1994-2004 V-8 GT, GTS, Bullitt, Mach 1, and Cobra

Pros and Cons of the 99-04 Fox

Search this Thread

Old 4/1/05, 10:43 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by BlackMustangGT07+April 1, 2005, 11:32 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlackMustangGT07 @ April 1, 2005, 11:32 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-1999 Black 35th GT@April 1, 2005, 10:48 AM
Cool! They are decently rare. I picked mine up from a used car lot for 10K with only 44k miles on the odometer. With average mileage I wouldn't spend anything over $11,500 for 1999. You'll find the perfect one for you. Good luck. As for the interior of the GT. The 35th anniversary is excellent. I love the fit and finish. The two tone leather interior and leather wrapped steering wheel is always a plus too.
This one is going for $10,600 with 52,000 on the odometer. Black, 5 Speed manual- no way I'm doing another automatic. I found it on the internet about 64 miles from my house. We're supposed to have a showing sometime in the near future. The only picture of it is from the outside- so I'm not so sure wether it truely is a 35th or not. I'm hoping I can get the price to drop alittle closer to $10,000.
[/b][/quote]

This is the only picture from the site- you can't really tell because of the angle. But its starting to make me alittle uneasy about this.
Old 4/1/05, 11:30 AM
Bullitt Member

Its a nice standard 1999 GT, not the Limited. See the confusion lies within the fact that all 1999 Mustangs(sans Cobra) got "35th" badging. So, salesman tried pushing every 1999 Mustang off as some sort of a SE. I loathe car salesman and their tactics.
The price seems a little high on that one.
Old 4/1/05, 11:32 AM
Team Mustang Source

Thats a regular GT. He's pulling a fast one on you. The spoiler is higher up on the anniversary edition and the hood scoop is raised. There is also special rocker panels and honeycomb appliques on the rear deck of the 35th like this:

http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/time.../99/35th-4.jpg

It still looks like a very nice Mustang though. You may want to go look at it. I think with some negotiating you could get it down to $9,600. Give it a whirl!
Old 4/1/05, 12:08 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by 1999 Black 35th GT@April 1, 2005, 12:35 PM
Thats a regular GT. He's pulling a fast one on you. The spoiler is higher up on the anniversary edition and the hood scoop is raised. There is also special rocker panels and honeycomb appliques on the rear deck of the 35th like this:

http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/time.../99/35th-4.jpg

It still looks like a very nice Mustang though. You may want to go look at it. I think with some negotiating you could get it down to $9,600. Give it a whirl!
I had the feeling it was a fast one. I'm definately still going to look at it, but Kelly Blue Book for a Mustang that isn't a 35th Anniversary is alot lower than that- $8,700. My plan of attack is to look at it, bring up the fact that it isn't anything special, since all Mustangs got that badge and wait it out. If I can get it for $300 over KBB I'll be happy. Patience is a virtue
Old 4/1/05, 12:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

The only thing you have to remember is that KBB favors the dealer and usually gives a very low price for the consumer trade in or individual sale. Check www.Edmunds.com . You definetly want to get a fair price but he also wants to get a decent sale. It is a relatively low mileage vehicle for its age. Make sure you get a carfax report or have a mechanic or very knowledgable friend take a good look at it. I think if you got anywhere between $9,000 and $9,500 you would have a decent deal. You may also want to look around see what others are out there so you can give the seller something to think about. I hope this helps and have fun!
Old 4/1/05, 01:00 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by 1999 Black 35th GT@April 1, 2005, 1:51 PM
The only thing you have to remember is that KBB favors the dealer and usually gives a very low price for the consumer trade in or individual sale. Check www.Edmunds.com . You definetly want to get a fair price but he also wants to get a decent sale. It is a relatively low mileage vehicle for its age. Make sure you get a carfax report or have a mechanic or very knowledgable friend take a good look at it. I think if you got anywhere between $9,000 and $9,500 you would have a decent deal. You may also want to look around see what others are out there so you can give the seller something to think about. I hope this helps and have fun!
Kelly Blue Book lowballs the price? I never new that. Edmunds.com gave me $8,708 for a clean car, and $9,227 for one in outstanding condition. I guess I'll just have to wait to see how it goes.
Old 4/1/05, 02:38 PM
Team Mustang Source

That's what my dad has always said and I seem to notice it too. I like edmunds a little better because it seems less biased. You just have to take all things into account. For instance when I was trying to sell my 87 on ebay I was offered 1800 by some *moron* who said that was what it was worth . Technically according to blue book that was accurate but I knew I could get more. In fact I traded it in for $2500 and the GT that I bought was only $10,000. When I looked up the value of the new Mustang it was, according to edmunds about $10,975 and the dealer gave me about a thousand more for my trade. The fact is ou can't win but you can do your best to lose the least.

Let me know how everything pans out, I'm anxious to know . BTW I noticed you drive a 92 subaru legacy, I used to have a 93. Great car!
Old 4/1/05, 04:26 PM
V6 Member

ok, lets be honest with the guy. Yes 99-04's are nice cars but since my 03 has been in the dealers at least 15 times to have two problems repaired, then, well I have to say build quality suffers. My car has had the radio head unit, speakers(all of them), both rear power amps(Mach 460), and then finally the radio harness replaced. You see, It had ignition noise coming through the sound system since day two. I bought the car may 28 03 and the final repair was made Nov 04. Yes I agree, the dealership service dept is need of some skilled techs, but Jesus!

