2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Change chain chaiiin... Chains ya fool...

Search this Thread

Old 11/26/19, 12:03 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
Change chain chaiiin... Chains ya fool...

First: This is yet another of houtex's long dang diatribes, made for the cathartic reasons, so if you want to skip this, go ahead, he doesn't mind. He's doing it for posterity or something, IDK, I just wanted to, ok?

With that...

181,000-ish miles to this point as I write this. One certain 2006 Ford Mustang GT with the 4.6L 3v modular motor and a TR3650 trans, if that matters. Fully stock in the powertrain.

Awesome has lived up to her name, as with but one exception for a busted clutch master cylinder clevis, she's never left me on the side of the road. Has been through a slight bit of heck and back being a daily and a work truck. One clutch in that time too, at 160K, and really, it was fine until it just sorta wasn't. And STILL didn't leave me on the side of the road. I maintained her as best I could, on schedules. I have really tried to make her happy, and she responded like the champ she is. Solid dang car, truly, and honestly, the absolute best car I've ever owned. Oh, and I wasn't always 'nice' to her, she liked to romp and take off real fast at green lights and take turns way too fast... nosir, she wasn't babied, she's a big girl.

Hence, I'm sorta tempted to keep her as long as possible.

But as with most things... landscapes... humans... mountains... things wear down, and/or need fixing.

Such it is with Awesome. Behold the beginning of the tale what will commence thusly and forthwith upon this here thread.

Got in her after work a couple of weeks ago, and started her up... a weird hiccup. But seemed ok. No money light. Odd. Went home. And on the way, one could tell something was amiss. "Gotta be the throttle body is tickin' her off, seems like." It was similar. So when I got back home, I pulled the battery, cleaned things as you do, put them back on... no change.

I had to go somewhere in the AM, and it was obvious she was NOT happy. And when I got there... money light. "Oh no. Baby, what's wrong?" Acquired a scan tool, read it in the parking lot.

One code: P0016. Camshaft/Crankshaft correlation problem, Bank A. Passenger side. Ok. Whatssit mean? It means the computer's having issues figuring out where the cam on the passenger side is. Could be a cam position sensor, the cam solenoid, wiring (unlikely)... or the thing's jumped time/timing is broken/off in some way.

Ok, fine. I sourced both a cam sensor and the actuator. Both are really easy to swap. Small parts cannon can't hurt, cheapish enough to do, so... I did. I have to tell y'all... that actuator came out *as clean as the day it was made*. No varnish, no discoloration, screens were clean and pretty. "IT BELONGS IN A MUSEUM!" - Dr. "Indiana" Jones.

This made me happy, as it indicates that I've done my job pretty well, changing the oil so there's as little buildup as possible. Typically, it looks like the actuators condition mimic the overall condition of the heads, seems to me, when I see the valve covers off and they swap those things out. Yep. Very pleased with what I saw. Promising indeed.

Got done with the swap, then cleared the code. That maybe was a slight mistake, but I did it. Anyway, no change to running, there's still something wrong. But the code would NOT come back. Odd.

I got recommended a place, and took her there to have it looked at to see what else it could be. Whereupon the next day the code was back and a diagnosis was made.

It wasn't good.

Now, I'll admit right here and now... the chain tensioners were shot. But they'd *been* shot for, oh, I don't know, 120K miles up to this point? I read up on the start up chain rattle, asked a few people here and there, and the overall consensus was.. meh. Unlike previous versions of that motor, it'll run like that at startup. And it did. If you parked it, went about doing things, came back a couple hours later, it wouldn't do it. Just first of the day after sitting overnight would do the rattle. Heck I'd *recently* asked a Ford Tech was was somewhat recommended, "That ain't a problem, right?" "Right." "Okiedokie."

So naturally, given the 'meh' overall response I seemed to get, I just said "that's how it is, I guess" and went about doing everything else. Oil changes show no discernible issues in the oil, that sort of thing. Car was happy, I was happy, everyone is happy!!

Ok, admission over, back to "It wasn't good."

They said they could replace the timing at $3000. Or more. Depended on things(tm). OR they could put in one of two engines, either the $6K one or the $9K one (installed). One's used, one's reman. One had some lifetime warranty (which given things... wouldn't be a bad deal, but I'd be wonderin' if I gotta do that BG stuff or what. Didn't get that far on the talk.)

