2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

06 gt rant

Search this Thread

Old 1/3/08, 10:29 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Vermillion06
All the Fords in I've ever owned and the ones my family has owned have been very well built and reliable, and have never left me stranded, from my dad's '60 F100 to our latest, the '06 GT.

They're not hand carved by old world craftsmen in the black forest from a single block of steel, but then again, they don't cost that much either.
I think every single Ford we've owned has left us stranded at one time or another, except for the newer 2000-up Fords. In each instance, the OE factory battery died right when the factory warranty expired.

The paint quality has been spotty through the years. The 2003 E-250's hood paint started delaminating and it took a lot of fighting to have it repainted for free under warranty.

The Mustang will probably be the last Ford branded car I buy. Ford offers rather affordable RWD/V8 vehicles which is why I went back in the first place. My other domestic alternatives are GM rental cars, and Chrysler garbage. Of course, there's the Corvette... which is looking more and more attractive each day.

I gave Ford one last chance with the 07 GT and they disappointed me.. "They broke my heart..."
1). A gas tank that spits out gas as I am trying to fill an empty tank.
2). Dash that rattles worse than my 1981 T-bird.
3). Driver's door that doesn't want to close properly.
4). Typical Ford decontenting: lack of a glove box light, lack of courtesy/foot-well lights, lack of a trunk release button.

I will say that Ford has improved by leaps and bounds throughout the decades.

I can't get any discounts with VW cars (that includes Audi and Porsche) unless I or someone in my family works directly in VW AG. The same seems to apply to Honda. I can get discounts through Subaru and GM, but nothing they make excites me other than the Chevy Corvette.
Old 1/3/08, 02:53 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Someone's car was built on Friday at 4:50pm...
Old 1/3/08, 03:01 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Typical Ford decontenting: lack of a glove box light, lack of courtesy/foot-well lights, lack of a trunk release button. Don't need any of that. On the last design you couldn't use the key fob when the car was running now you can. As for the lighting they have it in ambient lighting. I haven't had any problems with the 06 and only a couple of things under warranty on 4 mustangs I have owned. The edge is a great vehicle so is the fusion/tauras. So much so that consumer reports is suggesting you buy it. They are the safest cars available and talking about paint on other vehicles to include the electrical problem riddled V-dubs. Anyway point is go to a honda/toyota dealer and guess won't you find. Broken cars. They are very cheaply made and have plenty of recalls that aren't widely published. Needless to say the grass isn't always greener on the other side. The next car in my driveway will be gt500, my fifth mustang in 8 years.
Old 1/3/08, 03:22 PM
Team Mustang Source

Cool

Originally Posted by GhostTX
Someone's car was built on Friday at 4:50pm...
Nope, just built on a Friday or Monday, or, during the time all of the temporary workers were training on jobs!! Only repair works at that time dayshift has gone home before that and nights hasn't started yet. My '07 GT was a 1st week production '07, its in the shop rt now for a front-end clunk/rattle, the only other time it was back at a dealer was the rear-end whine.
Old 1/3/08, 04:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
I guess I did expect to have a few problems before I decided to buy. The main things that bug me are the strut the leaking brk fluid and the dash board rattles. These were known problems in 05 and ford didn't fix them for the 06 and some 07's.
The fuel pump was a real drag. It had to be hauled out from work on a flat bed. The front of the building is all glass. The office guys had a field day with that one. LOL I know some of these things are isolated issues but really shouldn't be happening. imo
I drove ford trucks for 20 yrs or so and they always treated me pretty well.
Old 1/3/08, 04:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
forgot to mention the ebrake deal. When I park on a hill I want to use my ebrake so I don't put any strain on my parking pin. In any weather. Another known problem not addressed by ford untill who knows when.
These problems would not stop me from buying another mustang. Call me crazy ...... or not lol
Old 1/3/08, 05:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Typical Ford decontenting: lack of a glove box light, lack of courtesy/foot-well lights, lack of a trunk release button. Don't need any of that.
Says you. While ambient lighting is an OPTION for 2008, 2005-2007 decontented a lot of stuff that would have made a Mustang more "furnished" like its foreign competitors. I am not talking about expensive options or features like dynamic stability control, magnetic ride suspension, or bioluminescent instrument panel lighting. I'm talking about simple nickel and dime stuff that Ford chose to decontent over the years:

1). Torque converter drain plug on 4R70Ws
2). Glove box light for Mustang GT (courtesy)
3). Footwell lighting for Mustang GT (courtesy)
4). Trunk release button inside the Mustang GT

On the last design you couldn't use the key fob when the car was running now you can.
That is standard on almost all of the older Ford driver door modules. I just installed a Ford branded Powercode/Codealarm RKE for the 2000 Crown Vic and it does the same thing. This is to prevent any accidental RKE functions from occuring while you are driving... like having the trunk pop open at 80 mph, or accidentally hitting the panic alarm button while driving.

