2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery drain

Search this Thread

Old 4/17/16, 04:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Battery drain

Hi my name is juan i need help i just have around 6 month a mustang gt premium 07 i put new battery,alternator , serpentine belt and new coil and for some reason the battey drain Everything still factory on the car thanks for you attention
Old 4/17/16, 10:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Do you have a Shaker stereo?
Old 4/17/16, 01:46 PM

Yes i have a shaker stereo everything stock
Old 4/17/16, 03:02 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Make sure you turn off the stereo before you turn off the car

This may not be the problem, but often the stereo keeps going after the car is off and the stereo appears to be off.
There are many causes of this problem though.
The following users liked this post:
Buckshot Barry (6/8/16)
Old 4/17/16, 05:04 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,964 Likes on 1,589 Posts
The shaker 500/1000 and the active alarm systems are the main culprits for discharging batteries.. This topic has also been brought up in different threads on these forums plenty of times.. If you do a search, you'll find practically every thread that covers the battery drain issues in more detail..
Old 4/18/16, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by karman
This may not be the problem, but often the stereo keeps going after the car is off and the stereo appears to be off.
There are many causes of this problem though.
Thanks i will check on the new models the are fix that issue?
Old 4/18/16, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
The shaker 500/1000 and the active alarm systems are the main culprits for discharging batteries.. This topic has also been brought up in different threads on these forums plenty of times.. If you do a search, you'll find practically every thread that covers the battery drain issues in more detail..
Thanks i will check im going to the dealer let see what they said i never seen that .is any recall about that issue?
Old 4/18/16, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Jcavionics
Thanks i will check im going to the dealer let see what they said i never seen that .is any recall about that issue?
Unless it's a safety related issue, there are no recalls..
Old 4/18/16, 11:03 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
This is a known issue. I fixed mine by removing the the negative battery terminal for about 20 min. Then remove all of the CD's in the Changer. Do not leave them in over night. If you can replaced the Radio and this will never happen again.
Old 4/18/16, 05:39 PM

Hit or Miss

Originally Posted by Jazzman442
This is a known issue. I fixed mine by removing the the negative battery terminal for about 20 min. Then remove all of the CD's in the Changer. Do not leave them in over night. If you can replaced the Radio and this will never happen again.
The odd thing is that not all cars have this problem.
I have had 3 cars with the Shaker 500. 2 of them had factory alarm.
I never had a problem with any of them.
But I sure have seen a lot of other cars with the problem (and helped jump start some).
Old 4/18/16, 05:52 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Juan, turn off your radio before turning off the car.
The following users liked this post:
Buckshot Barry (6/8/16)
Old 4/21/16, 03:08 PM
KdF
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That and leave no CD's in it.
Old 6/2/16, 09:34 PM

Yeah right ! Like Ford's really going to issue a recall for a shaker 500/1000 CD changer that has absolutely nothing to do with a safety related issue whatsoever..

Meanwhile people are still friggin waiting for their parts to come in under the Takata airbag recall, including myself that have killed how many people, and yet you have the d@mn nerve to post on this forum that Ford should issue a recall for a lousy audio system
Old 6/2/16, 10:04 PM

You're still missing the point.. Unless the part in question falls under the category of being a safety related issue, it doesn't qualify under the federal safety regulations for being recalled..

Although you may not agree, it is what it is never the less and yes like yourself, I've also had to replace 2 batteries thanks to the skipper 500 as well..

Since then, I haven't encountered any additional battery problems since making certain there are no CD's in the changer in addition to manually turning the power button off prior to turning the ignition off..

If you've already taken these steps and are still ending up with drained batteries ? Then I'd recommend either pulling the radio fuse when your car is not in use or look into getting yourself an aftermarket head unit that's compatible..
Old 6/3/16, 09:54 AM

If you pulled the radio fuse, the shaker shouldn't even turn on, let alone make any noises at all lol.

As for Ford doing something about it, they did by replacing the head units under the factory 3 year/36k bumper to bumper warranty..
Old 6/3/16, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Gravydog
uh huh. i know all this.
but what you say, & what happens are 2 entirely different things.
(& you know nothing gors wrong until the warranty expires.
I just don't think I should be paying my good hard-earning money for junk.
& I don't even know why you disagree(???)
...if 9/10 people are having the same problem, it's a major issue, & they should treat it as such.
so, do you work for Ford, or do you own a garage lol
It's not that I disagree, and yes I feel the same way that we shouldn't have to spend our hard earned money for replacing parts with such inferior quality from the factory, however it's not just Ford that's at fault, but GM and Mopar are also just as much to blame as well..

Although the domestic 3 have come a long ways since the dreadful 80's and 90's, they're still far behind the imports as far as reliability and quality are concerned..

As for working for Ford or owning a garage goes ? The answer is no.. However I do have a friend of mine who's a sales manager at one of my local Ford dealerships lol.

I'm just a regular consumer and Mustang enthusiast, like yourself
Old 6/3/16, 01:11 PM

I assume you mean time and 1/2 for those 4 hours lol. Anyhow I understand exactly where your coming from, as none of us have a money tree growing in the backyard that can actually afford to throw money down the toilet lol.

For me personally, it just finally got to the point that no matter how much bit*hing I do, it's not going to do any good or change anything..

So what's really the use in wasting unwanted energy on something that is beyond your control that you know full well isn't going make a difference nor change anything to begin with anyhow..

If the shaker 500 I have craps out on me, I'll just simply upgrade to a better quality head unit and be done with it once and for all.. Problem solved

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 6/3/16 at 01:51 PM.
Old 6/3/16, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Gravydog
lol i will try sweet-talking my dad into getting me a new stereo for my birthday
my brothers a mechanic, so he can install it lol
(i intern 9pm-1; then work in the hospital pharmacy 1-5am, then intern 5-9am usually. i get $20/hour at the pharmacy, +$1/hour for working the night shift. i wish i could paid for all the time i waste sleeping OMG ha ha
Well you're sure doing pretty good starting out at $20 per hour, as my wife has been at her job as a personal care assistant for over 12 years and makes barely over $13 per hour.. But between her income and mine, we still manage to get by okay despite having 15 years left on a 30 year mortgage and 3 year lease on her 2016 Ford Escape..

Perhaps her and I should consider relocating to Canada, which btw: I always enjoyed visiting Toronto on the weekends when I still lived in the Buffalo, NY area where I'm originally from, but then relocated to the Pittsburgh, PA region 31 years ago and have remained there ever since..
Old 6/3/16, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Well you're sure doing pretty good starting out at $20 per hour, as my wife has been at her job as a personal care assistant for over 12 years and makes barely over $13 per hour..
Perhaps her and I should consider relocating to Canada
Remember, $20 CND is a little over $15 USD
Old 6/3/16, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by karman
Remember, $20 CND is a little over $15 USD
It's been quite awhile since my last visit, so thanks for refreshing my memory about the currency exchange rate that I somehow completely forgot about..

Guess my age is already beginning to cause memory loss at 57

Quick Reply: Battery drain