The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   Fox Mustangs (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f634/)
-   -   87 GT died while driving, now wont start (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f634/87-gt-died-while-driving-now-wont-start-533614/)

Twisted Whispers 10/24/14 11:03 PM

87 GT died while driving, now wont start

I was driving down the street today and out of nowhere, my car shuts off! Radio still going, no check ANYTHING lights, just a bunch of nothing! She'll crank and crank and crank, but just won't start. She recently sat for quite a stint, & I've replaced tons of stuff including the fuel pump, map, ignition control mod, coil, plugs, wires, & countless other parts that I've lost track of. I'm ready to pull my hair out, I just got her back after 7 years! HELP!!!!!!! 😫😫😫

cdynaco 10/25/14 04:39 AM

Welcome to TMS! :nice:

If its not even trying to fire then it makes me think of the coil. No ignition no spark plugs firing across the board. Loose wire? Loose ground?
If you've got fire, then its a fuel issue where the pump isn't getting fuel to the intake. Loose wire? Loose ground?

Twisted Whispers 10/25/14 07:02 AM

Replaced the coil last night, distributor cap and rotor. Doin some more checking today, possible ground problems. I just absolutely hate wiring.

Twisted Whispers 10/25/14 07:03 AM

Also gonna test the ignition control module, maybe it's bad...it's new, but not unheard of.

ALMOST STOCK 10/25/14 08:35 AM

Have you replace the fuel filter lately?

cdynaco 10/25/14 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by ALMOST STOCK (Post 6863419)
Have you replace the fuel filter lately?

That's a possibility - esp if the car has been sitting and are just now adding fuel (with mandated 10% ethanol). That loosens up stuff in the tank and can plug a filter.

But my experience is the engine will start fine and idle OK. But when you drive away asking for more fuel flow, the clogging filter obstructs the fuel and you have problems like bogging.

Whereas she said its not even firing. Unless it is completely clogged. :dunno:

ALMOST STOCK 10/25/14 01:22 PM

My experience with a clogged fuel filter was ........driving down the freeway got off at an off ramp still doing 50 MPH the engine dies for some mysterious reason, I coasted to a stop. The engine would crank over but wouldn't start.

Originally Posted by Twisted Whispers (Post 6863344)
She'll crank and crank and crank, but just start

That was the same problem I had ... it would crank and crank and crank and why I asked if the fuel filter has been changed because that was the problem with my car since I hadn't changed the fuel filter in probably 100K. Once I changed the fuel filter it fired right up.

Twisted Whispers 10/25/14 06:07 PM

Changed the pump and the filter, I'm getting fuel at the rail.

cdynaco 10/25/14 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Twisted Whispers (Post 6863575)
Changed the pump and the filter, I'm getting fuel at the rail.

To check for spark, we'd always take one plug out and ground the threaded portion (still attached to wire) against the head or block. Like lay a hammer on it or some kind of weight. Have someone turn the starter over and see if the plug is sparking.
If you're getting fuel and spark what's next... any kind of backfire event that would make you think valve timing jumped? Timing chain/gear break? (This is a pushrod motor right?)
Distributor gear break? Does rotor turn?
Throttle blades moving?
Whatever computer they have suddenly fail to cause it to die suddenly?
Something to do with O2 sensors and MAF? (I don't know what gadgets the 87's have. I have old school '83 300 I6 with a carb, and 08 & 10 ECU/Sensor controls, don't know much about in between years...)

Twisted Whispers 10/25/14 10:12 PM

You know it did backfire that day...I'm replacing the distributor tomorrow. I ran out of time at the shop it's at. They're letting me work on her there because she shut down like 2 blocks from there and I don't have any way to get her home. :-(

Twisted Whispers 10/28/14 11:00 AM

Fixed!!! New distributor did the trick! Thanks for all the advice. It's much appreciated! :-)

cdynaco 10/28/14 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Twisted Whispers (Post 6864411)
Fixed!!! New distributor did the trick! Thanks for all the advice. It's much appreciated! :-)

Awesome! :nice:

:chirp: