Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Mirage775's '88 LX 5.0 Coupe Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12/1/23, 12:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mirage775's '88 LX 5.0 Coupe Build Thread

Hello everyone! In case I didn't say anything about myself back in 2007, I'll do it now! My name's Jason and I've lived pretty much in the same county, in Alabama, forever (47 years, with only one year being in Columbus, Georgia in 1981). I graduated High School in 1993 and came from parents liking all sorts of American made cars, my dad (was die hard Chevrolet guy '56 Bel-Air) and my mom (Mustang girl, I remember she owned '69 Mach 1), I grew up mostly in GM vehicles, being that's what my dad liked, so that's what I got more or less, until around 1998/99, I traded a Honda 4 wheeler and $1000 bucks for this, a body off hot rodded 1955 F100.

My first Ford, wait... no it wasn't my first, it was my second Ford, my first was something that I've been trying to wipe out of my mind since I was 15, when my dad bought me a '78 Ford LTD 2 Door for my first car, because he got a deal on it.... Yea, I was irresistible to women, LOL! I hated that POS! It was Tan with a vinyl Tan interior. Yea, it had a 302, but weighed so **** much, it had zero power.... I remember my dad saying, it was a "sports" car, because it was a 2 door... Anyway, I cleaned it up, got all the vacuum leaks fixed and sold it for a $1000 in 1992! Back then, I said I'll never own a Ford again!!! Boy how things I changed in the last 30+ years

Anyway, when I still owned the '55 F100, dad and I stripped it down and he painted it '69 GM Aqua.

I cherished this old truck for a few years, (until an ex-girlfriend wanted a Chevelle SS) and I made the very, very stupid mistake of trading the truck, for a POS '69 cloned SS Chevelle... Should've gotten rid of that cheating ho instead!

In 2004, I bought my first Mustang and my first Convertible too, a 1997 or 98 Cobra Convertible triple Black, with something like 40-50k miles on it. Man, that car was super heavy, LOL! I actually traded it for a 2004 Ford Ranger Super Cab 2wd Edge, which I sold to one of my friends not even 8 months later, because I was working a crappy job, was single, living with my Grandmother and dating my now wife, so money was super tight to pay for a $22k truck, haha! I remember my dad saying I was crazy for paying much for a truck... Man how times have changed *sigh* I think I have a picture of that truck somewhere?

So anyway, I joined this forum back in 2007, I believe, when I had found this all stock, unmolested '93 GT 5 speed, it was even my favorite color, Blue! Took this pic on the day I bought it, sometime in March 2007, sitting beside my not stock 2003 S10 Xtreme, man I miss that truck too...

I had a lot of plans for this car at first! I actually had bought it to do be a donor for a future Factory Five Cobra (I've wanted one of those since 1994! and to this date, I've still never had one...)! I had just started my career a couple years earlier and honestly wasn't making enough money to afford to do much of anything to it, other than drive it back and forth to work. The more I drove the '93, the more I liked it and hated to hack up a nice car, (well at the time, I thought it was a nice car, but there's a reason that drivers side fog light is missing...) Turns out, it had been severely smashed on the left front corner and whoever put it back together hid the damage pretty well....

So, after almost 17 years, I finally have another Fox Body, but not after owning a bunch of other vehicles within that time frame!
Vehicles owned since I owned the last Fox Body in 2007...
After I sold the '93 GT and the '03 S10..., I bought all these, in this order in parenthesis was year purchased:

2001 Audi TT Convertible (2007)
2003 Mini Cooper (2007)
2007 Sierra Regular Cab W/T 2wd (2007)
2007 Victory Vegas Custom (2008)
1989 S10 Blazer 2wd (2010)
1953 Ford F100 (needed full restoration, this was to replace my mistake of traded the '55) (2010)
2009 Dodge Ram Regular Cab HEMI 2wd (2011)
2011 Honda CR-Z (2011)
2011 Silverado X-cab LS 2wd (2011)
2013 Silverado X-cab LS Z71 (2013)
2006 Wrangler TJ Rubicon 2dr (2014)
2003 Ranger Supercab FX4 (with a 2011 facelift) (2015)
2016 Polaris Slingshot (2016)
2000 Mazda Miata (I spent a small fortune making this car bad as hell, then sold it for next to nothing late 2021...) (2017) Full build thread here: Miata MSM Clone with Honda K24 Engine Swap!
2021 Ford Ranger Crew Cab Custom (I made an SCT SEMA clone) Now wife's Daily Driver (ordered August 2021) Full build thread here: Ranger SCT SEMA Clone
2017 Wrangler JK Rubicon 2dr (Daily Driver) (2023)
1988 Mustang LX 5.0 Coupe (2023)

