Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs

1979 pace car wheels

Old 8/16/15, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1979 pace car wheels

Good day to you all. I am new to this forum and am hoping someone can help me finalize my thoughts on the subject. I have a 79 pace car and am almost done restoring it. Only thing left is the tires. It has the infamous 190/65HR390 tires on the TRX 3 spoke aluminum alloy rims. The last time I bought the tires I got them from Sears at a good price. Now it seems you have to spend about $275 or so just for one tire.

Does anyone know of any other sources or tires that will work on this rim style?

Some have told me that Ford also made the same rim but in standard inch sizes also, maybe for the thunderbird or possibly even the mercury Capri. Is this true?

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you,
Dave
Old 8/19/15, 08:12 AM
Cobra Member

Received 83 Likes on 65 Posts
Can't answer specifically but if Tire Rack can't help you out with their vast inventory and 'what works with what' then I'm not sure what you can do other than those expensive ones. Sometimes it's easier to 'put away' or retire the original rims and get something similar looking. If you plan on driving your '79 I would probably go that route anyway as the reproduction tires often are 'out of round' or tough to balance besides being expensive. They are made for more 'show' than 'go'. I've had to do that in the past and my car collector neighbor has as well. Lots of aggravation with repros. I need quality rubber for highway speed driving. BFG is the last company for my '74 AMC's 14" tires. Once they stop (hopefully they won't) it's time for new rims/quality tires. The rims will just be put away for the next owner. Good luck!!
Old 8/19/15, 08:54 AM

Thanks for the response. That seems to be the trend due to the cost of the tires. It seems if Coker would lower the price a bit they would be selling a ton of these things.

Do you or anyone else know of any rims that are similar to the TRX in look but are standard inch size?
Old 8/21/15, 07:15 AM
Cobra Member

Received 83 Likes on 65 Posts
Sorry, not off hand. Agree about Coker. They are great folks but definitely expensive and selling tires that are not the quality of the originals (from our experiences anyway). Great for local cruising or shows but not for multiple hour highway trips. We are going to be fussy when charged that kind of $$$. They didn't balance well or were 'out of round' for two of our cars, a '76 Triumph TR6 and a '67 Mercury Cougar. Both different animals with similar results. Both sets returned.
Old 8/21/15, 12:58 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I had a Cobra TRX in '79 and purchased Goodyear Wing Foot tires in the correct size. I was just wondering if Good Year still made them and at a reasonable price. Good luck finding them. As for the wheels in non-metric size, you may want to check the Thunderbird forums.

The Mercury Capri, as far as I know, had the TRX package, so I am not sure if they also offered the wheel in non-metric size. I had one on order, in Dark Blue, when the Cobra showed up. I couldn't resist the Silver over Black package. The snake on the hood was hideous and peeling, so Ford painted the center of hood and scoop to match the pace car, under warranty, in lieu of replacing the decal.
Old 8/24/15, 12:07 PM
V6 Member

For TRX tires it's gonna be pricey. Coker are the only ones that make them now, I believe they bought the rights from Michelin for them & a few other out of production tire types.

https://www.cokertire.com/michelin-trx.html

Last edited by Desi; 8/24/15 at 12:09 PM.