Hm. That's... not cheap on any of those. I ain't made of money. And the one scariest thing on the car is now the thing I gotta get fix, and it's confirmed... that stuff ain't cheap. I asked him to let me cogitate on that for a little bit. Because I had to really consider the options here. You see, people, I've done everything, and I mean everything, except custom tune a computer on a car, rebuild any transmissions, or rebuild an axle. Literally everything else on a car? Yep, done it. Including engine rebuild. And therefore a swap, in effect. As well as timing chains/belts. One day I'll get those last three things done, and then I'll be insufferably win. Well, ok, I've not built a frame from scratch or machined an engine block from a chunk of billet, but you get the idea.

So I can do this. Should I? That's the issue.

I looked up the value of my car. That was disheartening. A mere 3500ish. Give or take. Well. I mean, she's worth a million to me, but emotions aren't useful in these sorts of things. She's basically totaled. For timing chains.

And with that knowledge, and thoughts, and the monetary being what it is, honestly... Anything the shop does makes no logical monetary sense, so those get auto-tossed. There's only two choices here.

I could toss her out. Trade her in for a lucky maybe 1000, maybe sell her for that outright to someone who wants a shell, part her out... but c'mon. This is Awesome. I'm not doing that.

The other choice then. Keep her. Fix her myself. Which can be done for WAY less than they're asking to fix her, in any of those configurations. I'm the labor, free, and I'm the warranty. And also get another car/truck to use while she becomes a Project Car/Garage Queen. That'll definitely not stay in the garage. She's gettin' out, that's what she's for.

I happily paid them for their time, because in that I also got information from the good Ford guy who was looking at the car... basically, they *really* didn't want to do the timing set. The time (ha!) involved in doing that mess, and the money thereto, can be better spent on a new engine and there's (probably) no worries, unlike if they do the timing set, and something else breaks later. The 181K miles scares them, in effect, from doing the timing in the first place. That said, the bottom end seems fine, the car's making power, therefore the timing's the only thing that's messed up... on the face of it. Kinda what I needed to hear to say "yeah, I'mma do this."

Car's back home. She was NOT happy on the way back, but then I don't know why the driver's cam sensor was not fully seated... odd. That said, if you get the RPMS up, she's sorta happy, and feels like all cylinders are firing, just a little weirdness to the action going on. As if maybe a cat was plugged (it's not... I think...)

Alrighty. There ya go. The beginning. Full Ford Performance Timing Set on the way, along with gaskets for valve covers, and the three fancy tools needed to do this job. I'm especially looking forward to dropping a valve right away, necessitating my taking off the head(s) to finish the job...

Of course, one new higher volume standard pressure Melling 340HV oil pump is going in. Much like the rear seal when the clutch is being done, you don't not put a new oil pump in, and the HV one will help with oiling. Supposedly, anyway. Also the steel back vs the aluminum is supposed to be a good thing too.

I'm sorta looking forward to this challenge, and hope to drag... er, bring you along in this journey of discovery, pain, sweat, tears, frustration, enlightenment, and ultimately/hopefully elation and joy as my baby comes back to life a bit better than before.

Join me?

---

I will say this. After reading and watching videos (5.4 and 4.6 are virtually the same in this procedure, and that FordTechMakuloco's (FTM) 4 part series on this task on the U-Toobs is very very good stuff)... I can see why *nobody* would want to do the timing alone if they're a shop. It's a *job*. It's not hard, just do it right, but MAN. You have to pull the cams. Pull those followers. And then put them all back... I timed FTM's taking out one, and then putting it back, from putting tool on, getting the follower out, and then removing the tool... then later the reverse for install... Out was 3 minutes 23 seconds. In was 2 minutes 45 seconds. Overall, to do all 24 of those things, it was about a 2 hour if nothing went wrong everything went right job. I'm counting on 4.

It's just easier/cost effective/less chance of something untoward happening wasting the timing kit install to swap the motor out. By far. If you're paying Them. Those people. THEY.

Since I'm the one doing the timing set, it's relatively cheap. Including the tools, the materials are about 900ish. The timing set is 500, and then the special tools and valve cover gasket set. Few other lil things like RTV. And if it fixes it, great! Only 1000 instead of three. Car's not totaled after all...

And if it doesn't fix it... all is not lost. I can acquire a new (EDIT: TO ME) motor from somewhere for about 1500 (maybe less? ), swap the timing set onto that (provided the installation on this motor doesn't screw it up. New cam bolts, definitely, and did I mention I got an ARP crank bolt on purpose since I'm supposed to toss the old one?) and the oil pump (ditto). Get 'er dun. It'd be just shy of totaling, but that's ok, she's my project car, and I'm still makin' out like a bandit comparatively speaking.

In either event, the final configuration will have the updated followers and lash adjusters too.

As you can see, if you stuck through all that to get down here, there is a Plan(tm). It might not be the bestest, but I like it and I'mma proceed.

Good luck to me. I'll check in as I progress. (Gonna try to sneak in disassembly before Friday if I can... I already got started!)

/"Sorry about the mess." - Han Solo

Last edited by houtex; 11/26/19 at 09:27 AM.
Old 11/26/19, 03:40 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 126 Likes on 91 Posts
Brother, you know what you have, and you know what you want. You looked at it emotionally and unemotionally. You're the rare bird who can do the work yourself.
That puts you in the catbird seat. You can have your cake and eat it too - for the price of garage time. Since you're a wrencher, we'll go along for your ride on your ride!

Last edited by Paris MkVI; 11/26/19 at 03:43 AM.
Old 11/27/19, 12:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 1,082 Posts
Good luck with it and keep us posted. "Ruby" has 105K on her and I have read that this is a good thing to do around that mileage. Wouldn't want the affects to show themselves at full-tilt-boogie on the road track . . .

Glad to hear you went with the FRPP kit because I have heard that is the way to go. I was going to link those videos for you but it sounds like you've already found them.
Old 11/27/19, 07:02 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 67 Likes on 32 Posts
Awesome will be even moreso after all the bonding

suggestion: STATED or AGREED VALUE insurance rider- its cheap, but could cover your losses if something bad happens on the road. I put stated value on the undriven 09 of a little over sticker price, in case the garage falls on it or something, actually thinking about it, I need to heed MY advice and up the coverage on the 06 too...would hate for it to ever be totalled for a minor-but still always expensive- mishap... with agreed value, you can pad the 'total' tipping point, and for a couple hundred a year to cover say another 5k, it might easily save the car...by ironically 'doubling' its value on paper... insurance sucks for things with sentimental value.

my 06 has 95000 on it now- worries of cam phaser failures had me up idle rpm to 850, to keep the low idle oil pressure from degrading them- I *think* the reduced chain slop at higher rpm would help tensioners too- even brand new, at low rpm they are loudest. 1
Old 11/27/19, 10:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Well, I'mma be honest with myself on that. Like I said up there... she's worth a million to me, but nobody else. Even with the mods, it's still about 3500, maybe 4. She has her bumps and bruises, darn me for those. She still looks fantastic and (will) drive better than most vehicles out there at her age and mileage, but at 181K, she's definitely not a museum piece except for a possible oddity reason, like... I dunno... Most lumber carried without modifications? (8 2x4s, 1 4x4, and some small plywood sheets...? And the trunk closed. Heh.)

So the expense of that kind of insurance is probably best put aside for rainy days, I'm thinkin'.

She is still under full coverage, so she'll be replaced if a sad day where she's actually totaled by being bent up happens. I am trying desperately to not have that happen of course. I had that for my 95 Mark VIII when it got stolen. 3500 check, and one 97 HoopTBird interim car happened. The V6 HoopTBird was a MUCH better car than the Mark VIII, by far. Never was I so glad a car got stolen. It was a blessing in disguise at the time, seriously.

I will say this: A Mark VIII is a *wonderful* car when it's properly sorted. Problem is keeping it sorted. Technological nightmare. I learned a HARD lesson. Unless I'm made of money, simple is best, plentiful is best. And while the TiVCT stuff on my car is the ONE exception... even then, since I'm the warranty and I can do it, it's still good.

Friday. I'm nervous, and yet not. Whee and things, peeps.

/Speaking of rain... it's sorta drizzling, methinks...
Old 11/28/19, 07:42 AM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Received 132 Likes on 118 Posts
It sounds like you are making the right decision for you. I would probably be doing the same thing. We develop an emotional attachment to these cars and cost of maintaining/repairing does not always make financial sense. The repair cost of cars has caused many people to discard an other wise serviceable vehicle. Good luck on your new adventure.
Old 11/28/19, 08:25 AM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,318 Likes on 1,729 Posts
Yes I agree sad but probably best I'm also looking at selling mine as well. Need a home before wheels.
Old 11/28/19, 10:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

EF1: While there's some emotion, it's really more logical. Car's totaled. For timing chains. Can't sell her but for parts, or get seriously taken on trade in, in comparison to 'working'. The saving grace is that I don't have to buy her back to fix her, so she can just sit in the garage a little bit while I get it done, whatever the outcome, and for far less than the shop wanted. And soon enough, she also won't be 'required', that's been determined, just a matter of when/what. When/whatever that is, Awesome becomes my 'toy' and not my daily. Which is something I've wanted to do, but... reasons(tm). That I can't use anymore, so next page already, yeah?