I think that sums it up on the vehicles, ha! I know, I know, I've owned a lot of vehicles in my early age in life! I think not long after I met my wife, I was around the 40 vehicles owned, that was 20 years ago... I've slowed down a little, LOL!

So, this first post is all over the place, but now, this is where my new project below comes into play!

I picked it up in East Tennessee last weekend for a price that I don't care to discuss with yall It's an original, 99% unmolested 1988 LX factory 5.0, 5 speed! Gonna be honest with yall, until a few years ago, I hated the Coupe/Notchback body style, but when I started looking for another Fox body a few years ago, I saw a lot of these for sale and I actually like this body more than the Fastback now! You just don't see this body style as much as the Fastbacks... I say that now and soon I'll see them everywhere, haha! Also, not a big fan of the color White, but on this car, I love it! So, the next post is going to show what I'm doing with this thing!

Thank yall for sticking with me through this lengthy first post of my build thread!
The following users liked this post:
05stangkc (12/1/23)
Old 12/1/23, 12:36 PM
The Analog Admin!

Received 2,992 Likes on 2,199 Posts
The First Step in Your Journey,

We are Honored You Chose Here To Share!

Mgb,

KC
Mirage775 (12/1/23)
Old 12/1/23, 01:34 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,703 Posts
Great story and thanks for sharing it with us!
Mirage775 (12/1/23)
Old 12/1/23, 02:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

So, these are few pics I took after we got back home last Saturday.

Amazingly, without the overflow cap on it, it started steaming a good bit, after I had been sitting still for a few minutes, while waiting on my wife to get done at Buc-ees. Unsure how hot is actually was, since the engine temp and oil psi gauges didn't work... :/ It was about another 30-40 minute drive home from Buc-ees and it did fine the rest of the way home! At least it wasn't too hot, outside temp wise on the way home, as none of the A/C or vents or heat or any of that system worked... That's an issue I hope I can get resolved here?

I'm a tall guy, 6'5" & 250lbs. These Corbeau's are brand new and I did not care for them one bit! They had my head almost touching the roof and for whatever reason, I couldn't get them to slide back as much as stock would go. The rear seat delete and battery relocate were both done very poorly... I have ordered parts to redo these correctly!

I love the 80's interior colors! Regatta Blue and Black! That Hurst shifter is badass too! It shifted better than my B&M Shifter that's in my Rubicon! Also, I assume that the tie rods are out of whack, judging by the fact that the wheels are straight, but the steering wheel is turned slightly to the left...?

Last edited by Mirage775; 12/2/23 at 08:09 AM.
Old 12/1/23, 03:13 PM
The Analog Admin!

Looking Good!

One Thing ,Those Wiper Blades Got to Go! Not Sitting on Glass and a Bit of Wind Drag!

KC
Old 12/1/23, 03:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I had a knee scope on November 15th, so I'm having issues doing some things...

Didn't notice the keychain that came with it, until we got home!

Last Sunday, I got the seats, gauge cluster and console removed.

I also discovered all this crap when I was able to get her in the garage... EDIT: As of 12-1-23, I've figured out what some of this stuff is.

There was also some silly *** car alarm and stereo system in this thing at some point in time, so I pulled all that crap out from under the dash/carpet and reattached previously cut wires, the proper way!

Wednesday, I removed all the interior trim, so I could pull the headliner out. I started to remove the dash, so I could get to the HVAC unit behind it. Might as well go ahead and rebuild everything in it!

Old 12/1/23, 03:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 05stangkc
Looking Good!

One Thing ,Those Wiper Blades Got to Go! Not Sitting on Glass and a Bit of Wind Drag!

KC
Old 12/1/23, 07:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Wednesday night, after I got back from the doctor follow-up, I went back to the garage, pulled my wheels and took some pics of my brakes and rear axle. I have been talking with Josh @ Maximum Motorsports all week, about which roll bar to order, since we've determined that the car has their Road & Track Package on it. We were trying to figure out which roll bar I needed and that's been covered, I just have to order it this weekend!

