2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

06 gt rant

Search this Thread

Old 1/2/08, 09:02 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
06 gt rant

With all the good points with this car there are just to many downers to go along with them. To sad really. Last night my ebrake frooze up and I had to drive about 10 miles with it that way. By the time I got home only one side was still hanging up. It got me thinking about the other crap that is/was wrong with this car since I picked it up in sept. 06.
To sad really seeing how I have had zero problems with my 2k gt and comparing it to my last 5 new cars this one has had more problems than all of them put together.

fuel pump had to be replaced the second day I had the car.
leaking master cylinder
noisy front struts.
loose threads on my seat
One of the pannels in the rear seat area had to be reinstalled.
e brake handle plastic cover broke
The car keeps going into limp mode. A restart makes it go back to normal.
Lately the check engine light has been coming on. The code is for throttle posistion sensor. The light will stay on for a day or two then it goes back off for a few days to a week.
Dash board rattles. Fixed them myself.
Freakin ebrake sticks, When its very cold out.
Every so often when I shut the car off and remove the key the dinger will still ding like the key is still in there.

but other than those things I love the car .....to sad!! I know there are tons of these cars out there with out any problems. Just sad I got this one with these problems. I am sure there are a few things I forgot to mention.

When I get the check engine light and it goes off by itself, is the still code stored in the computer?
Old 1/2/08, 09:08 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can only comment on the emergency brake. If you live in winter conditions the ebrake will freeze up ( has happened on a few Ford vehicles I owned in the past). In winter do not use the emergency brake.
Old 1/2/08, 09:15 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had two problems with my '06: 1 tail light bulb burned out and now the trunk light bulb just burned out. My '98 had just normal wear items replaced (brakes, battery, filters, light bulbs, etc).
Old 1/2/08, 09:32 AM

Never had any problems with my 06. It has only been in for routine oil changes and service and I find it surprising you have so many issues.
Old 1/2/08, 11:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

Oh boy Glenn, not what I needed to be reminded of as I dive straight back in and buy a Bullitt!!

I can deal with the problems. I make myself feel better from time to time by logging onto other manufacturer's websites and seeing that they too have their whole list of problems, so it's not just Ford. I can even deal with the fact that my prior mustangs and fords have NOT had many of these problems, proving that Ford knows how to build cars without them, they just choose not to.

But what I CAN NOT deal with is having to argue with a dealer tooth and nail to get them fixed, and the stupid flatrate compensation system that does nothing but UNmotivate techs to do warranty work
Old 1/2/08, 11:15 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
yep thats one I forgot to add. I had a taillight bulb go out also.
Old 1/2/08, 12:06 PM
Bullitt Member

I've only had it in for a seat rattle, the fuel pump fix and the leaky brake resivior. Not too bad overall. Aside from the seat rattle the other two fixes were less than an hour each.
Old 1/2/08, 01:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 126 Likes on 91 Posts
I have rep[laced one tail light bulb, and will replace another one that is out right now. Easy enough to do yourself. I don't want the dealer giving me any *stuff* about the WebElectric sequential harnesses.

Glenn, I am truly sorry for the laundry list of grief your pony has given you. I really do think you have the exception to the rule there, though. Here's hoping next one you get will run smooth as glass.
Old 1/2/08, 01:51 PM
GT Member

After 17k miles, have only had the ebrake issue. Had it replaced but, like Ray suggests, I don't use the e-brake in the winter any more.
Old 1/2/08, 02:03 PM
Team Mustang Source

3 years old in Feb. never been back for any warentee work.
Old 1/2/08, 09:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

05 GT, had gas tank replaced for gas nozzle-kick off issues the first week. Since then, had battery replaced, driver's lumbar support went bad, and both fog light lenses have crackled all over, even though they've not been hit by anything. Overall, though, that's not that bad. Cars are complicated and things are bound to happen. Then again, I never took either of my last two Hondas in for anything the entire time I had them. I'm not a Ford fan, but I still love my Mustang!
Old 1/2/08, 09:24 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Stalling problem still unresolved - I think it's Throttle Body related - 'working' with dealership to resolve

Fuel shut off problem - 2nd tank - still have the problem.

Window tint scratches - will replace w/ moleskin later - no biggie.

Other than that, no issues. Not surprising for a first model year after a redesign.
Old 1/3/08, 12:01 AM
Bullitt Member

i had the strut clunk, and i had a hanging brake caliper, but both are fixed, nothing else has givin me trouble
Old 1/3/08, 12:32 AM
FR500 Member

Glenn, the reason the 2k GT you had experienced little to no issues was because Ford had over 20 years to get it sorted. (SN95/New Edge = derivative of the Fox chassis). Not that its any real consolation, but a substantial re-design or new platform usually experiences more issues, regardless of brand. And sometimes it's just the luck of the draw...
Old 1/3/08, 03:03 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
It's a Ford... what did you expect? Quality?

Everyone in our family has bought Fords for the past 30+ years and we all have come to the same conclusion.
Old 1/3/08, 03:58 AM
Team Mustang Source

So why do you keep buying them??
Old 1/3/08, 04:16 AM
Cobra R Member

dude you got a lemon go back and get a new one
Old 1/3/08, 09:12 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by metroplex
It's a Ford... what did you expect? Quality?

Everyone in our family has bought Fords for the past 30+ years and we all have come to the same conclusion.
All the Fords in I've ever owned and the ones my family has owned have been very well built and reliable, and have never left me stranded, from my dad's '60 F100 to our latest, the '06 GT.

They're not hand carved by old world craftsmen in the black forest from a single block of steel, but then again, they don't cost that much either.
Old 1/3/08, 09:57 AM

I've owned 5 Fords and none of them have left me stranded. The only significant thing to go wrong with any of them is the steering rack had to be replaced in my 04 Mach 1. And the rear a/c blend door in my Expedition. The only thing that has gone wrong on my 06 is the plastic thing to tilt the seat forward has broken.
Old 1/3/08, 10:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Redfire06GT
The only thing that has gone wrong on my 06 is the plastic thing to tilt the seat forward has broken.
haha! mine too! THe small plastic **** on the back of the seat popped off one day, and now it doesn't want to stay on. I never really use it to often (only to clean the back window) I just have to remember to use the **** on the side of the seat instead.

Quick Reply: 06 gt rant