The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   Fox Mustangs (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f634/)
-   -   Speedo Needle (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f634/speedo-needle-403062/)

kevinspann 3/12/05 09:00 AM

Its really kind of strange how it bounces up and down between 5-20 Mph when the car is going under 20. Over 20 it just stops and works normally. I dont know what it is but when you are pulling up to a stop light or something, going really slow (maybe 5 mph) it bounces on an interval, kinda like with the rotation of the tires. Anyone know or understand what im talkin about?

Final5pt0 3/12/05 12:51 PM

Originally posted by kevinspann@March 12, 2005, 12:03 PM
Its really kind of strange how it bounces up and down between 5-20 Mph when the car is going under 20. Over 20 it just stops and works normally. I dont know what it is but when you are pulling up to a stop light or something, going really slow (maybe 5 mph) it bounces on an interval, kinda like with the rotation of the tires. Anyone know or understand what im talkin about?

i used to drive a 90GT-did the same thing
my cousin drives a 89GT- does the same thing
my father drives a 93GT- does the same thing,
however my 95GT doesnt, so im guessing its normal lol
i dont know anyone else seen this?

svopaul 3/12/05 04:50 PM

The reason is because of the cable....the '94 up Mustangs have an electronic speedometer and no cable which is why they don't do it ;). Take out your cluster and get some graphite powder lube....shoot some in the came and wash it down a little with some WD-40 and that should fix your bouncing speedometer ;)

Final5pt0 3/13/05 08:55 PM

Originally posted by svopaul@March 12, 2005, 7:53 PM
The reason is because of the cable....the '94 up Mustangs have an electronic speedometer and no cable which is why they don't do it ;). Take out your cluster and get some graphite powder lube....shoot some in the came and wash it down a little with some WD-40 and that should fix your bouncing speedometer ;)

cool, ill be sure to tell my father an cousin bout that

NoSfErAtU 3/17/05 09:10 AM

ty! mine does it too! lol

kevinspann 3/19/05 09:53 AM

Thanks, now i've got something i can do over spring break!

kevinspann 8/25/05 10:13 AM

Yeah, i know this is a little late, but i tried this and it didnt work
Now what?

ScottyBoy302 8/25/05 11:04 AM

Kevin, is your 2.3 an automatic? cause i used to drive a 4cyl auto and it never happened once. Now it happens all the time on my 89 gt 5speed though. Does it even happen on the autos, cus my 4cyl had 80,000 miles more than my gt.

kevinspann 8/25/05 11:15 AM

Yep its an auto

MustangFanatic 8/25/05 07:49 PM

Paul will have to check me on this but it could be that the cable is sticking and might need to be replaced. Alternatively, it could be the speedo itself, I had one that did the same thing and eventually quit. All of mine with manuals so I'm not sure if the same applies to the autos

svopaul 8/26/05 08:17 AM

Yes, I would replace the cable.