Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

ok guys, its almost time for me 2 get a car!

Search this Thread

Old 8/15/05, 11:19 AM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i turned 14 last week, and i am positively sure a fox mustang is the car I want when i am 15. i think my folks will let me have it when im 15, and work on it and let my dad drive it some until im 16. so i really need u guys help to find a good one. i need an 87-93 5.0 mustang, preferably a vert or hatch (i dont much care for how the notches look, unless u find a really nice one). color dont really matter, as long as its not white (i really like black and red). The price would have to be under 15 grand, maybe under 10. so t.i.a. for u guys help, i really need to find one
Old 8/15/05, 11:49 AM
V6 Member

You can definitly find a nice fox under 10k. Check locally first. Also try www.collectorcartraderonline.com
Old 8/15/05, 03:35 PM
FR500 Member

i found one in my city....it has 650 hp, but it might be a bit much $, and i am assuming they would not give a teenager insurance for a 650 hp mustang....here it is: http://cars-on-line.com/12840.html
Old 8/15/05, 05:16 PM
V6 Member

The insurance company doesn't have to know it has 650hp
But if you can get your parents to buy that for you maybe they'll buy me one too.
Old 8/15/05, 05:38 PM
Bullitt Member

I wouldnt even sell a 16 year old a 650 hp mustang. Unless you have already been driving for a few years, save yourself the trouble and get a nice used fox, that isnt perfect. That way when it gets wrecked or goes in a ditch you wont feel near as bad.

I am not saying that you will definiltey wreck the car, or even put it in a ditch. However, most 16 year olds just dont have the driving expierience to drive even a stock fox body safely. They can and will come out from under you in a heartbeat if you dont have the expierience and self control to handle a fox.
Old 8/15/05, 07:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

If youre insurnace is like mines you cant have a V8 Mustang at all. If you really want a fox mustang find a 2.3L and put a V8 in it or find one that someone has already done that do and get it insured at a 4 cyl price. Also If you get a 2.3L find a junker simply becuase you will most likely wreck it. The majority of teens wreck their first car. Also if you get a Mustang (or any fast car for that reason) DO NOT GET A BRIGHT RED ONE!!!!! The cops stare at those cars since they pop out. Good luck on the search and welcome to the crowd (im in the same boat).
Old 8/15/05, 09:05 PM
GT Member

You can find a nice starter fox for half the amount your looking for. I bought this 1990 GT with 80,000 miles and a fresh 302 with forged internals, B cam, O/R H pipe and new paint the other day for $5K.

Prob also depends where your from. Fox Mustangs are dime a dozen here in Texas.

Oh yea and whats wrong with white
Old 8/16/05, 11:42 AM
FR500 Member

well, i guess i would settle for white if it was a really nice car...i also had something else in mind...when i can drive (in about 1 or 2 years), what would be the price of a used 05 mustang gt? AND BTW, EVERYONE WHO THINKS I AM GONNA WRECK MY CAR, I HAVE BEEN DRIVING SINCE I WAS 9 YEARS OLD, AND IM 14 NOW..... my dad even lets me drive on public roads sometimes....in traffic....so i am pretty confident i wont wreck it.......and about the 4 cyl. insurance price for a 5.0......if u get in a wreck and they find that u have a v8, not a 4 cyl, it could be fraud and u could go 2 jail.....never thought about that, huh?
Old 8/16/05, 12:18 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
try www.craigslist.com

i found my car there, and so did Aaron USNavyMustang

its a great site and its local (just gotta click on your area you can always find something nice there. trust me!

good luck dude

(@#$%, why didnt my parents let me drive when i was nine???)
Old 8/16/05, 12:24 PM
Post *****

oh, and seeing as 03-04 GTs are running about $19-21K thats what i'd expect for an 05 in the next few years...
Old 8/16/05, 01:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Zc527@August 16, 2005, 11:45 AM
AND BTW, EVERYONE WHO THINKS I AM GONNA WRECK MY CAR, I HAVE BEEN DRIVING SINCE I WAS 9 YEARS OLD, AND IM 14 NOW..... my dad even lets me drive on public roads sometimes....in traffic....so i am pretty confident i wont wreck it...
Umm yea, on public roads, Sometimes? Where have you been driving for 5 years if not on public roads. How many fast cars have you been driving? What KIND of cars have you been driving? A fox will come out from underneath you a heck of alot quicker than mom's minvan or dads pickup truck. Of coarse you are confident you wont wreck it, your a kid. UNless you have been doing autocross, or drag racing, then I seriously doubt you have the expierience that alot of us have in these cars. I dont care how good of a driver you are, there have been better drivers than you that have "accidently" lost it. The basic ability to drive is very simple, the benefit of expierience and age is judgement and knowing how to properly react in a bad situation. Those are things you just cannot get without years of solid expierience in cars like these.
Old 8/16/05, 01:39 PM
FR500 Member

