2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

'05 GT

Search this Thread

Old 8/31/04, 03:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Focus was light years ahead of the mustang in terms of amenities. Heated seats, HID's, one-touch windows...now it's the mazda 3, all of those plus navigation. It's a tooling problem, not a cost problem. Specifically for navigation, the flat rock plant doesnt have the equipment or the qualified personell to install it. Thats why the Mazda 6 doesn't offer the same options as its far less expensive sibling, the 3.
Old 8/31/04, 03:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by holderca1@August 31, 2004, 3:28 PM
Okay, all you people that keep saying that heated seats is something for luxury cars are either not aware of the current state of the automotive industry or need to buy a new calender. Ford offers heated seats of their Focus, last time I checked, the Focus is hardly a luxury car and it sells for much less. In fact, I haven't checked this but I feel confident in saying that nearly all cars that have leather seats can get heated seats as an option. This is not something unique to 350Z's and BMW's. Just because some of you live in the southern US does not mean that this is a useless option, they sell Mustang's in the northern states and Canada too. And as for gimmicky options, I believe the My Color thing is the biggest gimmick I have ever seen offered on a car.
Well then buy a focus. Personally I would rather see it have some sporty wheel/tires than care about the heated seats. Thats me. If they dont come out with some wheel/tire combos that I like I will more than likely go and find a different car that I like that has a better wheel/tire combos. Right now the combo looks like it was designed for a ranger or a crown vic. I dont wanna have to go out and buy a set of wheels from ford racing or steeda when ford could have offered something that looked more sporty and fit the car better.
Old 8/31/04, 03:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Ya know, I was just looking for some answers to a few questions that aren't answered in the FAQ section. I wasn't looking for so many negative opinions. But since that's what I got, then:

I prefer to back up what my car 'has' at a stop light, not covering up what it doesnt have with dumb crap like nav's...
Dumb crab like nav's, huh? Your opinion, perhaps, but not one that's shared by a growing percentage of the European and Japanese manufacturers. I've used nav and it's extremely useful. Probably not if one lives in some little redneck town of 50,000 people where everyone knows everyone...but if you live in a major metro area, or travel a lot, it's a HUGE advantage. In ten years, ALL cars will have nav.

Thankfully cars have gotten a little more sophisticated in the last 40 years, i guess some people haven't.
Here, here, that's just what I was thinking as I read most of these posts.

Jeez...some of you are so backward it's painfull. I bet you'd take manual windows and doors just to save $20 off the MSRP.

It's not a useless gimmick...it allows the door to close without changing the pressure in the cabin, so on a hot or cold day, you will get a better seal. Im sure Audi, BMW, Mercedes, etc put it in there because they need "gimmicks" to sell cars... wow.

People who are going to complain about the added price for a few nice convenience features really should cancel thier orders. This car wasn't designed for you. It was designed for people like me, who always wanted a mustang but have always leaned towards the imports for comfort and refinement. Finally bringing the mustang out of the 70's is a good thing.
Yeah, a lot of people seem to want to stay stuck in a previous era. I guess that's why the imports have been kicking the domestics' butts for years now. They KNOW what people want and they give it to them. Perhaps this goes a long way to explaining why Ford has gotten into financial difficulties.

Well my basic argument was that the F-150, a truck, has more luxury items then a Mustang. Its just me, but once you have heated seats with leather, its hard to go back. My Pontiac Grand Prix has them and I don't consider it to be a luxury car. It also has a HUD, which is very cool as its going to be hard to adjusting to not having one. I am surprised more sports cars don't have them, I mean going fast, who has time to look down at your instrument cluster?
Doesn't make sense to me either. As to things like heated mirrors, um, well, the idea behind that boys and girls, is that when you live in cold climates and the outside mirrors ice up or fog up, you don't have to keep rolling your freakin' windows down to reach out with your mitts to wipe them clear!

Geez, let's get rid of rear window defoggers too, while we're at it! And who REALLY needs power windows at all, right? Let's just go back to wind-up windows!

If Ford doesn't want to do things better than the Germans, English, Japanese, etc... well, I guess that would explain why American-made cars have sunk to near the bottom of the food chain.
Yep, like many of the posters here, American manufacturers just don't seem to get it. Although I think they're starting to slowly wake up to the fact that it isn't 1972 anymore, that they don't dominate the automobile market, and that the rest of the world is leaving them behind.

I dont see the mustang being a luxury car and thats what your comparing it to.
Nonsense. Most of these options are available on a Mazda 3 - and I'd hardly call that a luxury car.

