The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2005-2009 Mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f637/)
-   -   ABS / TC / Check Charging System - V6 (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f637/abs-tc-check-charging-system-v6-544957/)

Wolf Mxbee 12/22/17 06:50 PM

ABS / TC / Check Charging System - V6

So about a week ago I had a problem and this is my post from Stangnet “Need help!! Okay so I drove today and first time it happened but I was driving and I went to go punch it to about 50 and all of a sudden ABS light came on and started blinking then turned solid, then got a message on my message center telling me to “check trac Control” and then I was like huh but I didn’t let off the gas and all of a sudden all my interior lights turned off, gauges went to zero, radio turned off and all my “info, passenger airbag” lights above the radio turned off except the trac Control, the trac Control “off” came on and it’s like everything rebooted and then the gauges came back as well as all the lights like 5 to 10 seconds later after turning off, but I will note that the engine, steering, everything still worked and even my outside lights but my hazards wouldn’t turn on as well as my signals during the temporary black out, I even tried it in manual shifting (automatic) and as soon as I got to “2” it came up again and every time I get into that gear even in auto, I ask this because I have searched and came across a wiring diagram for ground 101 but there is no actual ground on my car behind the headlight, can anyone please message me on here or instagram @wolfmxbee and send me pics of the ground itself along with where it goes to whether it be a wiring harness or a connector of any sorts and to how I can fix this problem whether it be a ground or a relay and to what type of relay to replace or fuse“ about a few days ago I got a new optima battery and it helped the ABS and TC problem as well as installed one of my old brake pads for the driver front back side pad because the little metal clip had broken off of the pad, I haven’t ran into the ABS / TC error for about two days after new battery and brake pad, came back on today-not constant on, it’ll be explanined here: when I floored it, switching gears, the TC and ABS light/message come on for a second, and makes my battery gauge go all the way to the “H” but as soon as I let off the gas it’ll go off as if it’s normal and only comes back on on full throttle, and it cuts off all interior lights, radio and gauges, all power from interior, won’t even let me use the inside hazards, and use my blinker during this problem and only does this if I continue to floor it while ignoring the ABS check trac Control light and message, then it’ll turn everything back on and reset a few seconds after I let off the gas

Wolf Mxbee 12/22/17 07:35 PM

Also can anyone send pics of all possible ground locations? And as to which On is ground 101

Lime GT 12/22/17 11:38 PM

I don't think the ground is a problem since it seem to be involved with the ABS only. You have more things going on. I'd suspect the Smart Junction Box. It is common to have water damage to this unit. Check your passenger side floor for water or dampness. I'd remove the passenger side kick panel and check the SJB for water damage/stains. 05's had bad grommet seals that the wiper cowling cover snapped into. There was a tsb for it. The seals might/would allow water to pass through into the pass cabin area.

https://latemodel.cachefly.net/downl...sb08-26-07.pdf

07 Boss 12/27/17 10:21 AM

Try changing your alternator. Swap it out with a 2010 one if you can.

Wolf Mxbee 12/28/17 12:00 AM

I’d checked under there, only minor to no wetness, even pulled the plugs and no signs of corrosion or deterioration, the light hasn’t came on anymore so don’t know what is happening to my car lol, maybe new battery did the trick but what would a 2010 alternator perform vs. a 2005-2009, not attacking or anything but am very interested because I would like to swap as much of 2010 parts on my 05 as I could

07 Boss 12/28/17 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Wolf Mxbee (Post 7023585)
I’d checked under there, only minor to no wetness, even pulled the plugs and no signs of corrosion or deterioration, the light hasn’t came on anymore so don’t know what is happening to my car lol, maybe new battery did the trick but what would a 2010 alternator perform vs. a 2005-2009, not attacking or anything but am very interested because I would like to swap as much of 2010 parts on my 05 as I could

Not sure on the v6 but on the GT's they were an outdated single phase unit. You can't get any new ones, only rebuilt. The 2010 unit is a 3 phase unit. When my other 4 alternators went out all of the dash warning lights would act up like you described. New battery may mask or fix the issue temporarily but it may rear it's ugly head again in the near future. It has been my experience that many of these failed alternators will test good on voltage but the diode's go out and you have to run a specific test to discover it. And it may be intermittent and hard to track down sometimes.

Wolf Mxbee 12/28/17 04:19 PM

Alright thanks, I’m hoping to replace the fuel pressure sensor soon, already purchased and on its way soon but hoping to purchase a new EGR Valve soon then work my way towards a rebuilt 10’ alternator, I was originally going to go with a promaster alternator but too pricey, when I use to own my 74’ maverick, I was going to do a 2v I believe to a 4v alternator conversion, if I remember the 4.0 is a 3v no and the newer alternators are a 4v alternator correct? Or am I mistaken, it’s been a while since I did research on the newer gen mustang alternators

stupidgenius36 12/29/17 11:41 PM

Definitely sounds like your alternator. I've had that issue right before one of mine died. When I would floor it, the voltage would spike at a specific RPM. The spike would cause all of those symptoms that you described.

Depending on how hard you wanna dig, I *think* I had a thread about it when I had this going on. I don't remember the RPM or spike voltage (not that the specifics matter), but it'll probably all be in that thread.

Wolf Mxbee 12/30/17 02:22 AM

Sweet thanks I’ll check it out and wow I like these forums better then stangnet, no one is much active on those forums mostly because apparently there’s not that many s197 owners anymore to support the s197 forums
Update : I read your thread and yea it’s the same problem I had, hasn’t came up anymore but like “07boss” (forgive me but I forgot who mentioned it, will edit soon again) mentioned, a new battery will only mask the problem so I’m hoping if I replace the alternator then all will be well again like your problem, cause I mean all my grounds are good, I haven’t and couldn’t find the engine to chassis ground but it’s understandable if the car is at 137k for the alternator to be finally going out (out of my knowledge of owning it for 2 months lol) btw sorry to mention but this is getting on my nerves, I’m trying to read post or threads and all of a sudden I keep getting rerouted to a “Amazon prize” page saying I won some prize, I’m on the Mobile site on iPhone and it only happens here :/ does this happen to anyone else