2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Cancel Order for a Vette?

Search this Thread

Old 2/11/05, 06:29 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, it has only been a few weeks since I ordered, but my dealer is telling me it could be until May or Jung until I get my car. Frankly, I think that is ridiculous to wait that long to buy their product. So, tonight I went and drove 2002 red vette. I am seriously thinking about cancelling my order if there is no news in a couple of weeks. Do you all think this is a terrible idea?
Old 2/11/05, 06:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by KansasCityTim@February 11, 2005, 7:32 PM
So, it has only been a few weeks since I ordered, but my dealer is telling me it could be until May or Jung until I get my car. Frankly, I think that is ridiculous to wait that long to buy their product. So, tonight I went and drove 2002 red vette. I am seriously thinking about cancelling my order if there is no news in a couple of weeks. Do you all think this is a terrible idea?
It's your money. Spend it on whatever makes you happy. You'll get a lot opinions on this forum but the only one that matters is yours. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 2/11/05, 06:44 PM
V6 Member

First off, I'd take a Vette in a hot second my friend. With that said the next question is, do you want to pay around (guesstimating) $38,000-$42,000+ and killer insurance for a Vette? Also, a 2-seater versus a (sort of) 4-seater. Will you be driving it daily? Still, it comes down to do you want to spend that much for a super-nice, but expensive car. Basically, there's a lot of dough that you'll have to consider in the long run. If it's not your main car, and you have the money to burn, heck, go for it.
Old 2/11/05, 06:55 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by KansasCityTim@February 11, 2005, 7:32 PM
I ordered my Stang in Novemeber, and I am so fed up that I am probably going to buy a G35 coupe instead. Its another 8-10K over the mustang, but by the time my car comes (April/May) I will have the cash for the G35 all ready.

Its definetally not a terrible idea. Weigh your options, there are definetally a lot of cars that are better than the Mustang, its just a matter of how much you want to spend.
Old 2/11/05, 06:58 PM
Cobra Member

Well, the vette I drove wasn't new, it was a 2002, but it only had 11,700 miles on it. He said he could beat my price on the stang, which was 30,000.
Old 2/11/05, 07:02 PM
Cobra Member

.....and I just checked....the insurance on the vette will be less than on the Mustang GT Convertible.
Old 2/11/05, 07:06 PM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well if it works out for you and makes you happy bro, roll with it. My buddy just got a 2002 and LOVES it.

I have driven it and his old one (a 96) and they did NOT click with me - don't like them that much at all but that's just my personal opinion - s'why I bought my Stang.

Buy what makes you happy!
Old 2/11/05, 07:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Vettes are really nice cars, go by what you like best not one someone else tells you to get.

Vettes are a whole lot of fun to drive, handle great, stop great, and are quick and fast. The only thing I dont really like is the laying on the floor feeling.

By the way you should be able to get a used 2002 z06 for around $30,000 around here and there is one for BIN $31,888 on ebay. You can get the 2001 (385 horse) z06 for even less.
Old 2/11/05, 07:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by TomServo92@February 11, 2005, 9:39 PM
It's your money. Spend it on whatever makes you happy. You'll get a lot opinions on this forum but the only one that matters is yours. Good luck with whatever you choose.
I agree with that Whatever floats your boat . . . . . .

The Boss Hog
Old 2/11/05, 07:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

If you had the $ for a Vette, have you thought about waiting for the Cobra? That would be interesting choice to make.