And honestly, at this point, the only thing I'm dreading is the followers. I have the crank alignment tool, I have or have acquired all but one particular tool which I will rent (ball joint tool, has the socket needed to put the front cover seal on the right way), and it all looks fairly straight forward. The time spent on the followers... and potential for dropping a valve... is the fraughtest thing. That, and the condition of the cams/towers/caps. Cams are $100, not a huge, really. Head/caps though... Yeesh.

Even still, if I have to zap off the heads, it's not that much more. I'd have to get the fuel rail disconnect, and that'd be about it.

I said 'Friday', but... there's something that's potentially happening that I might have to take care of first... and it would actually benefit because it would mean I can take more time than just these next three days. We shall see. G'nIght.

/life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans...

Old 11/29/19, 09:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Ok then... (half of) Day one (1) is in the books,and I must say... I'm disappointed.

In me.

I only got started about 6 hours ago, as Turkey Day did a number on my innards. I thought I did ok, but obviously not. It wasn't a good morning/afternoon. Even gettin' towards 3 and 4 pm (CST) was a little sketchy, but eventually, things apparently 'worked out', and I finally got started on this mini-beast mode challenge.

First, I had to clear/clean/figure out the garage as previous activities took their toll. A motorcycle is a bit of work too. That took a little bit. Perhaps an hour? Tools recovered from wherever I scattered them (and a vow to PUT THEM BACK TONIGHT AND EVERY TIME HEREAFTER, big dummy...) Then I started sorting the new things(TM) that I acquired, both parts and tools. That was another hour, I suppose, vetting/testing/preparing.

Alrighty then. Put her up on the jack stands enough so I can creeper under her. Got me a nice new creeper, much nicer than the old one that like to grab me. Ow. Proceeded to denude things from the engine bay.

I won't bore you with severe details, but the highlights include:

Proper draining of coolant is done at the petcock, and a tube put on the spigot, and let er go until done, doing other things. Except it didn't. It did about 2/3 a gallon maybe? I dunno. It stopped. Why. Just... why. I suspect the thermostat being cold kept things locked up. Ugh. I managed to eventually pour coolant everywhere pulling the top hoses out of the way, clean it up,and get enough things out of the way.

Removed fan/shroud. ALL KINDS of room in there now!

Figured the wiring harness to get it out of the way. Some of the routing is really... weird. But it's all out of the way. Hoses too. All zip tied or tucked or whatever, everything's clear to go.

Oil drained. I don't know who put the drain plug on, but dang. It's still good though, just 3 ugga duggas is too much, guys/gals. Oil looked a little dark, but then Castrol Magnatec isn't exactly light in color. I figure some of the darkness is that, some just because combustion, and some because of the timing issues. Good news, Bosses! NO SPARKLIES!!! That I could see. That made me happy. I also put a little on my finger and it looked normal to me there. Also on the ground, looked fine there too. Arms. They in the way, yo.

I love my new Harbor Freight Earthquake XT ratchet. AvE approved if'n you don't want to spend much and you need something. Yes and Yes. So much better to pull those farsenars with. Thanks for happening to recently review the thing, Unca Bumble***! You da man. Fits the bill, it does. Ripped off the bolts of that water pump pulley in a jiff. I couldn't hand do them at'all.

Turns out that canned compressed air is good stuff to get in them nooks and crannies of the coil pack valleys. I can't say I like that design issue, but Harbor Freight Air In A Can is seriously powerful in comparison to others I've tried, and worked a treat. Highly approve. Turns the can cold and drippin' wet every time too, bonus.

*All Three Idler Pulleys* are shot. None of them spin worth a flip. I wonder how much MPG I was losin' to those. One I sorta expected. But all three? Not. One. Sound. Out of any of 'em. The tensioner is perfect though... if'n them stressy surface 'cracks' are ok, that is... Tension is good, pulley is good, so... gonna run it for now.

There's some sort of oil seepage near the oil filter. Not real sure what's goin' on there. Have to monitor that.

My clutch job rear main seal replacement appears to be not leakin' in any way, 20K+ miles later. I'm pretty happy about that.

Overall, the engine and car is fairly clean under there... or was until the stupid coolant happening...

Next time I need to deal with the coolant system, the bottom hoses are gettin' tapped and drained there. Then ALL THE HOSES are getting replaced, because getting them off is stupid. Espeically on that thermostat/junction/whatever the heck that thing is in front of the power steering pump. And I'm totally going worm gear clamps. Good ones. Because these plier deactivated ones are just... ugh. If I'm gonna work on the thing, I'm gonna have it be at least less nipping at my fingers.