i just started driving on roads and in traffic, becuase for a few years, i drove in an empy high school parking lot....i mostly drive a 1997 lincoln town car v8 with almost 250 hp. It can GET UP AND GO! I have had lots of experience and instruction from my dad, so by now i just blend in with traffic, i dont stick out as an erratic driver....i got the swing of how to operate and handle the car, and i even know how to drive stick shift. my dad says i drive just as good or better as anyone else on the road, and he didnt say that to make me feel good, he really means it.
Old 8/16/05, 02:47 PM
Bullitt Member

A v8 towncar does have some power, but is totally different from a mustang. That towncar isnt going to come out from under you near as easy. Find a friend that has a foxbody, and get him to let you drive in a prking lot. Turn the wheel a bit and pop the clutch one good time. After you stop and realize you are facing the other direction you will know what I mean.

I am not saying you cant handle a fox mustang, because I dont know you personally. However, as a general rule, they dont make good cars for inexpierienced drivers such as yourself.

Driving with your dad is totally different than when you are on your own driving, because of the fact that driving with a parent tends to keep younger drivers calm and less likely to do something wrong.

It is hard for anyone that really likes driving v8 stangs to stay out of the gas all the time, and even mature drivers do things that probably arent the smartest in the world.

Please dont think that the people here that believe a 16 year old kid dont need a v8 stang have anything against you, because that simply isnt true. All we can base our opinions on is the information we have at hand, and that is that you are a 16 year old that has a little bit of driving expierience.

I hope that you do get a fox stang like you want, and that you take care in driving it, and use enough commons sense and judgement to enjoy your car, and do it safely. Unfortunetly, such actions and maturity is rare among people your age, and that is why older people tend to throw out the "caution flag" when we see younger people such as yourself wanting to get behind the wheels of one of these cars.
Old 8/16/05, 04:56 PM
FR500 Member

man, i wish i did have a friend w/ a fox mustang....and if i did, there is no way they would ever let me drive it....lol....well i want a v8 stang becuase of the sound....i dont like the sound of a 4 or 6 cyl. that much. i have pretty good judgement, and i would not be dumb enought to do something that would hurt me or my car....cuz i know if i wreck it, i probably would not get another one...my parents would stick me in a civic or something...lol
Old 8/16/05, 06:13 PM

Zach www.craigslist.com is a great place to look for Foxs. As for you wanting a 5.0 I can't stress enough on getting some time under your belt first. A 1997 Lincoln Town Car is night and day different than a Fox. But if you manage to talk your parents into buying one, please be cafeful. Please understand that everyone here isn't saying we don't want you to have a Fox, we just want to make sure you are doing the right thing based on your driving ability.
Old 8/16/05, 06:14 PM
Post *****

Honda: my anti drug :P
Old 8/16/05, 06:54 PM
FR500 Member

bahahahahahahahahaha i hate honda....but my dad owns 2....he almost bought a fox instead of one of them
Old 8/16/05, 08:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Only problem is that your 14. You think that you know more about driving that you actaully do. Once you get your own car are out on the road by yourself and get that crazy urge to do something stupid you'll learn quick about cars. Ive not been in any of the situations but I know people who have. You may think you wont wreck your first car but you most likely will no matter how much experience you have. Probably 95-99% of people on this site wrecked their first car. Also once you do wreck you become a lot more fidgity behind the wheel since you will be somewhat scared. I know people who are 40 years old and when they just get into a little fender bender it shakes them up. I personaly dont htink you should get a 5.0 for your first car. A 5.0 and a town car are two different beasts. Think long and hard before you spend a lot of money on a car since they are money pits and its a pain in the hiney to have one. Ill shut up now.
Old 8/17/05, 06:38 AM
GTR Member

Originally posted by Zc527@August 16, 2005, 7:57 PM
bahahahahahahahahaha i hate honda....but my dad owns 2....he almost bought a fox instead of one of them
do you actually live somewhere where a mustang is practical? i don't, i'd have to garage it all winter, so i cant have one as a first car.
Old 8/17/05, 07:16 AM
GT Member

My other advise is go with an 86 SVO. You get the insurance of a 4cyl, but with a little tuning and couple of mods, those cars are quick. You also get the benefits of a five lug car... My boss had a nice one with 17" cobra R's and some work done to it and it was quicker than most 5.0's around here. (A mid-low 13 sec car) And you cant beat the sound of a turbo

Something like this....

Quick Reply: ok guys, its almost time for me 2 get a car!