The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2005-2009 Mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f637/)
-   -   2005 mustang gt engine swap 2008 bullitt (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f637/2005-mustang-gt-engine-swap-2008-bullitt-542091/)

Dryheaves 7/17/16 04:03 PM

2005 mustang gt engine swap 2008 bullitt

Hi there, im looking at doing a engine swap as my 2005 engine needs to be rebuilt. I found a 08 bullitt engine for sale so my question is there any issues regarding the computer or wiring harness? The 08 engine doesnt come with valve covers, tb, intake or oil pan. I believe the valve covers are different on the 05 than the 08 but i think thats it. Thanks for any input before i buy it.

Dryheaves 7/17/16 07:15 PM

Surprised there no replies yet....

houtex 7/17/16 11:22 PM

Well, first, don't post in two places. Splits the attention.

Second, it's only been 3 hours between your posts. It's the weekend. People are busy.

Third, not everyone who might have seen this has the answer.

So overall, patience, sir/madam... a day or two isn't uncommon for such as this.

---

You are right. The engines aren't the same. Mainly the heads. The '05-early 07s used a two piece spark plug. They changed this in late '07 and on for the 4.6L to a one piece, and that needed the heads internally to change to make that work.

However, all of the engines use the same valve cover from '05-10, so they should bolt right on. Proof: http://www.americanmuscle.com/mustang-valve-covers.html

The connectors for the coil packs are the same. Wiring therefore should be the same. However, the coil packs will be different between the '05 and the '08. Use the '08s or get new ones for the '08 engine.

Otherwise, should be a bolt up and go thing... if it were carbureted, it would be. But the computer might not like the not-05 engine in some way. I would be cautious about doing this, to be honest. These computers are finicky. I mean, can't even put a cold air intake on 'em sometimes without a new tune...

Dryheaves 7/18/16 08:12 AM

True enough houtex, sorry to jump the gun on the replies. My buddy has a 2007 mustang gt and his valve covers have more or less bolts, cant recall but i think there are less. Thank you for the link and will check it out.

07 Boss 7/18/16 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Dryheaves (Post 6989917)
True enough houtex, sorry to jump the gun on the replies. My buddy has a 2007 mustang gt and his valve covers have more or less bolts, cant recall but i think there are less. Thank you for the link and will check it out.

Yeah they have less bolts but they top of the heads are the same so they just bolt up. you'll have a couple of empty holes but it won't matter. Other than the coil packs maybe having a different electrical connector there should be no issues.

Dryheaves 7/18/16 04:22 PM

Thanks 07 boss about clearing the valve cover issue. I talked to ford today and they said that the pcm would be different and some of the connectors on the wiring harness but they didnt actually say forsure just because its a bullitt.

07 Boss 7/18/16 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Dryheaves (Post 6989985)
Thanks 07 boss about clearing the valve cover issue. I talked to ford today and they said that the pcm would be different and some of the connectors on the wiring harness but they didnt actually say forsure just because its a bullitt.

I know Ford changed the computers in 07 but I don;t see why it would not work with the motor. I mean they changed the language or programming but it shouldn't effect the external operation of the motor.. The only concern would be that the pin outs would be different. Shouldn't be that hard or much to find an 07-10 computer though if you really needed to.

Dryheaves 7/18/16 05:09 PM

The thing with the bullitt engine is the intake is calibrated different is why it gives you an extra 15 horsepower so thats my main concern with my 05 computer.

ford4v429 7/18/16 09:25 PM

coolant hoses were changed between 06-09, i know mine are different...dunno when the change came- might be water pump rotation/accessory drive differences, seemed to me something was in a different spot besides the hoses...but maybe it was a 09 thing.

intakes changed i think in 07 and for sure/again in 09- unsure what, but remember different parts listed on newtakeoff.com when i bought spares for our cars(hope will never need them, but they were cheep)

curious as to why the covers/oil pan woulda been gone- maybe crash damaged? if thats a possible reason, best look really close for damaged areas...aluminum heads/blocks arent that massive around oilpan rail/head edges that they couldnt be cracked if something hit it...look real close/good light for cracks around exhaust port bolts, oil pan bolt holes, valvecover bolt holes, bellhousing blt/pin holes... check the crank pulley/balancer too, they get hit in front impacts, can damage crank/bearings...look for any areas that can easily get cracked in a wreck that stuffs the engine/exhaust/tranny around...

bullitts i think were all sticks might need to pull the clutch pilot bearing out/swap flywheels if you have a auto.

good luck!

Dryheaves 7/18/16 10:43 PM

Ya im not sure why those parts arent included with the engine. I was told that the car was parked in underground garage and there was a fire in the building, it had heat damage to the roof so icbc wrote it off. Apparently the car runs and drives fine with 50,000 kms on the engine.

Dryheaves 7/19/16 08:28 PM

So i found out the cop first 4# on the 05 is 3L3Z and the 08 is 8L3Z. Im guessing i need a wiring harness?

Dryheaves 9/19/16 10:33 PM

Ok so the engine has been installed and all is well. The only thing i had to do was transfer my old intake and throttle body to the new engine. Valve covers fit fine and wiring harness fit aswell.

m05fastbackGT 9/20/16 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by ford4v429 (Post 6990029)
coolant hoses were changed between 06-09, i know mine are different...dunno when the change came- might be water pump rotation/accessory drive differences, seemed to me something was in a different spot besides the hoses...but maybe it was a 09 thing.

intakes changed i think in 07 and for sure/again in 09- unsure what, but remember different parts listed on newtakeoff.com when i bought spares for our cars(hope will never need them, but they were cheep)

curious as to why the covers/oil pan woulda been gone- maybe crash damaged? if thats a possible reason, best look really close for damaged areas...aluminum heads/blocks arent that massive around oilpan rail/head edges that they couldnt be cracked if something hit it...look real close/good light for cracks around exhaust port bolts, oil pan bolt holes, valvecover bolt holes, bellhousing blt/pin holes... check the crank pulley/balancer too, they get hit in front impacts, can damage crank/bearings...look for any areas that can easily get cracked in a wreck that stuffs the engine/exhaust/tranny around...

bullitts i think were all sticks might need to pull the clutch pilot bearing out/swap flywheels if you have a auto.

good luck!

Coolant hoses weren't changed until 07.. The coolant hoses in my 06 GT are routed the very same way as my previous 05 GT.. The power steering reservoir is also mounted in the same location as well in front of the radiator cover..

07 Boss 9/20/16 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Dryheaves (Post 6996560)
Ok so the engine has been installed and all is well. The only thing i had to do was transfer my old intake and throttle body to the new engine. Valve covers fit fine and wiring harness fit aswell.

Nice to hear. Have we started her up yet?

Dryheaves 9/20/16 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by 07 Boss (Post 6996617)
Nice to hear. Have we started her up yet?

we have and it runs great but i threw a code and just investigating the issue.

Dryheaves 9/20/16 10:10 PM

Ok so im throwing a p0196 code due to not having a oil level sensor on the oil pan. My old engine has a sensor input on the pan but the new one doesnt??? Why doesnt the bullitt have an outlet?

tbear853 9/21/16 09:36 PM

Wow ..... good swap!