1994-2004 V-6 3.8 and 3.9L V6 Mustangs

Bought my first 2001 3.8L mustang knocking noise plus powersteering noise please help

Search this Thread

Old 5/2/20, 02:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bought my first 2001 3.8L mustang knocking noise plus powersteering noise please help

Hi guy's. I bought my first Mustang. It's a 2001 Ford Mustang. With 3.8L v6. It has issues. It has a knocking noise seem like coming from manifold or valve not sure but the noise goes away when warm. Also Power steering make noise. It has power steering oil. It act like if it has no oil. Please help guy's. I'm not a mechanic but would love to know what to look for. And possibility i do the repair. I don't work before other cars. But people please help me. Ty here two video

UPDATED 5/2/2020
I had to remove the passenger front tire. Guess what. While on park i lift it up to remove lugs and guess what my wheel turning freely like if there no preak. I notice
break pads are like new. Rest of the other tires break pads half way worn out. For this year of car. Can it be the piston?

Cold engine knocking noise goes away when warm

Another video when knocking is gone

Last edited by jcer93705; 5/2/20 at 06:45 PM.
Old 5/2/20, 04:09 AM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,318 Likes on 1,729 Posts
Welcome and congrats on your first pony! Lots of good people here and I'm sure they will get your pony concerns straightened out in no time.
Old 5/2/20, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by Mustang Freak
Welcome and congrats on your first pony! Lots of good people here and I'm sure they will get your pony concerns straightened out in no time.
Thanks.
Old 5/2/20, 05:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
Get a mechanic's stethoscope. Or a decent piece of hose that's long enough. Here's why:

It *sounds* like an exhaust leak that's happening. It'd explain the warming up and it going away too. I suspect the flange at the end of the manifold needs to be tightened up and/or a gasket replaced if it's applicable, as it seems to get louder as you go towards the back. It could also be a cracked manifold, or if there's an O2 sensor that's not quite seated maybe. In either case, they'd be getting closed up when the thing expands from the heat.

So what you do is use the 'scope or the hose to listen to a specific area. Around the exhaust ports, down at that flange... try to pinpoint where the problem is. If you can find the sound more specifically, you can find the issue and fix it.

I don't think it's exhaust gaskets. That'd sorta work backwards, or just always be making noise.

It does NOT sound like a knock or injectors or anything like that. To my ear. Over the internet. Salt. Take a grain.

---

The power steering is easy: Replace the pump. That thing's all kinds of done. It's not difficult, per se, just time consuming and All. That. Fluid... Well, that, and you WILL have to get a pulley puller, the pumps don't come with them. And I want to say you gotta take the pulley off to get the pump off anyway... And then you'll have to put the pulley back on the new pump... And once it's all swapped and hooked up, you'll want to fill the thing, spin the wheel a few times back and forth, fill, repeat until the thing's burped out all the air.

Hope that helps. Welcome to the forums!
The following users liked this post:
jcer93705 (5/2/20)
Old 5/2/20, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by houtex
Get a mechanic's stethoscope. Or a decent piece of hose that's long enough. Here's why:

It *sounds* like an exhaust leak that's happening. It'd explain the warming up and it going away too. I suspect the flange at the end of the manifold needs to be tightened up and/or a gasket replaced if it's applicable, as it seems to get louder as you go towards the back. It could also be a cracked manifold, or if there's an O2 sensor that's not quite seated maybe. In either case, they'd be getting closed up when the thing expands from the heat.

So what you do is use the 'scope or the hose to listen to a specific area. Around the exhaust ports, down at that flange... try to pinpoint where the problem is. If you can find the sound more specifically, you can find the issue and fix it.

I don't think it's exhaust gaskets. That'd sorta work backwards, or just always be making noise.

It does NOT sound like a knock or injectors or anything like that. To my ear. Over the internet. Salt. Take a grain.