Where is it written that in the 21st century, a muscle car has to be crude to be fast? It's not the case with BMW's M3, now is it? And before you give me that old argument about how much more expensive the M3 is, it's NOT because it has the few extra luxury features I want, cause cars at the same price as the Mustang have those - it's because it's a Bimmer, and you pay through the nose for the name.

The Mustang could add a few extra luxury touches for an extra $4K or so in a sightly higher end model for those who want it, and thereby appeal to an even wider customer base, expanding its sales. After all, how many models of 3-Series Bimmer are there, from the base model all the way up to the M3.

On the other hand, maybe the new Stang will do this as the years roll on.
Old 8/31/04, 03:56 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by os121@August 31, 2004, 9:03 PM
I also would add that the single most important design feature of the 2005 (to me) is the increased room. As much as I REALLY enjoyed driving the 2004 GT/Mach1, I just could not buy one because I was so cramped in it.
AMEN, Brother!

As a mater of fact, I had to move the Drivers Seat in the 05 Closer to the dash to get a more Comfortable Reach to the Pedals, and to keep my Legs and Arms from Cramping because they were streached out straight. Not to mention I can rest my Left arm on the Armrest and not feel the Door Panel Grinding into my Shoulder like the Current Stangs. I have to rest my arm on the top of the Door and lean to my right on the Console, to drive a Current Mustang. And By the Way, I'm 6'4" 385# With a 34" Inseam, So you and I can really appreciate the Improvement in the Interior Comfort!
Old 8/31/04, 04:05 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
And lets not forget why the Mustang was so successful back in the 60's, its appeal to families and such as a daily driver.
Old 8/31/04, 04:20 PM
Team Mustang Source

I live in Texas and I want A/C seats they have them in the trucks I can start the car take off my work boots and slide into a nice cold bucket. But that won't stop or even make me think for one second about not buying a Stang. MY biggest complaint I wish it was shorter a Mustang is a 2+2 not a 4 sitter I don't care about back seat comfort.
Old 8/31/04, 04:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Wombert@August 31, 2004, 10:52 AM
I hope so... at least preparation for bluetooth handsfree in all cars... a bluetooth chip costs between 5 and 10 dollars, and prices will drop further
Chrystler charges a whopping $250 for the integrated bluetooth to the stereo system. It then also forces you to upgrade to the best offered stereo system, and I think in some models forces the leather upgrade.

But bluetooth integrated into the stereo only requires the bluetooth chips & programming and a microphone. Then you can hear your mother in law scream at you over 9 speakers of Shaker 1000 goodness
Old 9/1/04, 08:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Andy Haynes@August 31, 2004, 3:44 PM
Well then buy a focus. Personally I would rather see it have some sporty wheel/tires than care about the heated seats. Thats me. If they dont come out with some wheel/tire combos that I like I will more than likely go and find a different car that I like that has a better wheel/tire combos. Right now the combo looks like it was designed for a ranger or a crown vic. I dont wanna have to go out and buy a set of wheels from ford racing or steeda when ford could have offered something that looked more sporty and fit the car better.
liking the wheel/tire combos is obviously a user preference. Some will like what ford has to offer and some will not. That is what the aftermarket is for!
Old 9/1/04, 09:03 AM
Bullitt Member

Robert,
Your right they could offer a nicer mustang for 4 grand more. That will be your cobra when it comes out. Lets wait and see what is to come with the cobra.
Old 9/1/04, 09:04 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally posted by Andy Haynes@September 1, 2004, 9:06 AM
Robert,
Your right they could offer a nicer mustang for 4 grand more. That will be your cobra when it comes out. Lets wait and see what is to come with the cobra.
We have to wait two years on the Cobra though...
Old 9/1/04, 09:51 AM
Retired Tms Staff

No heated seats means my butt is gonna be cold on that luxurious leather ...... I can hardly wait.
Old 9/1/04, 10:12 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 126 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally posted by TampaBear67@August 31, 2004, 2:42 PM
I guess alot of you are too Young to remember the 70's? Well take it from me, I used to drive a 73 Mustang Mach1 with a 351 Cleaveland it it. Like All Mustangs from the 60's it had Frameless Glass Like the 05 has, and Obviously, it didn't have this "Trick Window Sealing Feature" that the 05 Has. All they had were little tabs at the top edge of the Glass to try and hold the Glass against the Rubber Seal on the Roof.

If you have Driven a Classic Mustang or any older Car with Frameless Glass at Highway Speeds, or in the Rain, you would understand and appreciate the Window Sealing Feature on the 05. The amount of Wind Whistle and Dripping Water in the Rain, from the Low Pressure along the Side Windows Pulling the Glass away from their seals at Highway Speeds can get pretty annoying!