Ok, all that... And all coils are off (I lost a coil bolt somewhere... gonna have to buy one I think, it may have disappeared into the Shadow Realm...) Moment of truth... but it's teh late. Like 9:30pm now. I've made decent progress. Lemme rip off the left side cover, it's 'easy'. Four of the bolts on it are tough, being the bottom three and back one. But a couple of wobbles and there we go. Ratchet them loose...

Plink, plunk, plonk, clank, clang, aaand she's out! Cam looks perfect, followers look good, chain does too, seems tensed on both sides, doesn't turn on the phaser, everything is nice and tight and seems to be in good shape... although I don't have the thing at TDC to check the actual timing. There's a little teensy orangy varnish on the not-worn parts, but it looks really REALLY good... on the side that's not giving me any issues.

I gotta eat. Get some sleep. And I have a couple of things to attend to in the AM. Hopefully right side comes off and looks about like the other one... then timing cover. I shall see what's up. And maybe the followers 6 and then the cams off so I can inspect the journals, make sure the towers/caps are good... Oh yeah, before all that, I gotta get the power steering pump off. May have to actually pull the pulley, but guess what? Got a puller! Actually a set, both puller for that, and also pulley installer kit, all in one. Just for that and to put the crank pulley on. It was cheap, and I will take care of it, promise.

I ain't lookin' forward to anything about that power steering pump.

Update complete. Until tomorrow's update!

/And yes... All tools put up where they belong as promised. Cleaned them up too. Felt good to do it. Don't know why I got in the 'whatever' mode before.

Last edited by houtex; 11/29/19 at 09:53 PM.
Old 11/30/19, 05:12 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Great to hear your progress. You will experience some pain and some mess to be sure. But I believe, when all is said and done, both you and Awesome will be happy campers.
Old 11/30/19, 11:58 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I sincerely hope so...
Old 11/30/19, 11:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Right then, Day Two is in the books. Such as it is/was.

Another late start. I'm really gettin' tired of being sick and tired. Stupid body, I want a new one. I turned off the alarm as I couldn't get to sleep until way way late last night, and I apparently took advantage of it... Brunchtime is when I got up. What the entire... I hurt too, but then, that'd be normalish anyway.

Also had to do a fluids hunt. Only ONE PLACE has Motorcraft Gold coolant... except maybe the dealerships... and that was this one particular Autozone. WAAAY over there. Not terrible, but still. Fine. All the oil is the same price for high mileage full synthetic, which I thought I'd use because extra cleaning it's supposed to be good for, because after all this mess, so I got Mobil 1 HM. And I got the right Motorcraft filter. Both of which will be changed out pretty quickly. And of course, got the coolant. A wally worl (I know, I know... I tried at the other two places, just... yeah. In a hurry and needed it now, c'mon) trip later for a pitcher, stick and distilled waters... and also got the pulleys from Advance what had them in stock right around the corner, and a nice 20% off on that too. Sweet.

And another bout of "ugh". I won't go into details...

So. Finally got started about.. what...4 or 5? I forget. I'm real messed up these days... I gotta be better tomorrow.

Ok, actual job highlights/thoughts ensue:

Power steering pump is a ***** in this thing. All the bolts are studded, have nuts, and the nuts don't want to come off, so... and it doesn't help the lower radiator hose wraps around the thing, causing more room issues... Then the frame rail is in the way... but I managed, having prepared for this by getting these nifty Husky (Home Despot) flex head 12 point ratchet wrenches and they did a *magnificent* job... and I did too because those flex heads can be *locked in place*. So. Nice. Worth every penny.

Tie wrapping the pump, the reservoir and the hoses/thermostat outta the way was really fun. Honestly. I was so proud at the end of that, almost as much as I was the wiring yesterday.

The dirt around the coil holes and above where the cover goes? That's a real ***** to not get anywhere where you don't want it to. But I managed my best. Ditto the wiring loom plastic what's just disintegrating... I am pondering when I'll have to take it out and just tape it like old school... And have done before... another story.

Took the right valve cover off... all that valvetrain looks *better* than the left side. Which I found somewhat odd. Much shinier, less orangy... makes me wonder things... But anyway. Cams lobes feel smooth.

