1994-2004 V-6 3.8 and 3.9L V6 Mustangs

Reputable lowering springs

Search this Thread

Old 7/29/18, 10:12 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Reputable lowering springs

So what brand does anyone recommend. I'd love to lower and improve the suspension on the Mustang. I'm not taking it to track day or anything but would like to improve the handing. We travel up to the mountains weekly and some of the two lane roads can be fun.
Old 7/29/18, 12:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
You are going to get a plethora of responses saying "I like (insert brand) the best!" And while they won't be wrong, the truth is that Eibach, Steeda, Ford Performance, SR Performance, and many others all offer fine spring replacements. Just be sure you get the right height for what you want. I happen to have Ford Performance 'P' springs as I wanted 1" all round and am happy with them. I probably would have gotten Steedas if I hadn't wanted that 1" all 'round, as they're 1" front, 1.25" (or 1.5"?) in back, and I didn't want to lower the back more. I like the slightly raked look, m'self. There are plenty of reviews for all the spring sets out there, though, so just plod through them.

Now, your post doesn't elaborate on what else you're thinking about, but... if you're only thinking about springs, you need to think bigger, as spings alone ain't gonna cut it. In fact, lowering springs alone will pretty much make handling worse. You'll really want to complete the setup with control arms, dampers, and sway bars. But for sure the dampers (shocks and struts.) You lower the car on stock shocks/struts the car's going to bounce and jounce and just be not so good. I did that.. not a good move.

Also be aware that lowering the car will induce changes in suspension/steering geometry that may dictate (caster/)camber plates on your struts (to prevent wear by caster changes), steering stops to prevent rubbing, pinion angle adjustments for the axle, and even bumpsteer kits. All possibilities that'll need fixin', depending on how low you go.

You may also want to consider getting an upgrade wheel/tire combo for better grip if you're looking for handling. Stock may not get you where you wanna go.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by houtex; 7/29/18 at 12:13 PM.
Old 7/29/18, 05:21 PM
Cobra R Member

I had used the Roush Springs on my 07'GT and that dropped it an 1" all around..i had also changed the struts to Tokikos and liked that upgrade. Thanks for the response! I'll prolly only drop it an inch. My suspension is nearly finished and I'm now looking at replacing the rear end with an 8.8 with 3:73's if my buddy decides to change his out to a 9" for drag racing.
I'm going to make sure I set this up correctly before I make a move. I'll do my homework for sure.
Old 8/2/18, 10:27 AM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,964 Likes on 1,589 Posts
Originally Posted by Poco
So what brand does anyone recommend. I'd love to lower and improve the suspension on the Mustang. I'm not taking it to track day or anything but would like to improve the handing. We travel up to the mountains weekly and some of the two lane roads can be fun.
Houtex's response to your questions are spot on and would, therefore, take his advice. Also, If your only lowering by an inch? I would stick with Roush, especially knowing how well they worked for you on your "07" You might also want to consider BMR springs as their also an excellent quality spring and are highly recommended by folks here on TMS and from other Mustang forums as well.
Old 8/4/18, 05:28 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Houtex's response to your questions are spot on and would, therefore, take his advice. Also, If your only lowering by an inch? I would stick with Roush, especially knowing how well they worked for you on your "07" You might also want to consider BMR springs as their also an excellent quality spring and are highly recommended by folks here on TMS and from other Mustang forums as well.
I'm probably going with the BMR springs. I met a dude who has a v-6 mustang set up that way and it handled and drove really nice. Right now I'm replacing the rear calipers and its one challenge after another..."i like IT". Very soon I'll start in on the springs,struts and shocks. Thanks for the input.