2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Anyone have this problem?

Search this Thread

Old 4/18/05, 06:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well today was supposed to be good as my X-cal came back with the right programs. I got home and installed the program and she cranked right up. Then I put the CNL on and again she cranked right up. So I'm having better luck this time...WRONG!! Shortly there after something starts squealing loudly like a belt is slipping. Well then the weird part, it's intermittent, but spaced a certain amount of time apart like 3-4 seconds. So when you crank the car it idles up and smooths out ,about 15 seconds and then, squeek, pause, squeek, pause ,etc.... The squeek is as long as the pause. The car runs fine and show's no other problems. Yes I put it back stock, but no change. It could've been making the noise before I did anything,as you can hardly here it driving. So has anyone had this happen?

Thanks Mike
Old 4/18/05, 08:28 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry mate! The only squealing coming from my car is from ME when I run it up to redline....

Good luck getting to the bottom of it. Oh. Here is ONE thing you can check and the timing would be right: Do the squeaks happen right when the compressor clutch engages? If so, then you could either have a bad belt, a bad belt tensioner or possibly a overcharged A/C system. The reason it only squeaks for a second or so is that the torque required to turn the thing from a stop is VERY high. As the compressor rpm goes up, the torque applied to the belt goes way down (it seems backwards, no? it all stems from the hp=torque*rpm/5252 equation. Fix hp and solve for torque and see what happens to torque at rpm = 1 (no point in doing it for zero...))
Old 4/19/05, 07:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Yep I thought that at first but I took the belt off and it was none of the above. I took it to the Dealer today and while it was there it quit and did not return. They had gotten as far as the tranny/convertor area which is what it sounded like last night. When they pulled the dust sheild on the tranny it got extremely loud so I would guess a convertor problem, BUT it is gone for now

Thanks Mike
Old 4/19/05, 09:25 PM
GT Member

sound like a bad crank bearing , look for gold copper dust color in oil .or bad oil pump.
Old 4/19/05, 09:39 PM
Bullitt Member

The oil pump is on the front of the block and is gear driven. A bad bearing would do it all the time or at least woudln't be perfectly timed. This is electronic because it is timed, 5 seconds squeal, 6 seconds silence, 5 seconds squeal, 6 second silence.... You could sit there and just count it everytime like clock work and then it was gone... I'll just hope that it was a fluke and is gone now.
Old 4/19/05, 09:44 PM
GT Member

I won't go as far as saying it is a crank (main or rod) bearing just yet. Either of those are more likely to cause a knocking sound, not a squeal.
This isn't the type of "thing" that can be diagnosed from the internet unless someone has had the same problem and could lead you in the right direction. It could be almost anything, probably nothing that you did though. Removing the serpentine belt eliminated several possiblities. Hope your dealer can find it, sounds like they're at least trying. Good luck, keep us posted.