Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

92 Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 5/22/21, 06:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
92 Convertible

Does the rear window need to be unzipped to lower the top?
Old 5/22/21, 11:18 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
Hm. At first I was gonna say 'nope, leave it zipped', but then I found things(tm) and... well...

I've read that it's better for the top to unzip the glass so as to reduce stresses on the top as the thing folds. Prevents the 'webbing'? Whatever it's called, from ripping up because the glass is not flexible. Or vice versa, it's possible the glass gets cracked/breaks from the stresses the top folding puts on it. So if it's glass... might want to, yes. Thing is, even up, the glass is heavy and puts stresses on the top all the time, bouncing around in there... so... yeah.

If it's a plastic rear window, the stresses aren't nearly as much, however, the plastic window may get kinked/folded in a way that would be not ideal to see through and/or cause premature failure (it is plastic, sun happens, so...)

And in both cases the top apparently can have stresses with the window zipped in (moreso the glass, but still) that'll cause the top fabric to fold/kink in ways that will be unsightly if not fail (rub a hole through) as it goes through the motions.

Ah, the wonderful convertible top. Gotta love 'em. They're really a wear/replace item like brakes if you use them like intended, so I'm of a mind to not worry about it at all, understanding that it's gonna need replacement/fixing no matter what I do. Leave it zipped, I say. But that's me. You do you, and that'll do. I don't think you're escaping eventual fix/replacement either way, except maybe the glass not cracking/breaking potentially. That might be worth it all by itself.

For what that's worth. Hope it helps, and good luck!

Old 5/3/22, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i left it zipper all the time never had a problem
Old 5/4/22, 11:20 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
Well, good for you and everything. Welcome to the forums!