But there it is. Or isn't. Or, isn't where it's supposed to be... or whatever you want to envision. Right side guide has exploded. Pieces of it where it really shouldn't be. Great. Kinda figured, but still.. great. Picked them out from where I could at that moment. Chain is slack, unlike left side, so that explains that. And why it got worse and worse, as the guide slowly started to disappear... Not great.

Ok, so... is what it is movin' forward. Pull the crank pulley. Aaand my three jaw isn't shallow enough. I'd have to grind some material off it to get it to fit behind the arms of the pulley. Fine. One O'Reilly's trip later, as they had it where others didn't, I got the Chrysler puller, the ball joint tools (for to put in the timing cover front seal) and the pulley installer tool. Not cheap for all that renting... but it'll get right back to me when I give them back. One of them was as much as the other two... And while I was out, dinner.

And back to it, and I got the pulley off. Yay. Weird setup. Very awkward. But manageable.

Got a piece of cardboard (a top from a banker box) and proceeded to dismount the bolts for the timing cover, putting bolts in holes I made in the quick diagram I made to mimic the cover. So I can get them back on right. Oh yeah, those oil pan bolts... fine... ugh... not terrible, but still, I thought I was done for a while being under the messy car... Timing cover off!...

... Ew...

There were lots and lots of pieces of that right chain guide. Three of them fell out when the cover came off, a couple were in the pan... a few more here and there... all retrieved... I'll have to forensically put them together to see if I got them all, or if they're in the pan... where they can stay, I'd say, as long as they *stayed*, and didn't get in the pickup tube... and my oil pressure works... Not real happy about it, but... I'm going to see if I can crawl between the crank and the radiator (have to take off the undertray, which I was kinda avoiding) to see if I can peer in the pan directly and have a look see. And if there are pieces in there... Gonna have to go get one of them grabby things and play the crane game, but sideways. Yay. If I can't get 'em out...and it's definitely iffy whether I could live with them lurkin' in there anyway... I gotta drop the pan... which is... well... problematic. *Doable*, yes, as I can take the K member out, just gotta acquire the means to support the engine, but... yeah. Don't want. I shall see what I shall see, I suppose.

Sidenote: Why did it explode? Chain slap of the guide. Tensioner loses gasket integrity. Oil pressure in tensioner is lost over time after engine stop. Spring is the only thing really trying to tension at start. It's not strong enough. Slap of the chain, which is the chain hitting the guide as it flops about for a few seconds. Enough years of this ignorance of the issue and voila. It got slapped one too many times, explody. And all the videos I've seen, all the issues I've seen, happen to be the right side. Why? Well, that's because the right side tensioner points up, meaning the chain pressures down on it. Gravity. It's a thing. And it's not helping, unlike the left side's tensioner, which points down and the chain and arm 'hang' from it. Oh, it'll fail, sure, just the right side's going first, probably. This is, of course, a guess based on what I've seen and what has happened. I'm sure I'm statistically incorrect, but whatever. Point is:

LEARN FROM THIS. If you hear chain slap at start, it may make it 5 years and 100,000 miles. Or it might explode tomorrow. But it's happening. Go do the tensioners and guides at the least. But because the kit's only $500, and you *can* do it yourself... or maybe a buddy and you... or maybe your buddy... or you're made of money... I'd do the entire set like I'm doin' now, 'cause you're there anyway. Also, it may be a great idea... or not... to do this anytime your clutch needs replacing, as it's not terribly long ago I did mine... just a thought...

Ok, movin' forward again... Turned the crank to put the keyway (not the timing mark) at 12 o'clock. Lobes of right side cylinder 5 are where they should be. Magic. Just like FordTechMakuloco said!

And that's where I left it. Put the tools up, secured the things, covered the engine with clean shop towels where it was exposed to droppings, and closed up shop until tomorrow. I had thoughts of pulling a follower to see what that felt like, as it was just going to be 1 of 6, and the exhaust one on 5 is *right there*, but... I choose to just wait until tomorrow to play with the new tool.

At least I can return the crank pulley puller tomorrow, yes?

I also gotta clean the front of the engine for the timing cover, don't let me forget!

Alrighty. Until tomorrow's update! Good night.

/I can *definitely* see why no shop worth their salt wants to attack this. Nightmare fuel for them. MUCH easier to slap an engine in...

//Which may still happen, IDK. We'll see... Hopin' not...

///That peering in oilpan... Not sure I can see the sump or not... Borescope shoppin' maybe...

Last edited by houtex; 11/30/19 at 11:28 PM.
Old 12/1/19, 04:29 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Partway through Day Three (3). Takin' a break. Quick thoughts:

I got an inspection camera. Not the best, but cheap enough I went ahead. Had to exchange immediately because the thing didn't have the extras, someone was tamperin'. Kinda need that mirror...