And if you have ever washed a Classic Mustang, you will be able to Appreciate this feature as well, since you won't have to Dry your Door Panels and Carpet every time you wash your Car.

Oh, God - what a memory trip this started. I had forgotten about all the window FUN :bang: I had with my '69. They also loved to come out of the door tracks. I lost count of the number of times I re-epoxied the windows back into the tracks. I could dissamble the doors in my sleep, I think.

With framless glass, he is completely, totally 110% right.

The "window dance" is not a gimmick. It really will make a difference in sealing, wind noise, etc.

Just my opinion.

Paris MkVI
Old 9/2/04, 07:56 PM
GT Member

I have had to have the driverside window repaired at least 3 times on my 2000. There was some sort of clip in the door that had broken & a local idiot dealer didn't take the time to fix it right the first 2 times anyways....my points is I think that on the subject of the window going down a few inches will help on wear & tear as shutting the door obviously puts stress on the window. As for the one touch deal, I don't really care for it. If I want my window down an inch....well thats not possible it goes about halfway down & then I have to put it back up to were I want it so as far as safety I spend more time with my hands off the wheel. Guess I'm just not quick enough
Old 9/2/04, 08:23 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You anti-convenience people are pretty hostle. Following your logic, why have A/C, can't you open a window? Why have a heater in the Mustang, can't you just dress warmer in the winter? Why have power steering, can't you just lift some more weights to build some muscles? Why have power brakes, can't you just press harder? Why have a 5 speed trannie, aren't 3 gears enough, just like base Mustangs from the 60s? Why have disk brakes, aren't drums good enough? Why have 17" wheels, aren't 14" wheels like 1965 Mustangs had good enough?

If you don't want climate control, heated & cooled seats, navigation system, etc. then DON'T BUY them. But Ford should offer ALL of those items as options instead of usless gimmics like "My Color".
Old 9/2/04, 08:24 PM
Cobra Member

Wow! What a thread...

First, let me say, yes, we have no heated seats. But, I will be getting Recaros in a few months with the heated and cooled options (bling, bling!) It can get really freaking cold in Chicago at 5am on a Febuary morning ...brrr...

I've got heated seats on my Jetta, and they have kept me toasty while the engine warms up...
Old 9/2/04, 08:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by V10@September 3, 2004, 4:26 AM
You anti-convenience people are pretty hostle. Following your logic, why have A/C, can't you open a window? Why have a heater in the Mustang, can't you just dress warmer in the winter? Why have power steering, can't you just lift some more weights to build some muscles? Why have power brakes, can't you just press harder? Why have a 5 speed trannie, aren't 3 gears enough, just like base Mustangs from the 60s? Why have disk brakes, aren't drums good enough? Why have 17" wheels, aren't 14" wheels like 1965 Mustangs had good enough?

If you don't want climate control, heated & cooled seats, navigation system, etc. then DON'T BUY them. But Ford should offer ALL of those items as options instead of usless gimmics like "My Color".
Old 9/2/04, 10:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by V10@September 2, 2004, 8:26 PM

'My Color' is fine, but not at the expense of being unable to offer more important features, I agree.

Most vehicles today offer these additional amenities, or make them available. Every time I point out that you can get them on a Mazda 3 but not America's premiere ponycar, the "thou shalt not have 'niceties' in a Mustang" pundits fall silent. I mean, Ford doesn't even offer a sunroof option!! I can't think of too many cars that DON'T come with a sunroof anymore. It's almost unconscionable.

Ford's corerequisite Mustang buyers may not care, but you don't increase market share by only appealing to enthusiasts, you build it by expanding your market base. Don't expand your market base and you stagnate. Stagnate long enough and you die. The fact Ford kept the same Mustang platform for 25 bloody years is proof of this.

Businesses are like sharks - if you don't keep moving forward, you sink.

Maybe this explains why Ford has been losing money. :scratch:
Old 9/2/04, 11:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

B) Picky, piiiicky, piiiiiiicky. You guy are boared; these cars better get here soon.
Old 9/2/04, 11:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Dan and Boomer,

Can we mark threads filled with frustration and bitter sniping with some sort of warning avatar in the thread list, so I can stay away from them? If I want to have my blood pressure raise 30 pts. I can try to put my five year old to bed. I come here to escape that kind of hostility!

Old 9/2/04, 11:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

It's the internet dude...calm down. Not worth having a heart attack over.