Ignore my crude rotor measuring devices... Even though it doesn't look like it, the fronts are right at 13" and the rears are a little over 11.5"

Unfortunately, they left the stock '88 master cylinder..., but I plan to upgrade it!

But, we were also talking about my brakes and after talking with Josh for a few days,I talked with Mike and we have determined that the whole rear axle was replaced with an a 94+ Cobra axle, as were the front spindles, calipers, rotors, etc. Josh and I were also talking about upgrading the front coilovers, new MM Front LCA's and HD rear LCA's, screenshot of said parts below:

The car also has the following parts already on it, well, some of those parts are no longer on it!
I probably should've posted this up a few posts...

Corbeau GTS II Black Microsuede Seats
3G alternator
5 lug conversion
03 Cobra wheels 17x9 +26mm OS, 6.02 inch BS
Tires: 225/50 Rear, 215/55 Front
4 wheel disc brakes Cobra 94-04
3.73 gears
Hanlon Motorsports T5
Hurst Shifter
Maximum Motorsports Full frame subframe connectors
Maximum Motorsports rear control arms
Maximum Motorsports K-member brace
Maximum Motorsports rear panhard bar
Maximum Motorsports caster camber plates
Maximum Motorsports Steering Shaft
H&R springs
Eibach sway bars
Bilstein shocks and struts
Race X-Pipe
Flowmaster Exhaust (quiet)
Smoked Headlight and Taillights

My wheels hit the OEM LCA's at full lock..., bad on drivers side...

A few pics of the belly.

Old 12/1/23, 07:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

This post is going to show all my broken HVAC vacuum lines... Is there anyway to fix all of this? It gets hot in Alabama!

And some more awful hacked up wiring near the OEM battery location... Like this random relay near the solenoid? I've ordered a couple of books that hopefully help me out, but maybe some of yall can help too?

Old 12/1/23, 08:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Now for the fun stuff!

I've ordered a bunch of new interior pieces Monday, (I'm staying with original Regatta Blue and Black parts), headliner, visors, the little map light, carpet, seats, rear seat delete, Autometer gauge pack, steering wheel, battery relocation to trunk kit, 6 point cage, new door motors, armrests, etc! This is just a few of things I've ordered:

Maximum Motorsports 6 point cage with Low Slung Door Bars

Autometer Gauge Pack

Corbeau Sportline RRS Racing Seats All Black

MOMO Prototipo Steering Wheel

I'll take more pics, as the interior comes together, but that's just a few things I'm bragging about

Old 12/1/23, 09:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Next up, is performance! I just put a 20% deposit on this:

347 / 425 Horsepower Custom Crate Engine and 5 Speed Transmission Pkg
(Engine will look very similar to this one)

SPECS:
Precision machined 302 roller block ( PAINTED FORD BLUE)
Cast steel crankshaft
Steel beam connecting rods w/ 190,00 psi hardened bolts
SRP forged pistons 10.0 to 1 compression
Perfect circle chromoly piston rings
3 piece steel double roller style timing chain
Steel Xtreme energy roller camshaft Nice torque!
Melling oil pump and screen
Aluminum Performance Cylinder Heads. 60cc Combustion Chambers with Bronze Guides
Stainless steel swirl polished intake valves
Stainless steel swirl polished exhaust valves
Hard seats for unleaded or regular fuel
Heavy duty 1.45 diameter valve springs
7 degree locks
Champion spark plugs gapped and installed
Comp cams roller rockers
New heavy duty chromoly push rods
New Rear sump 6 quart oil pan
Timing chain cover with scale
Black Wrinkled Mustang Powered by Ford Aluminum baffled valve covers
Heavy duty Manual Flywheel
Sniper EFI Throttle Body (Gold) with Built in ECU and Harness
Electronic ignition distributor Red Cap With MSD Coil
90 degree thermostat housing & 180 degree thermostat
13 inch black Ford Air Cleaner
8mm Taylor Red silicone plug wires
High flow aluminum water pump
Dip tube and dipstick
Live run test engine, setting initial timing advance and IAC Readings
Blue printed, balanced, assembled by ASE technicians
Black Serpentine Black Pulley kit with Sandon AC Compressor w/ fitting, Type II Power steering pump and 140Amp 1 wire Alternator
Clutch Kit, Bell-housing, Fork
High Torque Starter Installed and Aligned
TKX 5 Speed Transmission shipped with Engine
Crating, packaging & shipping

I don't want a Coyote swap and I want something classy and cleaner than the traditional plenum FI. Plus, all this ECU crap and everything, is just an eyesore. This car will hopefully never be sold and when I'm gone, my brother or nephew can inherit it, since my wife's not a Mustang fan!

This engine moves the AC Compressor and Alternator opposite of each other, Compressor on the passengers side now... Does anyone know who I can contact about some custom AC lines to the evaporator?

I'm getting tired, so that's it for tonight!
Old 12/2/23, 01:32 PM
The Analog Admin!

Hard & Soft Vacuum Line in Bulk And Connectors To Make Your Own New Vacuum Harnesses.
Scroll Page By Page For Available Items.

https://www.dormanproducts.com/gsear...&q=vacuum+line

Vacuum Connectors

https://www.dormanproducts.com/gsear...tor+Assortment

A/C Line Items.

https://www.vintageair.com/hose-kits-fittings/

Factory Shop Manual Always Helpful!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/38624439352...mis&media=COPY

KC
Mirage775 (12/2/23)
Old 12/2/23, 05:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Hard & Soft Vacuum Line in Bulk And Connectors To Make Your Own New Vacuum Harnesses.
Scroll Page By Page For Available Items.

https://www.dormanproducts.com/gsear...&q=vacuum+line

Vacuum Connectors

https://www.dormanproducts.com/gsear...tor+Assortment

A/C Line Items.

https://www.vintageair.com/hose-kits-fittings/

Factory Shop Manual Always Helpful!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/38624439352...mis&media=COPY

KC
That's awesome, KC, thanks! I have been looking for OEM stuff actually, without much luck. I'm also going to check a place I know about, for some brass multiple "T" fittings. I also need to know what all I can remove that's ECU controlled? It's still going to be fuel injected, but with a Holley Sniper system, just because I like that old school look more than having a big *** plenum

Sorry I didn't respond earlier, one of our 3 Pitbulls had an allergic reaction to something and was broke out in hives! We had to carry her to the Emergency Vet, but we think she'll be right as rain in the morning! Here's our sweet, goofy girl!

Old 12/2/23, 06:09 PM
The Analog Admin!

Aww!

Love Dogs & Cats Too!

I Figured with All the Engine Changes You Are Gonna Have to Do Some Custom Work Anyway! The Hard Plastic Lines Were More of a Time Saving Tool on the Assembly Line Than a Must Have! You Can Actually Make A Cleaner Look Yourself!

KC

Mirage775 (12/2/23)
Old 12/2/23, 09:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Aww!

Love Dogs & Cats Too!

I Figured with All the Engine Changes You Are Gonna Have to Do Some Custom Work Anyway! The Hard Plastic Lines Were More of a Time Saving Tool on the Assembly Line Than a Must Have! You Can Actually Make A Cleaner Look Yourself!

KC
Yea, it's an awful design... Once I get the engine pulled, I'll see what I can come up with? I ordered a few books already, hoping some of them will help me, but I'll order those shop manuals, you linked as well!

Last edited by Mirage775; 12/2/23 at 10:55 PM.
05stangkc (12/2/23)
Old 12/3/23, 10:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!!!!!

My new trunk mounted battery box! I plan to do it the correct way!

New headliner, sun visors, door inserts and updated cup holder console with leather e-brake boot! Console is light gray, but I plan on paint matching it!

This is all new interior parts from LMR!

My new Regatta Blue carpet and Corbeau lowered seat bracket and slider!

My console armrest opener button was completely gone and my armrest lid wasn't any better, so I found this one on eBay! More than I wanted to pay, but it's much better than mine!

My old, rusty nuts.... I could've sworn I took 20 off, but there's only 19 in this pic and they were all 2 different sizes... These things will definitely be getting replaced!

