2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

bright light derangement syndrome

Search this Thread

Old 1/21/07, 02:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bright light derangement syndrome

I just had to rant about these foglights again. If you use your fogs this is probably a familiar story for you as well.

I was driving home on the freeway friday night. I'm in the left lane and i'm approaching a ford focus from behind. As i get up the focus it moves over one lane to the right and i pass by. Then he gets behind me and turns on his bright lights and begins flashing his bright lights on me. I'm thinking WTF? Then I remembered that my fog lights are on and this nut must think my brights are on. I continue to pull away and soon this guy reaches his exit and I continue on my way. This is not the first time something like this has happened. It seems whenever i use the fogs they seem to attract lunatics.

Was it dumb for ford to mount the fog lights so high? I wish ford would have put the fog lights low as they are on the roush frontends.

Have you had similar fog light altercations?
Old 1/21/07, 03:02 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Never had anyone highbeam me cause of my fogs.
Old 1/21/07, 03:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

I never use them, they don't seem to do much for me as far as brightness goes...
Old 1/21/07, 03:21 PM
Bullitt Member

I get flashed quite often. If I was quick enough, I'd put my real high beams on just to show these ignoramuses what the high beams look like.
Old 1/21/07, 04:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Used to have that problem as well. Since I installed the SSE grill, the problem has ceased.
Old 1/21/07, 04:30 PM
Cobra R Member

Never gotten that problem before.
Old 1/21/07, 04:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by neil07gt
I just had to rant about these foglights again. If you use your fogs this is probably a familiar story for you as well.

I was driving home on the freeway friday night. I'm in the left lane and i'm approaching a ford focus from behind. As i get up the focus it moves over one lane to the right and i pass by. Then he gets behind me and turns on his bright lights and begins flashing his bright lights on me. I'm thinking WTF? Then I remembered that my fog lights are on and this nut must think my brights are on. I continue to pull away and soon this guy reaches his exit and I continue on my way. This is not the first time something like this has happened. It seems whenever i use the fogs they seem to attract lunatics.

Was it dumb for ford to mount the fog lights so high? I wish ford would have put the fog lights low as they are on the roush frontends.

As a courtesy, I ALLWAYS turn my fog lights off when I come up behind someone. The ONLY time you should need them is when you are on a unlit road or it is foggy. I think that ANYONE that drives around at night with foglights on all the time is ignorant, doesn't realize they have the on or a RICER!
Old 1/21/07, 04:54 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by tacbear
As a courtesy, I ALLWAYS turn my fog lights off when I come up behind someone. The ONLY time you should need them is when you are on a unlit road or it is foggy. I think that ANYONE that drives around at night with foglights on all the time is ignorant, doesn't realize they have the on or a RICER!
I like how the car looks with the fogs on. If that makes me ignorant, so be it. They are perfectly legal.
Old 1/21/07, 04:54 PM
Cobra R Member

I think that ANYONE that drives around at night with foglights on all the time is ignorant, doesn't realize they have the on or a RICER!
I have to both agree and disagree on this. I think our "fogs" are actually considered "driving lights" anyway. If they were fogs, they would be aimed just in front of the car and low. Therefore, they shouldn't be blinding anyone.

I do agree that fogs on in "normal" weather is a little dumb. But, on GT's, it looks oh so nice to see.

WHAT MAKES ME MAD IS PEOPLE WHO DRIVE WITH JUST FOGS OR WITH JUST PARKING LIGHTS...and people who type in all caps [Had to give myself a hit.]
Old 1/21/07, 05:06 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Agleon
Never had anyone highbeam me cause of my fogs.
+1..
Old 1/21/07, 05:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by neil07gt

I got my car in December of 04, and since the 1st day I drive w/ my headlights and foglight on all the time, day and night as I like the way they look.
I added the Roush bumper in September 06 and since then I have alternated between the stock fogs and the Roush fogs, and have never had any problems w/ people flashing their brights at me or getting stopped by the police for driving w/ my brights on.
Old 1/21/07, 05:34 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by outdoorstom
I like how the car looks with the fogs on. If that makes me ignorant, so be it. They are perfectly legal.
Amen to that!

