Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

What are these for?

Search this Thread

Old 4/3/08 | 11:16 PM

Question What are these for?

Just wondering. I was looking behind my glove box under my dash today, and I found these wires. They weren't plugged into anything, and I'm just curious about what they're supposed to be for.

Old 4/4/08 | 12:57 AM
Post *****

I'm betting for options your car didnt have. alot of newer cars have connections for other options to simplify the wiring harnesses. So in theory, find out what they are and add the parts and you can just plug and play

Assuming you want them. Sorry for not being so helpful, but I bet someone else can tell you more specifically
Old 4/4/08 | 08:21 AM
x21
Bullitt Member

hmm, makes me wonder if I got em too. Ya know whats funny, a couple of months ago, I realized I had lamp sockets for the footwells on either side of my car, after owning it and driving it for 7 years! One day I just noticed one, whicle messing with the radio wiring, plugged in an extra bulb I had and viola.
Old 4/4/08 | 02:50 PM

Were the plugs inside the brackets already? Cause I want the lights there, but all I have are the brackets for them. Is it possible to put them in my car anyways? Is there some kinda plug hidden somewhere?
Old 4/4/08 | 03:27 PM
x21
Bullitt Member

Nope, no plugs like that in mine.
As for the footwell lights, there were 2- the drivers side right up on the kick panel near the door edge and on the passenger side centered directly under and slightly behind the glove box. Both sockets were already there. They use that small push in type (forgot the bulb #). At the time I had ambers, so I used those and kind of like them.
Old 4/4/08 | 03:46 PM
Post *****

Where do they lead to? Those wires go somewhere. Are you original owner? Those could be factory wiring harnesses for radio that at some point someone bypass or tapped into because they didn't have an aftermarket harness for it.
Old 4/4/08 | 04:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by x21
Nope, no plugs like that in mine.
As for the footwell lights, there were 2- the drivers side right up on the kick panel near the door edge and on the passenger side centered directly under and slightly behind the glove box. Both sockets were already there. They use that small push in type (forgot the bulb #). At the time I had ambers, so I used those and kind of like them.
if its a really small bulb its probably a 194, if its a little bigger I think it'd be 912
Old 4/4/08 | 04:10 PM

My Uncle is the original owner. The window sticker says it has a radio delete, but I'm pretty sure they aren't for the radio. I have all the correct wiring for it hooked up. They look like the go behind the air controls, and into a bunch or other wiring. I don't have a/c so could they have something to do with that? Thanks

Also, where do the wires on the lights come from? Do they go directly to the dimmer switch?

Last edited by Blue Notch; 4/4/08 at 04:14 PM.
Old 4/4/08 | 07:10 PM
Cobra Member

Thats where you plug the flux capacitor. I thought everyone knew that?
Old 4/10/08 | 09:34 AM

They look like the plugs fo the info center on the console but that would be for pre 87 but the harness might be the same...