The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2005-2009 Mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f637/)
-   -   2 questions Vert owners (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f637/2-questions-vert-owners-449191/)

cloewe 3/18/07 11:15 PM

2 questions Vert owners

Everyone first post

I have a couple of questions for the convertible owners out there. Does anyone know of a lock that can be retrofitted to the center console? This is first convertible I've owned not to have this feature and it comes in handy. I have started searching and keeping my eye out for a lock that would work.
Question 2 --Is there a upgrade so the intrusion alarm will function if the top is down? i went to local dealer and stereo install place and found no joy. I know there has got to be a retrofit on the alarm out there somewhere. Maybe have to look into the code in the alarm system.
Love the car though I must say having every kid in a hole punched mufflered honda want to race is annoying at times.

Thanks everyone

2k5GTC 3/19/07 08:22 AM

Welcome!

I too have wondered about the console lacking a lock. Seems odd Ford would make the glove box lockable but leave the center console open to prying eyes. :screwy: In answer to your questions... no on both counts. My question to you is... why would you want to have the motion sensor active with the top down? That is just asking for tons of false alarms. ???

davisinla 3/19/07 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by 2k5GTC (Post 869214)
... why would you want to have the motion sensor active with the top down? That is just asking for tons of false alarms. ???

The manual suggests not even having the windows down on the coupe if you're going to use the motion alarm. (I speak from personal experience that it is a good suggestion.)

The number of little conveniences left off of the Mustang surprises me. My '03 Miata has a power antenna, locking console compartment and interior trunk release. I think these are things that almost EVERYONE would appreciate at one time or another and they wouldn't have cost another $10 in the quantities Ford would use. I don't get it.

mikes rx 3/19/07 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by cloewe (Post 869121)
Everyone first post

I have a couple of questions for the convertible owners out there. Does anyone know of a lock that can be retrofitted to the center console? This is first convertible I've owned not to have this feature and it comes in handy. I have started searching and keeping my eye out for a lock that would work.
Question 2 --Is there a upgrade so the intrusion alarm will function if the top is down? i went to local dealer and stereo install place and found no joy. I know there has got to be a retrofit on the alarm out there somewhere. Maybe have to look into the code in the alarm system.
Love the car though I must say having every kid in a hole punched mufflered honda want to race is annoying at times.

Thanks everyone

:welcome:

Question 1: The glove box has a lock. It would be hard to reach in to the console. So, if you set the alarm (I assume you have the active anti-theft), if someone opens the doors, the alarm WILL go off.

Or, you could just keep the stuff in the glovebox (there really isn't any more room in one or the other), or in the trunk (since there is no interior trunk release)

Question 2: I haven't heard of there being a way to bypass it. You could always just put the windows up, as that would prevent someone from reaching in.

rdw401 3/19/07 01:40 PM

There is a mention somewhere in these forums of a motion alarm that someone has on a convertible, but I cannot find it at this time.

Robbieg 3/19/07 03:50 PM

Welcome!
Question 1: I have not seen any locking mechanisms to retrofit to the console.

Question 2: I have searched high and low for add on modules for the factory alarm and have come up empty handed, I would like a shock sensor and I cant believe it isn't part of the factory alarm but I haven't been able to find anything other than a whole new alarm system.

Kenichi Mifune 3/19/07 08:58 PM

1. Finding the right hardware can be difficult.
Installation would probably involve some custom fabricating.
But anything is possible.

2. There must be a way to bypass the component that turns the motion
sensors off when the top is down. It could be something as simple
as a switch (there is one visible when the top is down).
I suggest finding an alarm schematic for the vert.

Do the motion sensors work with the top only partially up?
If they do, maybe just raise the top a few inches.

Good luck.