The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2005-2009 Mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f637/)
-   -   about to buy a 2007 convertible (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f637/about-buy-2007-convertible-534055/)

killaz05 11/21/14 07:27 AM

about to buy a 2007 convertible

I was looking online but needed a rather quick answer. I am looking at picking up a mustang for my S.O. and found a 2007 Mustang GT Premium Convertible. It looks and sounds good. Has 106k miles and they are asking $12,900 for it. I think that is a bit high for the miles but I have to remember it is a premium version. My main question is that I noticed the rear window is plastic and not glass, I thought the rear window was suppose to be glass and asked the dealer if the top was replaced. They said no it was not. So what is it suppose to be, glass or plastic?

VGMStudios 11/21/14 11:59 AM

Of all the search results I found they were all glass.
Gotaa VIN#? Maybe that will tell you more about the car?

killaz05 11/21/14 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by VGMStudios (Post 6871247)
Of all the search results I found they were all glass.
Gotaa VIN#? Maybe that will tell you more about the car?

I looked up the carfax and it is clean. Just the plastic for a rear window has me concerned.

NC14GT 11/22/14 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by killaz05 (Post 6871318)
I looked up the carfax and it is clean. Just the plastic for a rear window has me concerned.

..and it should. Plastic rear windows went out years ago. That's a cheap replacement top. That asking price is insane for a 100,000 miles car. Keep looking.

yugoboss 11/22/14 10:05 PM

Glass in my 2009

Flagstang 11/22/14 10:19 PM

that's way to much money for that car

killaz05 11/23/14 11:21 AM

hmm it seems that everyone agrees it is too much for that car. I shall keep looking. Thanks for the input guys

poldrv 11/23/14 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by killaz05 (Post 6871863)
hmm it seems that everyone agrees it is too much for that car. I shall keep looking. Thanks for the input guys

Just bought one a 2007 GT hardtop last Friday, $14500.00, 91000 km or 56000 miles in Canada. Seems to be the average price for the 2007 GT in Canuckland.:dunno:

killaz05 11/24/14 11:13 AM

Well I think what has me most worried about this potential purchase is the convertible top. I went to test drive it after it rained that night and saw some water underneath the plastic rear window. I was certain that they cam factory from Ford with an actual glass window and then I also noticed the rear defrost button on the center stack which tells me that it is definitely not factory. I am going to see if the dealer will either replace the roof or at least go half. The car itself looks great and the interior is in good condition. The V8 pulls strong and there are no leaks or noises that are cause for concern.

mrkabc 11/30/14 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by killaz05 (Post 6872099)
Well I think what has me most worried about this potential purchase is the convertible top. I went to test drive it after it rained that night and saw some water underneath the plastic rear window. I was certain that they cam factory from Ford with an actual glass window and then I also noticed the rear defrost button on the center stack which tells me that it is definitely not factory. I am going to see if the dealer will either replace the roof or at least go half. The car itself looks great and the interior is in good condition. The V8 pulls strong and there are no leaks or noises that are cause for concern.

Convertible owner since 2002 here. Ford hasn't made a plastic convertible rear window since 1993. I agree with NC07GTCS that you are dealing with an aftermarket cheapo top that a prior owner installed.

Think about it - a new top is $2000, do you want to incur that expense if/when something goes wrong with it? Also, what *else* did the prior owner cheap out on?

Strike 2:

I thought the rear window was suppose to be glass and asked the dealer if the top was replaced. They said no it was not.

The dealer is lying. They have to know what is OEM Ford and what isn't. Don't buy a car from a dealer that lies to you.

I'd steer clear (no pun intended) of that deal and keep looking.

Gigantor 12/2/14 09:51 PM

Anthony, I have to agree with mrkabc. Don't trust a dealer that feeds you bull $hit. I have an 06 GT Premium Vert with a glass rear window. I paid 13k for it in Mar 2013 with 82k miles. This car was in mint condition minus the usual cascading waterfall that's common with these cars. 13K was below book value and I got him there because of the leak which I already knew what the cause was. The drains in the fire wall were clogged and the grommets that hold the cowl on needed to be siliconed water tight. No more leak.

I'd keep shopping till I found the right car because a dealer that's not straight with you won't be there for you after the sale.

Good luck,
Alex

mrkabc 12/10/14 12:35 AM

Nice hood Gigantor! :nice:

So OP what was your final decision? :popcorn:

TripleBlack14 12/10/14 06:22 AM

A friend recently bought a 2007 GT/CS convertible that had just 2400 documented miles. The car was every bit as clean as my 2014 GT 'vert. He paid $24K. Every Mustang owner who's seen this car agrees that it probably was a bit on the high side, but still worth it.

killaz05 12/17/14 06:34 AM

Sorry I haven't back on here but I told the dealer I would make a deal if he put an OEM top on it and of course he said he couldn't do that. I wasn't too worried because after talking with the salesperson I wasn't interested anymore. It is a shame too because the car sounded beautiful and could have been something really really nice.

MadGT 12/17/14 07:17 AM

Let us know what you end up with.

friedmaster 12/17/14 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by killaz05 (Post 6879108)
Sorry I haven't back on here but I told the dealer I would make a deal if he put an OEM top on it and of course he said he couldn't do that. I wasn't too worried because after talking with the salesperson I wasn't interested anymore. It is a shame too because the car sounded beautiful and could have been something really really nice.

Honestly, I'll echo some of the posts in this thread, and say that you should be glad they didn't agree to do that.

That price, for one with 106k miles, was way, way out of line. Sure, everything is negotiable, but I don't think it's a good idea to start at $14k, offer $9k, have them come back at $11.5k, you say yes, feel like you've gotten a great deal to find out that car was really only worth $9k.

Second, knowing that the top was replaced (or, at least the rear window was), you have to ask yourself why. What else happened in that "incident" that I need to worry about?

Third, knowing that they didn't even replace it with proper parts, would make me wonder how else the car had been poorly maintained.

Fourth, if the dealer is lying to you about something as obvious as the top, what gremlins lie beneath for the new buyer to find after he or she has made a deal?