2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

another 2009 mustang rendering...lame

Search this Thread

Old 12/11/06, 05:56 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 97svtgoin05gt
Mark this day on the calendar. I AGREE WITH BC!!

WOO HOO

Just don't make a habit of it, OK?

Old 12/11/06, 06:04 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by rhumb
And a six speed, and better brakes, and 4V heads, and better interior materials and finishes ... basically just contempory technology, materials and equipment at an affordable price is all.

IRS, or the lack thereof, sticks in my craw as much for its iconic value as for the actual performance gains, i.e., the Mustang becoming more of a narrow focus, low-cost muscle car rather than a contempory, broadly capable, high-value pony car.

The lack of an IRS reeks of the reign of the miserly penny-pinching accountants and MBA corporate suits over the reign of the product-excellence engineers in blue jeans, a corporate focus which I feel has landed Ford in its current dismal state. Its the difference between low price and high value, the former, which Ford has been practicing lately -- basically offering less for less rather than offering more for less that defines high value.

Ford's already offering $1,000 year-end rebates on the Stang a mere two years into the new model with no present direct competition, which I see as an open acknowledgement that they don't have a superior product and now must rely on bribes to get people to buy their wares. Far better to invest that money in the design, development and engineering that people actually want to by than squandering it on short term, brand image killing rebates and other similar finacial ploys.

Sure, perhaps I could cut poor Ford a break out of sympathy and blind brand loyalty, but the competition certainly is not and, indeed, is only going to get much tougher than the relatively easy open field the Stang's been able to coast through in the past few years. Better we, the Ford and Stang enthusiasts, hold Fords feet to the fire now, because the ruthless and ever increasing competition and the ever-more-discerning general market certainly will, and has been to Ford's great demise of late. Ford's current miseries is ample evidence that they clearly have NOT been doing things right or well, that they simply must do beter, offer more for less and offer class leading products across the board.

As the saying goes, the opposite of love isn't hate, its indifference. So perhaps worse than all my hectoring on IRS or other things is the day I simply don't care any more.
Originally Posted by rhumb
Ford's problems in this area are hardly unique to the Stang but rather, reflect deep and indemic problems with Ford N.A. in general, which is readily seen in their pitiable economic plight these days.
I hate to belabor the point - but I agree with absolutely all of that. It remains to be seen if Ford can figure all of this out before the next two years are up and the creditors come banging on the door to recoup the $18B loan that Ford just secured by putting its factories up as collateral.

I hope they can, for their sake. This really IS their last chance.
Old 12/11/06, 09:21 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey, I just wanted to point out that somebody on this site totally called the whole squished headlights and grill thing way back in 2004. Well... i dunno if he was actually predicting that's what we'd get at the next restyling, but he at least showed me that the car looked pretty cool like this:

Here's the thread
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=2305
Old 12/11/06, 10:41 PM
FR500 Member

the lower grille is HIDEOUS ohh my god thats th ugliest thing ive ever seen....the car looks too busy its not clean looking at all
Old 12/11/06, 11:44 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by RaGsHoCkEy88
the lower grille is HIDEOUS ohh my god thats th ugliest thing ive ever seen....the car looks too busy its not clean looking at all
+1 on that Fast and Furious reject part! The lower grill on the first rendering could also use some more work, and the car needs hips. Other than that, it doesn't look bad at all.
Old 12/12/06, 06:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

the way it is now looks so much better than the squished nose concepts. just add hips, and give it a motor that can actually compete with the camaro NA, and i might stay mustang.
Old 12/12/06, 08:55 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Safarisun
I agree. It would be darn near impossible to put IRS and the rest of the "modern" parts on a Mustang for under $30,000.
Your forgetting the Mustangs' bread and butter, the V6 model, which retails for hairless then 20K. That's why the car is "comprised" in different ways. Its not all about the GT. I'm sure if Ford could sell nothing but GT's starting at 25K or so, we would have more niceties on it.
Old 12/12/06, 09:01 AM
Cobra Member

Not bad - but I'm hoping for more change than just the front bumper fascia, grille and headlight buckets....do like the idea of projector beams but don care for the grille opening and the "tab" where the license plate would go. My fav to date is the Italian rendition....there's a change that looks modern and has the retro Mustang cues all in a nice balanced package.....doubt Ford will be that "bold" with the new design though....probably more of a "refresh" than anything new.
Old 12/12/06, 11:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

That italian one looks nothing like a mustang, and is butt ugly imo. It looks like a g35 but uglier. Keep it the way it is, add hips and a big motor!
Old 12/12/06, 02:02 PM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Nice

Similar to the R&T photoshop.

I'd like this back end:

With this front end:

Old 12/12/06, 06:24 PM
Cobra R Member

^^I second that! That tail is sweeet. Overall I like the Giugiaro, but not so much those tail lights, the ones in that sketch up above are right on though. I never liked the current taillights, that was the one aspect where I preferred the S95 to the S197. The current ones are too big and chunky.

The R&T cover is pretty decent, again pretty much what i'm expecting in terms of smooshing of lights and grill. The lower opening and the turn signal in the bumper are not so great though. And yeah, hips are a must. So i totally agree, put the front end of that R&T cover together with the tail in that sketch and I might even buy one of these even without a hybrid drive train.

Oh, and as a biker who is constantly being side-swiped by motorists who may or may not be using their turning signals, some stylish but subtle side indicators would be pretty cool, maybe worked into the GT fender emblem or something.
Old 12/12/06, 06:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by mustang_sallad

Oh, and as a biker who is constantly being side-swiped by motorists who may or may not be using their turning signals, some stylish but subtle side indicators would be pretty cool, maybe worked into the GT fender emblem or something.

well if you werent going up the center lane in between 2 cars, that wouldnt happen lol jk. serioursly tho, i cannot stand the way these people drive their ricer bikes, maybe its just because i do a lot of driving in nyc. i am so sick of them cutting in and out of traffic, etc... it doesnt suprise me at all during the summer how many you see splatted on the road.
Old 12/12/06, 10:15 PM
FR500 Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, I think he (mustang sallad) means he rides a bicycle - not motorcycle. But yeah, know where that's coming from about motorcycle riders cutting in and out of traffic - can also apply to bicycle riders pulling off jacka$$ moves in urban traffic as well.
Old 12/17/06, 12:26 PM
Cobra R Member

ya fo sho... Some cyclists are ridiculous. I'm not perfect myself, I will burn a red light once i'm sure there's nothing around, but i've seen guys who just go straight through a red light -- while cars are passing through the intersection!! Them retards give us all a bad name, i tell ya!
But yah, i like cars that make it obvious when a cars about to turn right into me.... like the mazda3
Old 12/18/06, 07:41 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by official_style
new camaro looks WAY better, and so far is where my $$ is going!
Old 12/18/06, 08:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

trust me, youll be wanting a bigger engine after you drive that 07 for a while.
Old 12/19/06, 04:40 AM
Closet American

Originally Posted by official_style
trust me, youll be wanting a bigger engine after you drive that 07 for a while.
Yep, once that 6.2L, 400 HP LS3 Camaro hits the road, the streets will be littered with the carcasses of immolated S197s.

Then there's the supercharged 6.2L. Not much is known about the engine other than there will be a positive displacement blower sitting on top of the LS3. There are rumored to be three variants, two intercooled versions called LS8 and LS9 and an as-yet unnamed version w/o the intercooler. One of the early applications of the 650hp LS9 is believed to be the upcoming Corvette "Z07" $100,000 supercar.