The followers were... not bad! All of them dang near literally fell out once the application of pressure upon the spring. Doesn't hurt I bought a really strong magnet on a stick, and that thing just (siphoned with a large amount of negative pressure) them right on out, pretty as you please!. The exhaust on cylinder 8 (driver, rear) was a pill to get aligned. But once aligned and pushed down... flip! Out it went!

I left the tool on that last cylinder exhaust. Then proceeded to crank the crank 180 to put the keyway at 6 o'clock... and then realized I left the tool there. Compressin' the valve. Oops. But I looked at how the lobe was spinning, and it didn't seem it was on the upstroke enough. I think I'm ok... Idiot moment. I'm tired, I guess. I was gonna pull the spark plugs anyway and stick the camera down with the 45 mirro and see what I see, just to be sure. Sparks are easy since I did ... The Procedure... (as opposed to ...The Method...) so they'll come right out, like they did at about 150K, I think? Real easy, nickel anti-seize for the win. Anyway, I'll see if I bent something, which would suck, but I'm prepared...ish...

All the timing is off the front now. The right side remnants (mainly, the bolts, and a piece at the bottom) of the guide, the right tensioner, right tensioner arm, chain. Left tensioner off, came out with my hand, no prying, nice. Tensioner arm off, guide off, chain off. Both phasers removed. And of course, the crank sprocket. Cleaned up things a little.

The oil pump. O.M.G. What a PITA, those two pickup tube bolts. Ugh. Especially the lower, more centered one. Putting those back should be *hilarious*, but I'll say it again... these Husky (Home Despot) locking flex head 12 point ratchet wrenches are exactly the thing to have... even if they don't ratchet on the bolt anymore. At the end, had to hand...finger... remove the last bolt. And I had my trusty lil' magnet ready to go... didn't need it. I'm that good!... Anyway, oil pump wiggled off (Used a plastic thingy to push the tube off, so I don't scratch things) and...

Yay. More guide remants in the oil pan. Great. Guess I'm goin' fishin. Good thing I have this inspection camera and this grabber tool with a compass in the stock and this thing what tells time. Just hope I'm able to actually extract anything else in the pan. But... if it's small enough... I'm just gonna send it. What I got to lose, pull the engine, swap these timing things on a 'new-to-me-block' that'll be on an engine stand and ready to play with if it comes to that?

K.

Don't wanna, but will if gotta.

Although I'm thinkin' *maybe* I got enough of those bits... and the ones that I just got out of the oil pan, which were really just lyin' there... to reconstruct the thing what will reassemble into the correct length and amount of material...?

Riiight...

Ok, break over. Back to work. Laters.

Last edited by houtex; 12/1/19 at 04:32 PM.
Old 12/1/19, 09:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Day 3 is done.

And so is Awesome. Well, for now. A further delay than I'd like.... but yeah, she's not going anywhere real soon for a while. Truly a project car at this point. Dangit.

I used the inspection camera best I could. And I swear to you, there wasn't any orangy/tan pieces of plastic to be shown... but then I admit, the camera isn't all that controllable. Too big an area, too weird an angle, not enough 'enclosure' to keep the camera in place... so yeah. It's cool, I saw good things, but no plastic.

Maybe I got it all out already?

Put the pieces together in a pile.. couldn't figure out how it goes back together.. then got the new guide... oh.

That's... way not enough orange plastic to make up what the new bluish-green plastic has in mass/material. By far.

It's in that sump. Can't have that, it'll starve the thing of oil, possibly. I don't see it anywhere else, nor where else could it go. It's in there.

So. What do.

Already discussed, of course, above. Sell her for nothing, or parts, but not happenin'. Fix the problem, or replace the engine.

I'm not yet at 'replace engine', as I'm going to figure out how to lift that engine to get the pan off. That's the move. Either that, or support it and pull the K member, which I can also do. It'll put that Transmission Jack I got to good use. Used it for the axle, will use for this. The engine support is not expensive. I missed the sale on a hoist though... dang it.

The goodish news is that I've done at least a full 360 crank spin on the thing before I did any of the timing removal, and it seemed smooth, and there's compression everywhere. So I think she's fine overall on the bottom end and valvetrain.

Yeah. Keep moving forward, just gonna be a little longer now...

---

I got to say... I know these 3v motors have issues. Especially the 5.4, but I think they get more attention because F150/Exploders use them. But essentially, they're the same. I think the cam follower issues of the 5.4 is because of the extra length of the deck, and that causes the starving. But it's a theory of mine, to be sure..

