2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Anyone Here with an 05-09 S197 Driven or Considered Purchasing the Camaro SS?

Old 4/30/10, 08:03 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Motor Trend did a test on the 2011 Mustang GT, 2010 Camaro SS and the 2010 Challenger with the 6.1L Hemi. The Mustang was the fastest of all three on the drag strip.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...son/index.html
Old 4/30/10, 10:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Anyone Here with an 05-09 S197 Driven or Considered Purchasing the Camaro SS?
Sure, until I sat in one and couldn't see a thing. Then I drove it. Ahhhhhh.NO!
Old 4/30/10, 10:37 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I drove a charger and a challenger and a 2010 mustang. The charger was auto and I couldnt live with that. It was also big and I think they might of changed the shocks out for pillows. The challenger Was also big but it was manual. The Big motor was $46,000 and so I also said no. The 2010 had that butt so I also said NO.

I told the sales guy to just pull around one of those 2009 GT's and get ti full of gas and clean. A zplan later I had it back up here in flagstaff.
Old 4/30/10, 10:46 PM
V6 Member

I test drove an auto SS a while back out of curiosity. It really was a pig and the visibility wasn't good. If you did "decide" to get a Camaro, get the manual for sure.
Old 4/30/10, 10:48 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Flagstang
I drove a charger and a challenger and a 2010 mustang. The charger was auto and I couldnt live with that. It was also big and I think they might of changed the shocks out for pillows. The challenger Was also big but it was manual. The Big motor was $46,000 and so I also said no. The 2010 had that butt so I also said NO.

I told the sales guy to just pull around one of those 2009 GT's and get ti full of gas and clean. A zplan later I had it back up here in flagstaff.
I know it's been talked about many times, but those new BUTTS don't work for me either.
Old 5/1/10, 12:37 AM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
my opinions...
go sit in a new Mustang- its nice
go sit in a new Challenger- its nice
go sit in the camaro- not so nice...
I tried one on at the Cleveland Auto show, and visibility/entry/exit is worse than ever IMO. the bodys not bad looking, I dont care for the front or rear at all, but I think I dislike the new mustang rear more...but I would hate to drive a car wearing blinders, and thats how I felt sitting in the camaro. 'fixing' the interior is not easily done due to the beltline/roofline being so pinched together...chopped tops can look cool, but who would enjoy driving some of those either? the car seems highly unusual to me, as perhaps styling had more input on design than functionality for the first time ever...good for them,but too bad they didnt notice what it would feel like to sit in.
Old 5/1/10, 05:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Test drove the Camaro SS while in Daytona. I can say one thing....that motor had *****. Made power right of idle. Hated the interior for all the reasons stated.
Old 5/1/10, 08:49 AM
V6 Member

Yeah, I think it's because my car has been stock since I got it two years ago. I have gotten used to the power already and in stock trim, I really have to rev it to feel it!

I think it may be time for me to invest in a CAI/tune, exhaust, and maybe a set of 4.10s. From what I have been reading on this site, it seems like the car becomes a whole different beast with just those mods.
Old 5/1/10, 09:01 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The new camaros are only cool if they can transform into robots but we know that'll never happen. With that being said, I used to own a '69 camaro. Don't care for the styling of the new ones though.
Old 5/1/10, 09:27 AM
GT Member

Now that I have modded the 06GT beyond street use (just turned the license plate in to DMV), looking for another sporty daily driver. Camaro looks OK...never been that close to one. Unlike other posters, I don't care who makes the car or where it comes from. Would consider Camaro, but probably would need to be turboed..lol. Had a Viper before as a daily...probably go that route.
Old 5/1/10, 10:48 AM
Bullitt Member

Buy a '69 Camaro and transplant the new drivetrain....that would be a cool daily driver.
Old 5/1/10, 11:52 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Green96GT
Motor Trend did a test on the 2011 Mustang GT, 2010 Camaro SS and the 2010 Challenger with the 6.1L Hemi. The Mustang was the fastest of all three on the drag strip.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...son/index.html

Thats awesome, HAHAHA camaro owners
Old 5/3/10, 05:29 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Nope , but I did spank a brand new SS pretty badly , wasn't even close and he wasn't happy ...
Old 5/3/10, 09:28 AM

The Camaro looks nice on the outside but inside is a whole different story. I'm over 6 feet tall and still couldn't see enough to feel safe on the road. Car needs a periscope or something! I feel much safer in my Bullitt and it's more comfortable to drive as well. I really don't know which is faster with just a short test-drive but all other things considered it doesn't matter - no Camaro for me thanks!
Old 5/4/10, 06:37 AM
Team Mustang Source

Personal taste wise, I'm not a big fan of the rear on the 2010/11 Mustang but it would not stop me from buying one. The exterior design of the Camero is a show stopper for me. A friend of mine is a Camero guy who just rebuild a 69 which looks great. We give each other a hard time but even he said he thought the design was really bad -
Old 5/4/10, 12:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RCCollins
I think the Camaro looks great, it is a little oversized IMHO, as is the Mustang. I would never even consider one however because of the Government Motors/Too big to fail situation, I would never support any company with their mentality.
I couldn't agree more. NOT buying from a company that became a willing ward of the state was high on my priority list.
Old 5/4/10, 08:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
I tried. I really did. But I can't not comment on the question any longer.

