Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Alternator question -

Search this Thread

Old 4/4/04, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys, I am new to the board and just bought an 85 mustang GT 5.0. I am having a problem with the cars alternator charging the battery. The battery has been tested and is good, and so is the alternator itself, its making enough power to charge and is not that old. The person who replaced it may have not known what they were doing and I think it is wired wrong. On the back of the alternator there are four posts - grnd - which goes to ground, bat + - that goes to power block on the fender then to the battery, then fld which is bare and sta which is bare. My question is, what am I missing? Shouldn't there be a wire comming from a power source that tells the alternator to start charging? If so where do I hook it? Please let me know, I want to drive my new car! Thanks in advance!

- Rocketcoffin
Old 4/4/04, 09:10 PM

those two wires should be going the voltage reg. There should be a harness somewhere. If not you will have to get a wiring diagram and run your own.
Old 4/5/04, 02:21 AM

great, where can I get a wiring diagram online? can somebody post one up or tell me where to go?