The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2005-2009 Mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f637/)
-   -   Cabin air filter; who has changed it? (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f637/cabin-air-filter-who-has-changed-430852/)

austexstang 2/10/06 12:49 PM

Hello all; yes, I did a search. Has anyone changed this filter and if so, how difficult is it? Thanks

austexstang 2/10/06 01:07 PM

My bad... Now the search worked for me.

Torch_Vert 2/10/06 06:42 PM

I haven't changed it yet, but it looks pretty easy.

Basically shut the car off with the wipers up on the windshied as high as possible, remove the two trim retaining pins that secure the black cowl trim in front of the windshield on the passenger side, and then lift the panel off. The filter is right under there, it just unclips.

mustangjack 2/11/06 08:32 AM

That area works well to get wire into the engine compartment. I ran my temperature sensor for my mirror though a rubber plug behind the battery into the cowl area. I then drilled a hole in the side of the box that holds the filter and stuffed it through the bottom and under the dash. Sealed the box off with duct tape and covered the wire with loom. You can't tell it doesn't belong.

Mark S. 5/15/07 05:14 PM

I changed mine the other day and it wasn't exactly a "piece of cake." Whatever you do, be sure to put your wipers at the 12 o'clock position before starting the replacement...I learned the hard way.
It's not too difficult to remove the two push pin fastners...remove the philips head then use some needle-nosed pliers underneath and squeeze the fastner on the bottom portion and then pull out the body of the fastner by hand (using the pliers underneath). Do the same for both.
However, removing the vent cowl was definitely a bit more difficult. I had the assistance of my son who was able to pull it up enough for me to remove the frame containing the air filter (you will hear the four plunger type fastners release with a small popping noise as you pull up)...after replacing the air filter I then made sure that the four snap type fastners of the vent cowl were pushed back into the body frame..I then put the two push type fastners back in. It was then that I noticed that I had slightly damaged the edge of the vent cowl in two places. First, the edge next to the base of the passenger wiper arm had rubbed against it and then, secondly, on the far passenger side of the vent cowl (where I was pulling up) where it rubs against the hood while you're trying to keep it open. I fixed both with a little bit of sanding and some flat black paint.
Lesson learned: definitely put your windshield wipers up in the 12 o'clock position...and put something on the far right passenger side (like a rag) between the hood and that corner of the vent cowl BEFORE pulling up on the vent cowl. I'm not looking forward to this annual ritual.

DoctorQ 5/15/07 05:30 PM

the more I read this thread... the more I believe I'll have to convince my dealership to change out my cabin air filter (under warranty) before I hit the 3/36 barrier.

SixtySix 5/15/07 06:07 PM

Good luck with that. It's not a warranty item, it's a consumable maintenence item.

Scott 5/15/07 07:15 PM

I have tried to replace mine, but noone here locally carries the replacement in stock. I pulled the old one out and blew through it with compressed air just to clean it up a bit, it really wasn't too dirty, but we have had one heck of a pollen season. I don't think that the job was difficult at all, put the wipers up, a couple of fasteners and bam, it's done.

kevinb120 5/15/07 08:00 PM

I'm gonna put a high-flow cone one in when its worn out :grin:

kevinb120 5/15/07 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Torch_Vert (Post 618740)
I haven't changed it yet, but it looks pretty easy.

Basically shut the car off with the wipers up on the windshied as high as possible, remove the two trim retaining pins that secure the black cowl trim in front of the windshield on the passenger side, and then lift the panel off. The filter is right under there, it just unclips.

Yea its easy. Mine shipped with a defective wiper motor and I watched him take the panel off, its right there staring at ya...

ChrisM 5/15/07 09:30 PM

Here's a link with details including pictures:

http://ratstangrestoration.com/cabin...ement_2005.htm

Good luck!

05YellowGT 5/16/07 05:27 AM

I changed mine without taking the plastic completely out. It's pliable enough that I left one end connected , the outside one , and move it out of the way enough to access the filter ...

RKNMACH 5/16/07 08:19 AM

You can get the retaining pins from the dealeer if you break them like I did - about .96c each. They don't come out easily if you can't squeeze the pin and back out the screw.

GottaHaveIt 5/16/07 08:27 AM

It's soo easy my dealear said I did not even have one on my 05 GT I found out here on TMS how to do it only pop out the top plastic plugs , lift top vent pull filter cover fot top out only , slide old filter dop on the new one fit cover back in place and top vent , drop on plasic plugs and whalla.
If I new How to post a video I would go out repeat all and show all maybe a pic by pic ? But just maybe even Tao-Bill has instuctions already ?

GottaHaveIt 5/16/07 08:29 AM

For retaining pins or plugs you need to get the center part up first then they just pull out or fall out don't drop in the engie some where.

Martimus 5/16/07 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by GottaHaveIt (Post 918024)
It's soo easy my dealear said I did not even have one on my 05 GT I found out here on TMS how to do it only pop out the top plastic plugs , lift top vent pull filter cover fot top out only , slide old filter dop on the new one fit cover back in place and top vent , drop on plasic plugs and whalla.

Funny! One of my local dealerships said the exact same thing. I popped open the cover one afternoon, verified that there WAS a filter, ordered a replacement online, and three days later replaced the filter. It was actually quite easy! :metal:

GottaHaveIt 5/16/07 08:48 AM

I'd bet half of the members here may know more than them ?

Mark S. 5/16/07 03:14 PM

Ed, if you can get the entire vent cowl cover to come off...then changing the cabin air filter is a breeze...it's getting the whole passenger cover off...I tried, but it felt like I was going to damage something...hence my procedure is to lift it enough (with some additional help) and then change out the filter. Next time, I will move the wipers to the 12 o'clock position in order not not scrape the vent cowl edge against the base of the passenger wiper arm...it did a bit of a number on it.

Lime05owner 5/18/07 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Martimus (Post 918029)
Funny! One of my local dealerships said the exact same thing. I popped open the cover one afternoon, verified that there WAS a filter, ordered a replacement online, and three days later replaced the filter. It was actually quite easy! :metal:

My local dealer said there wasn't one....I had pulled the pn# from this forum. They looked it up..."Dayum..I guess there is one!" Took them 15 mins (first one they had ever done) and it cost $14...had them do it when they had scheduled to replace my seat release knob (for the 4th time)....

Jay

wyldv6 5/18/07 02:46 PM

After reading this thread I went and looked at mine...:puke:

Went and called my local dealer, they didn't have it in stock after I explained to them what I wanted three times :banghead:

So I search online and find a place in Texas that sells for less $$$

Placed my order Tuesday night, received it today, put it all back in car took about ten minutes.

Now to go breath clean non-smokey brush fire air...