Now since Nov 04 the auto transmission has a bad shudder when shifting between 2nd-3rd and 3rd-overdrive. Twice the dealer flushed and refilled the fluid in the trans. Then a Ford engineer came and reset KAM(keep alive memory) in the tranny and reprogrammed the pc. The fluid was flushed again too. Well the problem became intolerable after that. So, then they replaced the valve body and the torque converter together. Guess what! The problem is still there. Now they want to replace the tranny. Lemon, you say? Yes, I'm looking into that. Other than that the time we have spent driving the car before the problems arrive (the day I bought the car) was very enjoyable. I currently own a 69 Mach 1, a 92 GT, and a 86 F-150. None of these have given me so much opportunity to get the know the service manager so well!
Have any car you buy checked thorughly by a trusted Mech. Good Luck!
Old 4/4/05, 02:53 PM
Team Mustang Source

Hmmm... could be. Thats weird though because the 99-04 Stangs have been very reliable according to Consumer Reports. Either that or the dealership isn't repairing it correctly . This is my third Mustang and I never had a problem with any of them. I hope you find the problem!

Well, BlackMustangGT07, how'd it go?
Old 4/4/05, 07:08 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by 1999 Black 35th GT@April 4, 2005, 2:56 PM
Hmmm... could be. Thats weird though because the 99-04 Stangs have been very reliable according to Consumer Reports. Either that or the dealership isn't repairing it correctly . This is my third Mustang and I never had a problem with any of them. I hope you find the problem!

Well, BlackMustangGT07, how'd it go?
Not so great, I went out to visit the car on sunday. The car was being sold by a father who claimed it was too much for their son's insurance- that struck an imediate flag. The exterior was pretty nice, there was a fist sized ding in the driver's door (explains why he only showed one side), but it was something you could easil pop out, since the paint wasn't damaged in the area. The interior wasn't bad at all, cloth, the tinting was alittle too much for my tastes though. The sound system was all redone, even with a massive 15" sub in the trunk- which was actually a plus for me, because I do that to all my cars- and as long as it's wired right, it should run perfectly fine. So finally, I took the test drive, the V8 was a great change from the high reving Boxer 4 in the Legacy. But, the problems began when I shifted to 2nd. The clutch was slipping, bad enough to let me know someone put this car through the paces. This sparked fear of what else could be wrong. So I enjoyed the drive, then negotiated the price. I explained his car was in fact, not rare, the ding made it under excellent condition and the slipping clutch erked me. I offered him $6,500. His jaw dropped and thought I was shaming him to get the car cheap and really believed his car was rare. I told him the heighest I would go is $7,200- if he gets the clutch replaced by a Ford dealer with reciept (I really didn't like the way this was going). He declined, and I thanked him for his time and headed home a disappointed enthusiast. I really wish I could buy the car, but I knew it was going to be way more trouble than its worth. So I'm regrouping and continuing my hunt. Aside from checking out the dealers, I'm thinking the Ford Nationals at Carslile, PA will bring me some good buys. Since my family and I like to go there yearly, I've seen some pretty sweet sounding deals there- and hopefully there will still be many now that I can afford the car of my dreams.
Old 4/4/05, 08:36 PM
V6 Member

I'm Sorry about that. Stay tuff though you'll find one. I am now waiting for the new tranny to come. I sure do hope it fixes the problem my pony has had since Nov 04. I hope it does because I plan to sell it before something else goes wrong. I'm tired of dealing with it. I don't want to try sell a car with a bad tranny. I'm not like most people who would try to sell a car with a major problem like that. I find it very unethical. Good luck in your search.
Old 4/5/05, 09:06 AM
Team Mustang Source

Well at least you gave it a try. The onlly person who should be shamed is the guy trying to sell the car :nono: . What makes it even more suspicious is that if they say their son's insurance is too high you can probably bet that he has had prior accidents with the vehicle that have been fixed. Good eye on the clutch too thats a big problem with younger kids owning muscle cars. Most (not all because I owned my 87 when I was 18) beat the living crap out of their vehicles. Especially ones that the parents buy in the first place. I know when I have kids their first car is gonna be an old 3 cylinder metro . Keep your eyes open theres one out there for you!
Old 4/5/05, 09:10 AM
Bullitt Member

Even with spirted driving, I have never had a clutch failure. Weird.
Old 4/5/05, 10:36 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by 35thGT@April 5, 2005, 11:13 AM
I agree fully. I learned to drive stick on my '87 and never had a problem with the clutch. I just goes to show that this car was not maintained very well. I wonder what else was wrong with it internally :scratch:
Old 4/5/05, 04:02 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by 1999 Black 35th GT+April 5, 2005, 10:39 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(1999 Black 35th GT @ April 5, 2005, 10:39 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-35thGT@April 5, 2005, 11:13 AM
I agree fully. I learned to drive stick on my '87 and never had a problem with the clutch. I just goes to show that this car was not maintained very well. I wonder what else was wrong with it internally :scratch:
[/b][/quote]

I don't even want to think about what that kid did to that poor car. Only thing I can think of burning up a clutch like that is maybe some burnouts or hard drag racing.