As for the lighting they have it in ambient lighting.
Yes, a $300 option for chintzy color changing LEDs. Ford seems to have no qualms about installing gawdy useless junk like MyColor and lit door sill covers, but seems to be allergic to installing USEFUL items like footwell lights, glovebox lights, and an interior trunk release that almost every domestic and foreign car has standard. Ford also forces you to buy the IUP/MyColor to get the trip computer (which almost every other car has standard, even GM and Ford's rental cars have trip computers) and message center. No IUP? You get a 1980s retro odometer reset that toggles between TRIP odometer and regular odometer (no, you don't even get to see both at the same time like the really really old mechanical speedometers). Typical Ford designed rubbish.

The edge is a great vehicle so is the fusion/tauras. So much so that consumer reports is suggesting you buy it. They are the safest cars available and talking about paint on other vehicles to include the electrical problem riddled V-dubs.
The Fusion has the worst powertrain combination available: manual w/ FWD I4 only, automatic w/ AWD V6. There's no manual w/ AWD 260+ hp V6 available. The 2009 Fusion will get the 260+ hp V6 w/ the AWD and an automatic, but there's no dynamic stability control (which Volvo and Mazda already have on similar platform cars).

The Edge is an overvalued crossover SUV like the Chrysler Pacifier.

The Taurus is nothing more than a rebadged 500. The 260+ hp V6 is a nice touch but Ford was a day late and a dollar short. Almost every Foreign competitor already has a 260+ hp V6 since 5-7 years ago. The new Nissan Maximas and Altimas are pushing nearly 300 hp out of a n/a V6 with something called direct injection, which Ford has yet to utilize in North America. The so-called "new octane sensor" used on the 2008 Bullitt has been used by foreign cars before the turn of this century.

This new SYNC garbage is just plain boring. Rather than make an interesting car, they chose to implement another glitzy useless toy.

Anyway point is go to a honda/toyota dealer and guess won't you find. Broken cars. They are very cheaply made and have plenty of recalls that aren't widely published.
Oh, so is that anything like a secret recall? Perhaps NHTSA would like to know about these??? Remember the plastic intake manifold fiasco that took a class action lawsuit for Ford to settle? And the settlement STILL isolated several model years. That situation cost Ford quite a bit of customers...
Toyota hasn't made any interesting cars since the MR2, MR2 Spyder and the Supra. Honda's Civic Si is rather appealing to me: 197 hp, FWD w/ limited slip, dynamic stability control, ABS w/ EBD, but no Xenon HIDs! They even have power sunroofs that Ford rarely offers on RWD/V8 cars from the factory.

Needless to say the grass isn't always greener on the other side. The next car in my driveway will be gt500, my fifth mustang in 8 years.
No, the grass isn't always greener on the other side and I never said it was. Ford just isn't known for quality no matter how many times Billy or Jacques or Alan claim that Quality is Job #1. Ford started off by making affordable mass production cars for the masses.

I learned a great deal about repairing and modifying cars by owning Fords mainly because I spent quite some time under the hood out of sheer necessity. The newer Fords are significantly better, but the build quality isn't as good. Did you know that the "best" Crown Victorias were made in the 1995-1997 model year? The quality began to worsen and worsen as the years went by, not to mention the decontenting that took place.

The Japanese seem to subscribe to the idea of steady continuous improvement. Mazda makes subtle but noticeable changes each model year (and yes, Mazda is part of the Ford family). Ford UK has been using the CD1 chassis for the Focus for the past 3 years (aka Mk2 chassis). Ford US is still using some half-a$$ed regurgitated Mk 1 Focus chassis under fugly new sheet metal for the 2008 MY. GM's entire strategy involves releasing a car model and offering more after each model year, enticing new buyers or old buyers to upgrade. The C6 Vette has steadily gained more horsepower, while the Saturn Sky and Pontiac Solstice have had improvements over the years. Ford, OTOH, likes to release something and let it stagnate for a few years before releasing something "new".