I don’t think you can go wrong with the Mustang or the Vette. For me the Vette is out dream range for me since I can’t fit my the 3 of us, and I can’t get a bicycle in it. Good luck
Old 2/11/05, 07:19 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
No one can flame you for buying a Vette. They're pretty sweet, plus a few years down the road you'll have a little better resale to get a C6. My friend, even though I love the 'Stang, it's no match for the C6. That is one unbelievable car.
Old 2/11/05, 07:19 PM
Cobra Member

Well, as I have said, it would be a used vette versus a new mustang. That is a big consideration. Do I want to spend 30k on a used car? I am not certain. I only ask for everyone's opinions b/c I am honestly torn 50/50. Also, I am single and 26, so right now might be the best time to own a car like a vette. Heck, I have no idea. (why I am soliciting comments)
Old 2/11/05, 07:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by KansasCityTim@February 11, 2005, 8:22 PM
Well, as I have said, it would be a used vette versus a new mustang. That is a big consideration. Do I want to spend 30k on a used car? I am not certain. I only ask for everyone's opinions b/c I am honestly torn 50/50. Also, I am single and 26, so right now might be the best time to own a car like a vette. Heck, I have no idea. (why I am soliciting comments)
You gave us a little info to work with so I'll give you a little more of my perspective. If you're single, 26, and don't mind spending $30K on a used car, go for the Vette. Here's why: If you plan on ever settling down with a nice woman and have a family, it'll be much harder to justify the vette later (unless you're really doing well financially and can afford a "toy"). Get the vette now if you want one because you may not get the chance later.

I will ask one question: what exactly is the rush to buy a car now?
Old 2/11/05, 07:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

You answered your own question, the rush to buy a car now? He's single and 26.

Vette's are very nice cars, but the Vette crowd is a breed unto itself. In my experience, if you don't KNOW that you want a Vette, buying one won't seal the deal. You either have to have a Vette, or you don't want one. I've never met a Vette owner who bought one on a whim. With that said, I don't know you, so don't let my experience sway you either way.

After having "settled" for several cars that I didn't want, my advice to you is that if you wanted the 05 Mustang bad enough to order it in the first place, WAIT FOR IT TO ARRIVE.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Sean
Old 2/11/05, 07:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by azoufan@February 11, 2005, 8:45 PM
You answered your own question, the rush to buy a car now? He's single and 26.

Vette's are very nice cars, but the Vette crowd is a breed unto itself. In my experience, if you don't KNOW that you want a Vette, buying one won't seal the deal. You either have to have a Vette, or you don't want one. I've never met a Vette owner who bought one on a whim. With that said, I don't know you, so don't let my experience sway you either way.

After having "settled" for several cars that I didn't want, my advice to you is that if you wanted the 05 Mustang bad enough to order it in the first place, WAIT FOR IT TO ARRIVE.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Sean
Ya know, I didn't consider that. If I could have afforded a vette when I was 26, I would have bought one too. You are right about vette people. A friend of mine is a vette guy. He's owned several (mostly when he was much younger) and still owns the '73 he bought new. One of the interesting things about this guy is that when he saw the '05 Mustang, he fell in love and wants one. It would be the first Ford he's ever considered owning.
Old 2/11/05, 08:23 PM
GT Member

Get the 05 and maybe an older Vette

My '81 spanks the 05 in a bad way. However, overall I enjoy the 05 much more.

Old 2/11/05, 08:33 PM
CME
GT Member

As far as vette vs. mustang that's a tough one.

But in a similar story I know a guy who's hardcore chevy. Been a drag racer and performance guy his whole life. When the first 05 GT got to town the owner let him try it out. He won't say much about how much he liked it, but now "his wife" :scratch: now owns one.

So I say drive em both and see which fits better.
Old 2/11/05, 08:53 PM
Team Mustang Source

IMO If you have to ask which one - that may be the problem. When I first saw the 05 something clicked and I knew this was it! If neither one grabs you, get one that does. Believe me being 26, single and fancy free, you ought to have some wheels that you love.
Old 2/11/05, 09:03 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

If your dealer is telling you June, they they stink and have a crappy allocation. Go somewhere else and find out what their allocation/order ratio is.
Old 2/11/05, 09:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

You're received a variety of good advice so I'm sure I'm not the only that wants to know....made a decision yet?

Quick Reply: Cancel Order for a Vette?