But even then, it's not the real issue here. It gets beat up, then explodes. That has a reason. It's the not-good design/materials of the tensioner gasket. Which causes the tensioner to fail. Which causes chain slap. Which causes the explody. And it's usually the right side, seems, because gravity...

I think I said that before. But I'm rantin', lemme go for a second.

Anyway. Just can't believe that all this... ALL THIS... is caused by a blowout on a tensioner.

Well, like the clutch, I know better now. I'm better prepared to handle this. It won't be happening again. Something else will break, but not this. And if chain slap happens, I know what to do.

Ugh.

/Gotta get a second ride... One'll turn up I like.

//I have odd issues with many cars, Awesome's the only one I fit in, really, which is why it's sorta difficult.

///I'd like to have a Mustruck, to be honest... And no, not that Mach-E... A S197 Mustang Ranchero wouldn't be terrible, would it...?

////Saw a new video with FordTechMakuloco where he pulled the oil pan and pickup outta a destroyed guide 4.6... yeesh. It's everywhere. I have to pull the pan for sure.

Last edited by houtex; 12/1/19 at 09:44 PM.
Old 12/2/19, 07:06 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Day Four.

Hadda go to work. I'd have rather done work on Awesome, but alas.

I wonder if I'm doin' the right thing, but then I realize I am and all is right.

The oil pan issue is gonna get solved and that right quick. Gonna lift the engine up offa it's mounts, and secure it with the engine support I now have. That'll be handy from time to time, I'm sure. I may or may not have to loosen, but not pull, the K member. We shall see.

That's really it for today. Laters!
Old 12/3/19, 04:55 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Wow, what a journey. My '06 is at the 195K mile mark. Still runs great and pulls hard. But what you are dealing with here sure has me thinking.

If I run into the same issues you have, mine is totaled as well. And I don't have your skill set, or tool kit. Or time. Not by a long shot.

How would you describe the sound of the chain slap? I want to be listening for it.
Old 12/3/19, 10:02 AM
Legacy TMS Member

That right there. That's exactly the sound and the reason and everything. Except much more rapid, like a machine gun-ish thing, much louder, and only when the tensioner's not tensioning due to the oil pressure leakdown. Typical on cold starts, sometimes on warm/hot, sometimes not, depends. *BRATTATTATATAAtatatat...* for a second or two, then it's gone.

I can't find a better video for this sound, so far. And no, I'll not be recreating it at this point, don't ask.

---

P'shaw on the skill set. Turnin' wrenches and such. Tool kit, yeah, not everyone has this stuff, I'll grant. Some of it's pretty special needs, therein lies the problem I suppose.

Time is the real factor here, as you mention. Disassembly is tough. Assembly will dang near fly together once it's all ready. Just follow the instructions, it's not just the name of some barge what catches SpaceX boosters.

---

Oh, and this earlier thing:

There's some sort of oil seepage near the oil filter. Not real sure what's goin' on there.
That's apparently a known issue. News to me. Gonna have to get the oil filter adapter gasket and replace it. I mean... while i'm there...

Which means the rest of the radiator hose/fluid has to come off/get released everywhere.

Sweet. Can't wait to clean that up...

Last edited by houtex; 12/3/19 at 10:17 AM.
Old 12/6/19, 07:54 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,152 Likes on 825 Posts
Wow this is quite a sad tale. But sounds like she did have a good and full life. 180+k is a bunch of miles. Hope your are able to get to an acceptable solution. I would have a tough time letting mine go, or sending her off to who knows where. It would be like a death in the family. I feel for you. You are in a tough spot. Good luck and hope you can come to terms with a solution. Best wishes on this...
Old 12/7/19, 10:26 AM
Legacy TMS Member

It ain't sad at all!

Well, ok, the disappointment in the events and costs and worth and such, sure, that was a bit frown inducing.

Thing is, I'm learning, and it's kinda fun. Bit frustrating here and there, sure, bit tedious in certain things (especially the 'keep it clean' part, that's... fun), but overall, it's not making me sad anymore. Just a thing to get done. She'll be back on the road soonish. And she's just otherwise gettin' broken in on the miles. Plenty more left in that block, I believe... I'll see soon enough!

Thanks on the best wishes!

/life is in the way, so there's a delay this weekend. I'll get what I can done, and report back...
Old 12/7/19, 11:56 AM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,152 Likes on 825 Posts

Quick Reply: Change chain chaiiin... Chains ya fool...