Again, this is all coming from someone whose family has bought nothing but Fords for the past 30+ years. I bought the Stang because it was a 300 hp sports car for under $30k that still runs fine on 87 pump gas. I wish Ford didn't make the interior the same as a stripped down taxi cab or cargo van in terms of features. It's the little things that people notice, and these things would have helped complete an otherwise great package deal. I tell everyone about the problems in my Mustang if they ask about the car, so I don't sugar coat anything.

As for Honda/Toyota/BMW... everyone I know personally that owns these cars have said they really liked their cars and have not had any issues. I recall the Toyota sludge problem, but I haven't heard anything further from people that own Toyotas. They seem genuinely satisfied with their purchases. I know people with over 300k miles on their Civics / Camrys / Corollas and have bought their 2nd or 3rd car for the family. They sort of laught when I tell them my Mustang with less than 10k miles will spill gasoline all over the side of the car and onto my shoes when I try to fill an EMPTY fuel tank.

Don't get me wrong, I still like the Mustang. Hearing the V8 engine startup is just beautiful music to my ears, and the fact I can get a manual transmission all in a sub-$30k car is just amazing today. Everyone seems to get caught up with puny engines that are missing 2-4 cylinders equipped with CVTs, e-gear/manumatic/semi-automatic/automatic transmissions. Ford can go a lot farther, IMHO, if they fixed the "small" things or even BOTHERED to listen to their customers.
Old 1/3/08, 06:38 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sounds like a lemon. I've had and still have gas issues. Also the scratched tint deal
Old 1/3/08, 06:46 PM
Team Mustang Source

Ford does subscribe to the continuos improvement idea, but unlike the Japanese, they just get the magazines and throw them in the rubbish!!!
Old 1/3/08, 07:06 PM

Got V-8

I'am coming up on my two year purchase date and I have had no trouble. I have 18,000 miles, completely stock 5 speed manual vista blue premium. I have no trottle lag and it still goes like a bat ... I like my charcoal interior with all the cues of a 67'. One feature that they got right is the power up power down windows, my Jag doesn't even have that!

Oh one more thing my avg. mpg is 21.3
I have been as high as 30.5 mpg with a V-8
when I tell my friends that they say " wow! I could had a V-8"
Old 1/3/08, 07:08 PM

Got V-8

I'm coming up on my two year purchase date and I have had no trouble. I have 18,000 miles, completely stock 5 speed manual vista blue premium. I have no throttle lag and it still goes like a bat ... I like my charcoal interior with all the cues of a 67'. One feature that they got right is the power up power down windows, my Jag doesn't even have that!

Oh one more thing my avg. mpg is 21.3
I have been as high as 30.5 mpg with a V-8
when I tell my friends that they say " wow! I could had a V-8"
Old 1/3/08, 07:19 PM

the camry and accord v6's are at about the same power as the duratec in the taurus
Old 1/3/08, 07:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 128 Likes on 101 Posts
It's the 2nd model year of an entirely new platform and a new assembly plant (Flat Rock versus Dearborn). I expected all the problems I've had. And now to fit in, I'll list them:

-From day 1 an interior panel had to be refitted
-they gouged the panel and it had to be replaced
-they scratched the armrest in doing that so they replaced it
-had to have that panel remounted to i could use the seatbelt they mounted it over
-leaky master cylinder cap that had led do a 3 1/2 week repair
-P.I.T.A. stereo that still gives me crap for not having the right brand of CD
-Leaking master cylinder that had to be replaced
-water leak from cowl panel to interior fuse box that shorted out lights
-paint defects that i never got fixed
-squeaky struts
-squeaky rear brake
-dash rattles
-both plastic handles on the seatbacks broke

How's that? I think thats about it...SO FAR.
Old 1/3/08, 07:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
I hear ya guys..... I've had little issues here & there but overall- it's a Mustang, not a Lexus. As far as the griping about glovebox lights, footwell lights, etc. I can see where some people (me included) could care less about them; to others sure they'd be a bonus but at the end of the day- it's a Mustang.
Old 1/3/08, 07:59 PM
Team Mustang Source