---

The power steering is easy: Replace the pump. That thing's all kinds of done. It's not difficult, per se, just time consuming and All. That. Fluid... Well, that, and you WILL have to get a pulley puller, the pumps don't come with them. And I want to say you gotta take the pulley off to get the pump off anyway... And then you'll have to put the pulley back on the new pump... And once it's all swapped and hooked up, you'll want to fill the thing, spin the wheel a few times back and forth, fill, repeat until the thing's burped out all the air.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fac3nnwaxjc

Hope that helps. Welcome to the forums!
Wow yea thank you. Look very easy doing thw power steering. I think I found the problem it's evening and sun is up. I'm gonna check more. Another thing I just updated my first post. All around break pads are worn up. Except the passenger front tire. I tried removing it and i did eventually but while it was park and break on it still spin that explain why the break isn't worn as other 3. What would that be? And Thank you so much for you're advice especially that scope
Old 5/2/20, 08:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Calipers up front. I want to say in the back too. So this applies to all four wheels.

If the wheel still spins when the brakes are on, then the caliper is not sliding on the pins. The best thing to do is to take the calipers off, then take the pins out of the calipers. They'll probably be done, toast, messed up, not usable. Or maybe there's not any grease in 'em. It'd be likely the boots on them are gone/worn out/have a hole and washed out all the grease.

In any event, a full brake swap is likely in order, rotors, pads, ALL the hardware, and perhaps even the calipers if the slider pin holes are beyond repair.

Here's a video for that to explain the siezed/messed up pin action:

And one for a full caliper overhaul... It's better to just replace it if it's bad, but the info is good to know.

And finally, one for explaining all the hardware and how it's really important to get new stuff, or at least have seriously good used:

Eric O. and Eric the Car Guy are good stuff.

Last edited by houtex; 5/2/20 at 08:36 PM.
Old 5/3/20, 12:14 PM
V6 Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Just my 2c but definitely sounds like the notorious ford power steering pump and yes they all whine at some time, when replacing it try to avoid hard turns where you bottom out the rack left to right.. and the other sounds like an exhaust leak as others have said you will need to replace the exhaust gaskets, not a hard job but better left to a shop in case you break an exhaust stud congrats on the car i had a 98 mustang gt and a 99 mustang cobra until last year i picked up my 14 mustang gt just take care on the little things before they become BIG problems, and do regular maintenance it sure saves a lot in future costs
Old 5/8/20, 01:17 AM

**** it. So I added some bars leaks high mileage power steering repair few days ago. And today I notice a new noise. But
I think it's coming from the power steering. When i throttle it kind of going away. Anyway's is this actually coming from the power steering?
If So I made it worse with that stupid steering fluid that suppose to fix things. Any thoughts?

https://www.autozone.com/brake-and-p...-9oz/94558_0_0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jrym...jr_NuU6uNiggMg
Old 5/8/20, 12:46 PM
V6 Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
any additive will only get you so far if anywhere at all most are money grabs, definitely sounds like the power steering pump humming but the squeek i hear could also be coming from an idler pulley as well, for is notorious for power steering pump failure best bet replace the pump and if it's not in the cards money wise don't keep dumping additives at it will only make things worse, just drive it till you can afford to either replace it or get it repaired, if it was me i would just drive it till it got worse.
Old 5/8/20, 01:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

That's to stop leaks, really. It won't fix a shot pump. It might make it quiet by changing the characteristics of the fluid, but it's not going away. You've not made it worse, but it's likely not to have made it better either.

That said... I'm curious. There's an alternator and an idler pulley right there too. Have you maybe used as I said before, a stethoscope, or a tube, or a long screwdriver to attempt to isolate it to the pump? As it could be any of those three, near as I can tell.

The idler pulley is easy. Put a screwdriver right on the bolt in the middle and stick your ear on the handle. You'll hear that noise comin' right up in your ear if it's that.

For the alternator and the pump, on the housings. That squeak will be very definite. Then you'll know for sure.

But if it's definitely the power steering pump, then it's definitely going to need replacing.
Old 9/16/20, 04:47 PM
Banned

Random I know but, how do you even discover thermostat gasket leak? I can only assume you were low on coolant and saw some wet spots of coolant?

Last edited by amelbeabk; 9/17/20 at 04:52 AM.
Old 9/16/20, 09:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Um...

I see no where else in this thread anything about a thermostat gasket. BUT, yes, you would see some coolant seepage from the housing and possibly find low coolant, and if it goes on long enough, overheating the engine. You'd probably also smell the coolant.

Hope that helps!