from Ford one time. The issue is all of these are rebuilt. It is rare if you can actually find a new one. That's because nobody uses these single phase alternators anymore. My suggestion would be to go get a new (not rebuilt) 2010 alternator. It will bolt right up and the back is configured a little different in the position or clocking of the connections, but it is plug and play. It is a 3-phase unit and should hold up better.
Old 9/21/17, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by 07 Boss
I'm on my fifth. But I did get an out of the box bad one from Ford one time. The issue is all of these are rebuilt. It is rare if you can actually find a new one. That's because nobody uses these single phase alternators anymore. My suggestion would be to go get a new (not rebuilt) 2010 alternator. It will bolt right up and the back is configured a little different in the position or clocking of the connections, but it is plug and play. It is a 3-phase unit and should hold up better.
Thank you for the info .I'll have to take off the alternator and take it back to autozone, and request a refund or switch it for a 2010 alternator instead. Hopefully that fixes the problem becuase I don't know what else it could be. I'll keep you posted
Old 9/22/17, 10:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad Hatter
Thank you for the info .I'll have to take off the alternator and take it back to autozone, and request a refund or switch it for a 2010 alternator instead. Hopefully that fixes the problem becuase I don't know what else it could be. I'll keep you posted
You know it could be the actual cable. If it's not in good shape it can throw the charging system code. Check your other connection too.
Old 9/22/17, 11:09 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,497 Likes on 1,021 Posts
I have seen quite a few posts about repeat problems with the pre-2010 alternators on these cars.

It might be worth the trip to the dealer, and the extra money, for an OEM 2010 alternator, if it solves the problem for good. I think I have read that the Denso alternators are supposed to be some of the best?

And yeah the cable and connections are worth checking for sure.
Old 9/22/17, 07:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
I had problems as well with my '06. And the fix was this:

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...458833/index4/

Now, the batteries themselves are in a bad position. Blanket or not, they're going to get more heat where they are than if they were in the front. You just have to get another one if that's the issue.

That said, this last time (about 4 months or so ago) I had to yet again replace the battery This time, I did a little research into the idea, and instead of the lower CCA, 3 years warranty battery at O'Reilly (Super Start, if it matters) I went with the higher CCA, 2 year warranty one. It's a chance, but since I've been using the lower CCA/3 year batteries and they still fail... why the heck not. I replaced two of those 3 years in the three years I had the things, so it was outta warranty the last time. Figured I'd try it. I'll report back when I know.

But that procedure up there has apparently cured the alternator. For what it's worth, hope it helps!