**Heresy!** (gets pitchfork)

Love,
Old 5/4/10, 11:45 PM

I considered buying an SS as soon as I finished paying off my '06 GT. But, I didn't test drive one until a few weeks ago.

Stuff I liked...

Engine - Most definitely didn't disappoint. The LS3 had more than enough power to induce grins from me in most gears; even had decent pickup in 6th. Exhaust note had a pretty decent roar at WOT, yet was fairly quiet when cruising along in 6th. No complaints whatsoever with this engine. By comparison, my GT felt rather underpowered on the way home...

Ride - Drove through some pretty roughly patched sections of roadway which I drove through on the way to the dealership in my GT. The SS seemed to be quite a bit smoother and soaked up the impacts better than my GT through these patches. However, it was still a somewhat painful experience (but not for my butt; rather, the top of my head...more on that below).

(Some of the) ergonomics - I liked, no...LOVED the fact that the steering wheel could telescope back/forth and well as tilt up/down.

Brakes - No problems here. The Brembos were more than enough to stop the car quickly and without fuss.

Stuff I was 'meh' on...

Handling - I didn't really get to fully explore its handling limits, but I thought it handled pretty well for a ~3900lb car. That said, it's still a ~3900lb car, and the car didn't let me forget that fact.

Looks (for this particular car) - The car I drove was practically Bumblebee's twin(yellow w/black stripes), but I didn't really care. I'm not really a fan of bright/gaudy colors, and IMO it really made it look cheesy. On the other hand, Camaros I've seen with darker hues, especially Cyber Grey Metallic or Black looked **** good. Not really a fan of the taillights, especially the ones on SS/RS models.

Transmission
- I liked the shift action for the most part on the TR-6060, but I didn't care for the shape of the shifter/shift **** itself, and the clutch felt far too light IMO for this type of car.

Stuff I didn't like...

Ergonomics - to sum it up in 3 letters...WTF? Who designed this interior, and from what star system did they come from? Didn't care for the IP layout at all, and don't even get me started on the HVAC/stereo controls. And why, WHY must they keep putting the parking brake next to the passenger side of the center console like my '95 Z28? Hell, I'm surprised they didn't put that stupid hump on the passenger seat floor, too...

Interior materials
- By no means am I expecting interior fit/finish rivaling that of a Bentley, Maybach or Aston Martin, but after seeing GM pull off quite respectable interiors like the CTS and Malibu, I was shocked at how badly they dropped the ball with this one. Cheap, hard, shiny plastic EVERYWHERE (although my '06 is guilty of this too IMO...but to a lesser extent).

(Lack of) practicality - especially concerning the ridiculously meager opening for the otherwise fairly decent trunk. Probably would be able to fill it with a week's worth of groceries without too much trouble, but for loading items for ones hobbies, it'd be a PITA (probably would have a ***** of a time trying to squeeze my 20" AR-15 in there, or even worse, my M1A) if not impossible.

Visibility - Forward visibility was decent if I brought the seat up high enough (but doing that caused me other problems), but sight lines from the sides weren't too great, and rear visibility was a joke, as were the side mirrors. The extra huge A- and B-pillars didn't do me any favors, either. It was a minor improvement over my old Z28, but I far preferred the overall visibility my GT offered.

Entry/Exit - I managed to trash my back fairly good about 5 years ago, and was one of the reasons why I sold my Z28. it was literally a pain to get in and out of; sometimes excruciatingly so. The SS, for me, was similarly difficult for me to enter/exit, mostly because of that **** low roof. Which brings me to my final complaint.

Headroom - I mentioned how I could only get decent forward visibility to bringing up the driver's seat to a level where I can see comfortably past the hood. I also mentioned that while driving through some rough roads that the Camaro otherwise handled with ease, I had a somewhat painful experience. Why? Because in bringing the seat up high enough to comfortably see past the hood, the top of my cranium was literally millimeters away from the headliner. And when I ran into these poorly-patched and pothole-ridden roads, my head smashed into the headliner. Repeatedly. This, combined with the other things I took issue with, was the straw that broke the camel's back and made me say pass....
Old 5/5/10, 08:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Being a Mustang person since becoming aware of their existence WAY back to 1966-67, I would in NO way even contemplate owning a Camaro. It is like asking a Kansas fan to suddenly become a fan of Missouri. It just won't happen. Maybe the younger folks on here don't adhere to the old loyalties, but how could you ask such a question here? The rear tail light treatment on the new Camaro leaves me scratching my head. They go counter to what the shape of the car is trying to do. Just as the 2010-11 rear treatment, it just leaves me scratching my head.
Old 5/5/10, 05:57 PM

camaro? no.

z06? absolutely.