Plans are to get the headliner installed this week and maybe work on the whole HVAC unit. I'm going to take the AC lines out of the car soon too. With the new engine, the compressor will be on the passengers side, so new lines will have to be made anyway.... I need to figure out how to get the AC hard lines disconnected with that tool? I need to keep the car running until I can get the interior finished. I'd like to get the windows tinted before I install the roll bar.
Old 12/4/23, 02:36 PM
The Analog Admin!

Get the Wider Base Circle Lugs They Have More Surface Area And Provide a Better Hold!

Something Like These are about as Heavy Duty As They Come!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/13432352033...3ABFBM-qmE7IZj

KC

If the A/C System is Still Fully Charged May Want to get it Evacuated and Stored at Your Recharge Shop. Wonder if It is Still Got R-12 or Has it Been Updated to R-134?? Something to Consider!

Last edited by 05stangkc; 12/4/23 at 02:46 PM.
Old 12/4/23, 02:47 PM
The Analog Admin!

As An FYI,

I Stumbled on this Vacuum Line Video!

KC
Mirage775 (12/4/23)
Old 12/4/23, 03:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Get the Wider Base Circle Lugs They Have More Surface Area And Provide a Better Hold!

Something Like These are about as Heavy Duty As They Come!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/13432352033...3ABFBM-qmE7IZj

KC

If the A/C System is Still Fully Charged May Want to get it Evacuated and Stored at Your Recharge Shop. Wonder if It is Still Got R-12 or Has it Been Updated to R-134?? Something to Consider!

https://youtu.be/o3tLsju1uLU
Guy I bought it from said previous owner replaced the hose to goes along the drives side of the engine and at the back of the firewall, but it needed charging... I might take it somewhere and see if they can see if there's anything in it still?

EDIT: That kinda sucks because I'd have to put most of the dash back together to take it somewhere... And all those **** plugs I unplugged, LOL! I was also thinking about buying another HVAC box and doing all the work on it, then swapping them out when the time came?

I remember on my Miata All Engine (yes, I say engine, not motor) Power build a few years ago, I had a mint 40k mile newer car than mine. The newer models (03-05) had a better bottom end than mine did (2000). Don't want to get lost in all that, this is a story about Freon. Anyway, I forgot that the previous owner said that he had just filled up the Freon in the car before he lost control and totaled it... I was removing AC lines in it and that **** starting coming out! I ran for life, like a live grenade had landed beside me! That awful smell lingered in my garage for 3 or 4 days! I left my garage open that long too, I'm just glad nobody else was around the car, other than myself, when it happened!

So, yea, I might throw it back together, somewhat, and take it to Firestone, before I pull the HVAC box out. But, I might go ahead and replace the headliner, PW motors first and run the battery into the trunk first? I shouldn't have to have the gauges hooked up, to drive it 3-4 miles down the road, should I?

Last edited by Mirage775; 12/4/23 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Added another comment
Old 12/4/23, 09:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member

As An FYI,

I Stumbled on this Vacuum Line Video!

https://youtu.be/9Uson2zECx0

KC
I started to watch that same video the other day, but passed out, haha! That guy is kind of annoying, (as in I don't think we would get along well), but his videos are useful? I think he lives somewhere in Alabama as well? I re-watched that video earlier and will most definitely get one or 2 of that vacuum blocks! I like UPR's stuff! I put one of their very nice Dual Valve Oil Catch Can w/CSS, on my Ranger last year. Funny story, I was talking with the owner one day and told him my Ranger was different and didn't have both PCV connections on the bottom, like the 2019-mid 2021's did. I'm actually the guy that sent him the pics, (he actually used one of my pics here):

of the updated later 2021's PCV different route and was going to get his entire newly designed kit for FREE, if I would've provided a full install video and detailed installation!

Unfortunately, I'm very shy when it comes to me making videos, (well, more being the center of attention and having to talk in front of the camera, than anything), so I politely refused. He tried and tried to get me to do it, (since there were hardly any new Rangers on dealer lots back then), and I just kept refusing.

My "free" kit would've been the guinea pig of kits he said, but I waited about a month after talking with him again, he sold me one, but knocked off a good amount, something like 35-40%!!! It wasn't too difficult to install, most of the issue was adding the new part that goes on top of the valve cover, (did yall know that's no longer called the valve cover? It's not called the cam(s) cover....). Here's my Rangers UPR can installed.

So to get way off subject!

Quick Reply: Mirage775's '88 LX 5.0 Coupe Build Thread