Metroplex: I don't have the will or the time to argue with all the things I disagree with in your last post. What I will say is this: I don't want to hear you whine about not getting a trip computer. I remember clearly when you were in the process of getting your car and you were talking about how you didn't care about the trip computer and other IUP amenities. You had the option of getting them, so don't complain about not having them now.
Old 1/4/08, 08:06 AM
Cobra Member

nuff said, whether you like it or not ford was second in reliability last year with the least amount of warranty claims. As far as footwell lights, what do you use them for, so you can rummage around and find crap on your floorboard while driving, afraid your going to trip getting in? Just don't see the point. Its a lot easier for me to use my key fob, then have to open the glove compartment and push a button for a trunk release. My point about the other manufacturers is you don't hear disclosures about gas tanks blowing up in crv's or FJ cruisers having to have their fenders replaced because they crack and break. The Japanese manufacturers do not have to disclose/choose not to disclose these problems through the media. As to bmw's, my friends 7 series broke a cup holder, wasn't covered by a warranty and was charged 400 dollars to replace it. He has the money but thats rediciulous on a 80k car. Not to mention all the electrical problems (bmw is third from the bottom in number of warranty claims). I was born in germany near the factory and lived there most of my life and I don't drive them. Four/6 cyclinder cars with a giant markup. I won't even start with the other manufacturers. My family has been driving fords for at least thirty years as well. Sorry dude maybe I have had good luck and your free to tell everyone of your problems, but yours is the exception not the rule. Good luck and have a great new year.
Old 1/4/08, 11:20 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by metroplex
Says you. While ambient lighting is an OPTION for 2008, 2005-2007 decontented a lot of stuff that would have made a Mustang more "furnished" like its foreign competitors. I am not talking about expensive options or features like dynamic stability control, magnetic ride suspension, or bioluminescent instrument panel lighting. I'm talking about simple nickel and dime stuff that Ford chose to decontent over the years:

1). Torque converter drain plug on 4R70Ws
2). Glove box light for Mustang GT (courtesy)
3). Footwell lighting for Mustang GT (courtesy)
4). Trunk release button inside the Mustang GT
Im sure a torque convertor drain plug and glove box light are the first thing on most buyers minds when they shop for a car. And why the heck are people so fixated on the interior trunk release button? Is it really that much more inconvenient to push the button on the key fob than to reach over from the driver's seat, open the glove box and push the button there?
Yes, a $300 option for chintzy color changing LEDs. Ford seems to have no qualms about installing gawdy useless junk like MyColor and lit door sill covers, but seems to be allergic to installing USEFUL items like footwell lights, glovebox lights, and an interior trunk release that almost every domestic and foreign car has standard.
If these little features are more important to you than a 300hp V8, RWD, great styling and a great overall package, then why didn't your buy a car with those features in the first place?
Ford also forces you to buy the IUP/MyColor to get the trip computer (which almost every other car has standard, even GM and Ford's rental cars have trip computers) and message center. No IUP? You get a 1980s retro odometer reset that toggles between TRIP odometer and regular odometer (no, you don't even get to see both at the same time like the really really old mechanical speedometers). Typical Ford designed rubbish.
Many manufacturers force you to buy an option package in order to get a certain feature. When I was considering buying a G35, I would have had to order an expensive option package with a bunch of other options I didn't want just to get a cd changer. I couldn't get a cloth interior with cd changer!
Honda's Civic Si is rather appealing to me: 197 hp, FWD w/ limited slip, dynamic stability control, ABS w/ EBD, but no Xenon HIDs! They even have power sunroofs that Ford rarely offers on RWD/V8 cars from the factory.
So now we know what you really want. Sounds like maybe you should have bought the Civic SI instead.
The Japanese seem to subscribe to the idea of steady continuous improvement. Mazda makes subtle but noticeable changes each model year (and yes, Mazda is part of the Ford family).

