The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   Fox Mustangs (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f634/)
-   -   carb tuning (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f634/carb-tuning-521635/)

onebadvert 5/13/13 06:43 PM

88 gt
Tfs tw 170 heads
Fti custom cam
.614 int lift
.607 exh lift
1.72 rr
Tfs double springs
Wieand stealth intake

Im running a 670 street avenger carb. I have a wideband af gauge. I just recently upgraded to the fti cam. Before that I was running a b303. With the b303 I was working on getting my af tamed then the lifters went out. So I never really had it better than a 15:1 af ratio.

This 15:1 with the b303 was already increasing the carb jets 4 sizes. Now with the new cam I cant even run it yet. I had it running for a couple minutes and its so lean my headers started turning red quickly. Right now my af is around 18:1.

My question is am I gonna need more than just huge jets? Do I need to modify the air bleeds? Maybe change accelerator pump?

I havent ran it past idle yet. But I know to the accelerator pump will cause a stumble if its not good enough for my setup.

Any carb tuning tips would be greatly appreciated. I do have a vacuum gauge and know that trick to setting the air bleeds. But I have had them all over the pkace with no avail. I also am running a steady 5-6 psi. And the pressure doesnt drop at all so I would think my pump is ok.

Here is an idle video if anyone is curious.

onebadvert 5/14/13 08:56 PM

No carb guys or anyone used to tuning super high lift cams eh?

Fox85 5/15/13 12:28 AM

I'd play around with your timing to start off. Then maybe make adjustments to the carb. What's your fuel pressure?

91notchback 5/15/13 03:00 AM

I think it's gonna be hard to find someone with experience in a cam with over .600 lift Dream!!!lmao;)

onebadvert 5/15/13 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by Fox85 (Post 6624762)
I'd play around with your timing to start off. Then maybe make adjustments to the carb. What's your fuel pressure?

15* initial 36* total
6-7 psi.
I have played with timing and fuek pressure to no avail.
I wondering if I need a vacuum canister to help pull fuel?

Originally Posted by 91notchback (Post 6624777)
I think it's gonna be hard to find someone with experience in a cam with over .600 lift Dream!!!lmao;)

Right? Lol

skunk21 5/15/13 09:46 AM

make sure you don't have a vacuum leak.

onebadvert 5/15/13 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by skunk21 (Post 6624916)
make sure you don't have a vacuum leak.

Funny. Cause I actually just called holley to verify my setup is up to the task. They said I shouldnt have any issues and to check for a vacuum leak.

Thanks

skunk21 5/15/13 09:56 AM

yeah a nasty vacuum leak can cause a problem, both lean and rich conditions can get the headers to glow. you figured out it was lean. check for things like timing that is too retarted ( verify timing marks/pointer are marked correct ), vacuum leak(s) etc.

onebadvert 5/15/13 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by skunk21 (Post 6624922)
yeah a nasty vacuum leak can cause a problem, both lean and rich conditions can get the headers to glow. you figured out it was lean. check for things like timing that is too retarted ( verify timing marks/pointer are marked correct ), vacuum leak(s) etc.

I also have a high idle. Which is another reason the vacuum leak makes sense. Now I just need to track it down.

I know my timing, fuel pressure, etc are all good. So hopefully I can find the leak. Ill get some propane and start spraying suspect areas.

Fox85 5/15/13 05:53 PM

Check all vacuum lines. And try replacing your map sensor out

onebadvert 5/15/13 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Fox85 (Post 6625175)
Check all vacuum lines. And try replacing your map sensor out

No map sensor. Im running a carb with no ecu. I did find a vacuum leak but haven't had time to try and re tune it.