Hmm... Thinking that the Mustang's grill mounted lights are true fog lights is about as silly as thinking that Professional Wrestling isn't staged!

Old 1/21/07, 07:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

I think that ANYONE that drives around at night with foglights on all the time is ignorant, doesn't realize they have the on or a RICER!
I think that ANYONE that can't use proper grammer in a sentence is also ignorant. Looks like we should hang out together since we are both ignorant.

I drive with mine on, people that flash at us don't realize what the deal is with the lights. They aren't blinding people, if they were they would never have been approved in that fashion by the NHTSA or whoever approves that. If you flash someone back, you make the other driver legally blind, as you already are, for 8 seconds. So you have 2 cars coming at each other whose drivers are legally blind for 8 seconds. No thanks. (Learned that in traffic school, yay.)

Besides, I take comfort in the fact that someday they will say "I was driving by this car and it had his brights on, those stupid Mustangs." At which point someone will clue them in and they will feel stupid, and guilty, and not be able to sleep for 2-3 nights because they flashed their brights at me for no reason. HAHA! Dwell on that SUCKER!
Old 1/21/07, 07:40 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by azoufan
I think that ANYONE that can't use proper grammer in a sentence is also ignorant. Looks like we should hang out together since we are both ignorant.
FYI, it's spelled "grammar"
Old 1/21/07, 08:03 PM
Bullitt Member

I use my "driving lights" all the time, with the increase in mommyvans and drivers with a cell phone stuck to their ear I figure the more visible my car is the better.
I have been in front of, and passed by other GTs with all the lights on, they are NOT that annoying, I think people just gripe when they see a car with four headlites on, when we have the actual "brights" on, then they have a case to complain, lol
Old 1/21/07, 08:20 PM
Closet American

True fog lights are amber anyway. Amber penetrates (that sounds rude, doesn't it? ) the fog much better than white light.
Old 1/21/07, 08:22 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by KR3259
I use my "driving lights" all the time, with the increase in mommyvans and drivers with a cell phone stuck to their ear I figure the more visible my car is the better.
I have been in front of, and passed by other GTs with all the lights on, they are NOT that annoying, I think people just gripe when they see a car with four headlites on, when we have the actual "brights" on, then they have a case to complain, lol
And let's be honest here: the GT's stock headlights / driving lights simply ain't that bright to begin with anyway.
Old 1/21/07, 09:34 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not a big deal. Someone obviously thought they were brights. They were wrong, so what. I just keep driving and take comfort in the fact that they were at least courteous enough to move into the right lane. Seeing all four lights coming up behind you is an intimidating sight and the person was probably not bright enough to realize they were'nt high beams.

Disclaimer: Sorry for the bad pun, and spell/grammar check not used.
Old 1/21/07, 09:39 PM
whs
GT Member

Originally Posted by Bingo
I get flashed quite often. If I was quick enough, I'd put my real high beams on just to show these ignoramuses what the high beams look like.
You could always turn around and pass them again with your brights on for good measure.

I've just chalked it up to people being idiots, and it is our duty to educate them as we pass by. Unfortunately with their limited mental capacity when they see you turn your brights on they probably think you turned them off. It would be great to have the Roush or Steeda bumper with the extra lamps, just so you could turn them all on.

The lights aren't really any brighter but do light up the ditches/side of the road a tremendous help at night. Until some retards flashes their brights at you.
Old 1/21/07, 09:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

At night I always drive with my fogs on. I like the look and they do add some visability. I also upgraded my bulbs in both the headlights and fogs to Silver stars. Much whiter light which also increases visability. I have had people flash there brights at me and most times I just ignore it, but sometimes I show them how bright my High beams are.

As for passing someone and THEN them turning on there brights, Ive expierenced this and I brake checked them down to 0MPH they had to swerve into the other lane to keep from rear ending me. I left them shook up with a patch of rubber to remember me by.

Quick Reply: bright light derangement syndrome