Ford UK has been using the CD1 chassis for the Focus for the past 3 years (aka Mk2 chassis). Ford US is still using some half-a$$ed regurgitated Mk 1 Focus chassis under fugly new sheet metal for the 2008 MY.
So, when Ford EU takes the Mk1 chassis, makes some improvements, enlarges it a bit and uses the rejected alternate styling scheme from the Mk1 , that's "continuous improvement", but when Ford US makes improvements to the Mk1 chassis and adds new styling, it's "half-a$$ed regurgitated" ???
Again, this is all coming from someone whose family has bought nothing but Fords for the past 30+ years. I bought the Stang because it was a 300 hp sports car for under $30k that still runs fine on 87 pump gas.
Hmm... Maybe those were the wrong reasons for you to buy it, because it seems like a 300hp V8 is not as important to you as glovebox lights, footwell lighting, sunroofs, trunk release buttons, and Xenon lights.
I wish Ford didn't make the interior the same as a stripped down taxi cab or cargo van in terms of features. It's the little things that people notice, and these things would have helped complete an otherwise great package deal.
You purposely did not order the Interior Upgrade Package and then complain about how plain the base interior is,which is purposely no-frills to keep the price affordable? Gee, I wonder they they called that option the Interior Upgrade Package?
I tell everyone about the problems in my Mustang if they ask about the car, so I don't sugar coat anything.
As for Honda/Toyota/BMW... everyone I know personally that owns these cars have said they really liked their cars and have not had any issues. I recall the Toyota sludge problem, but I haven't heard anything further from people that own Toyotas. They seem genuinely satisfied with their purchases. I know people with over 300k miles on their Civics / Camrys / Corollas and have bought their 2nd or 3rd car for the family.
And that's the problem: Honda/Toyota/BMW do sugar coat the problems they have with their cars. I have had many co workers who have had major problems with their imports, such as transaxles going bad or electrical system problems and they say, "Oh, but Hondas/Toyotas/VWs/Whatever are reliable and great cars-- everybody says so, it really wasn't that big of a deal; mine was just bad luck", and then there are people like you, who will angrily declare Fords are crap because they don't have a trunk release button in the glovebox.
They sort of laught when I tell them my Mustang with less than 10k miles will spill gasoline all over the side of the car and onto my shoes when I try to fill an EMPTY fuel tank.
The G35 has the same gas fill problem. I have never had the problem myself on my Mustang, and there are thousand of Mustangs out there that haven't either.
Don't get me wrong, I still like the Mustang. Hearing the V8 engine startup is just beautiful music to my ears, and the fact I can get a manual transmission all in a sub-$30k car is just amazing today. Everyone seems to get caught up with puny engines that are missing 2-4 cylinders equipped with CVTs, e-gear/manumatic/semi-automatic/automatic transmissions. Ford can go a lot farther, IMHO, if they fixed the "small" things or even BOTHERED to listen to their customers.
You do realize that the Mustang is purposely not a high tech, gadget-laden car and that it's built with ease of modification and do-it-yourselfers in mind?
Old 1/4/08, 12:00 PM
Cobra Member

My '06 has been a very good car, regular maintenance and a few water leak repairs since I bought it used in March '07. I know I need to take it in to get the fuel pump replaced, but other than that, everything else is all good.

This car has been much better than my red '05 was. That car had the parking brake sticking problem, popping strut plates, instrument cluster changed twice for an airbag light, gas tank fill issue, fuel pump hesitation, and whining from the rear-end.
Old 1/4/08, 01:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have a very early 2005 (11/2/04 build) with 42k miles and have had 3 problems. Fuel Tank replaced and The strut bushing things replaced under warrantee. My E brake froze up once last year so I don't use it now until I can get it fixed. I did have to replace one of the front side marker bulbs last month too. Cleaned the butterfly area after idle problem once too. Great car though you must have gotten a bad one. Stay on them! make them get it right for you!
Old 1/4/08, 04:10 PM
Team Mustang Source

Mustangs are purposely built non-high tech, they have always been low tech, and should always stay low tech. That's the appeal of the car to me. Low tech, good performance, and good value for the performance. Give me a hot engine, a nice radio, and a great looking car, and that is what sells cars my friends.

I don't want automatic headlights, automatic climate control, back scratcher, foot massager... If I want my headlights on, I can flip a switch myself thank you. If I am cold, I can turn a dial myself.

My mom has a Pacifica with all the goodies on it. It is nice, I will say that. Problem is, when I drive it, I spend more time playing with the "automatic" climate controls, heated seats, and steering wheel mounted cd/dvd/foot massager controls, than I do actually paying attention to where I am going. I get in my Mustang and I just drive it.

Quick Reply: 06 gt rant