The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2005-2009 Mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f637/)
-   -   Bad News - Great News Story (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f637/bad-news-great-news-story-406084/)

Stangrob 4/13/05 09:44 PM

Guys,

It's been a real rollercoaster ride around here the past few days. I went from being pretty low to pure elation. Here's the story...

I called my salesman last Thursday to check on my priority and to see if the dealer has received their allocation numbers for the remainder of the model year. He had been hinting that we might have to reorder the car in May as a 2006, but I was holding out hope that things would work out as my priority had been moving down. However, this time my salesman dropped the boom and said that we would NOT get the car built for this summer and that it would have to be a 2006, with a delivery sometime mid to late fall. :bang:

Downtrodden, I remembered what a number of other forum members did and I did some research to collect about ten new dealers from all around NJ. I picked dealers ranging from Phillipsburg to Little Egg Harbor and out west to Trenton and Cherry Hill. I figured I'd call them all on Friday and check to see if they had any allocations left. My hope was that since they were more "remote" dealers that I might get lucky.

Well, after calling nine dealers and asking them some very pointed questions I found that none had any allocations left for 2005. I was told the same by the saleswoman at the last dealership in Trenton, Haldeman Ford. However, she indicated that one of her customers had just cancelled their order and maybe I'd be interested in that. Hmmm....please tell me more!

Turns out a family ordered two GTs in early December, a Torch Red coupe for mom and dad and a Sonic Blue coupe for their teenage son. However, the son was just accepted to a big western university that doesn't allow freshmen to have cars on campus so it didn't make sense to go ahead with the purchase, however they found all this out after the car had already been built.

So the saleswoman and I went through the details of the car. As it turns out the car coming in was almost identical to what I had ordered except it was Sonic Blue instead of Redfire and it also had the machined rims. Sweet! Since I had been going between the two colors for some time (I really want stripes on this car and white stripes with Sonic Blue look awesome) I said YES - put a hold on the car and I'll be over with down payment right away. I asked when she expected the car to arrive and she said it would likely be in sometime later the following week (i.e. this week)! I couldn't get X-plan like my original order (no surprise) but I did manage to pay MSRP instead. That's incredible considering all the local dealers around me have been marking up their GTs by $4000+. :shame:

Fast forward to Monday. I called my insurance company to have the GT added to my policy. Since I didn't know exactly when the car would arrive I said to go ahead and make the coverage effect Monday night at midnight. Just wanted to ensure there would be no hickups. About an hour later I got a call from the saleswoman - the car had arrived early :D

I took a half-day vacation yesterday to make the hour drive out to the dealership. I pulled up and there was this awesome looking blue GT sitting in front of the dealership with a crowd around it. This is the first Sonic Blue GT that I and the rest of the folks at the dealership had seen in person. Coupled with the black interior it's an amazing combo.

I spent all day yesterday just driving the car around. Thankfully I spent all day Sunday cleaning out my garage with the hope the car would be there soon. I had no idea it would be the next day!!!

Here are some photos of my new baby:

[attachmentid=17746]
[attachmentid=17747]
[attachmentid=17748]
[attachmentid=17749]

Like I said, it's been a wild week. The car is absolutely incredible. I've been waiting for five years since I heard of the redesign to get this car, and it's been well worth the wait. Thanks to all the great info I picked up on TheMustangSource I was able to turn a bad situation into a winner. I keep checking my garage to ensure this just isn't a dream.

Rob

RetroKid 4/13/05 09:49 PM

:banana: that's so cool man, good choice on getting the SONIC BLUE

redstang 4/13/05 09:53 PM

Congrats Rod :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

HVCruiser 4/13/05 09:56 PM

wow did u get lucky

way to be resourceful and have fun with the car

AJC 4/13/05 09:57 PM

patience paid off - congrats! :spot: - I did the same thing - ended up giving up on my sonic blue order after 2 months and bought a black gt right off the delivery truck

bigfoot1141 4/13/05 10:00 PM

Congrates! Wow! What a break for you! I know how you feel I just got mine a week ago and can't get out of it without feeling depressed.

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :nice:

Stangrob 4/13/05 10:15 PM

Wow - my very own dancing bananas!!! I wasn't sure if this day would ever come. I feel so honored....

:D

Rob

Faber 4/13/05 11:12 PM

:jester: :banana: :banana: :banana: :jester:
:nice: :banana: :banana: :banana: :nice:

Congrats bro!!!

Ballz 4/14/05 12:06 AM

What an awesome story! Congrats! :banana: :banana: :banana:

outdoorstom 4/14/05 02:12 AM

:banana: :banana: Congratulations Rob! Sweeeet ride! Way to take the bull by the horns!!!! :banana: :banana:

bill_brenda 4/14/05 03:44 AM

Nice!!!! :metal:

CelticNut 4/14/05 04:14 AM

That is a great story, Rob. As SixtySix would say, "Conga-Rats!" You certainly have been put through the wringer. Now comes the reward. Enjoy your new wheels, buddy. :nice:

:banana2: :rock: :banana2:

AGBULLIT 4/14/05 04:36 AM

:banana: I love stories with happy endings! :banana:
:banana: Enjoy the sonic boom blue GT! :banana:
:banana: Let the nanners dance! :banana:

Captmojo 4/14/05 06:43 AM

:banana: :banana: :banana:

Congrats

:banana: :banana: :banana:

Don't pinch yourself anymore to see if its a dream, JUST step on the Gas!

:nice: :nice: :nice:

trublustang03 4/14/05 06:48 AM

Congratulations !!!! :-D

that is one awesome looking stang :nice:

stargirl66 4/14/05 07:34 AM

Congrats, awesome story!!! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

SixtySix 4/14/05 08:02 AM

As I would say: Conga-Rats!, that story deserves the nana combo!

:banana: :banana2: :banana:

dmon2000 4/14/05 08:05 AM

Congratulations!! :banana: :banana: :banana2: :banana: :banana: And good job on the research. I am sure it helped knowing the right questions to ask the dealerships. I know I never knew the term "allocation" before I signed on. :dunno: Just proves how important this website really is. :-D Happy driving!! Sonic Blue!!!! :drool:

mmoonshot 4/14/05 08:17 AM

Great story, Sonic blue is my choice as well, absolutely beutiful ride...enjoy !!

Taxidad 4/14/05 08:21 AM

:banana: :banana: :banana: well played :banana: :banana: :banana: