1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Proud New Owner '68 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 8/21/12, 11:20 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The pic of ur motor is that red wire comin from ur elictric choke to ur relay. If so dose that work good.
Old 8/22/12, 12:47 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Agent
Here are some more photos taken this morning. Tell me what you see.
Sweet looking car bro, I noticed a big rust spot on your drivers side shock towers... You might wanna check out the frame rails, around that. A lot of stress is transferred from your engine to your shock towers and frame rails. Pitted and severely rusted frame rails can make your unibody car twist when you hammer on the gas....
Old 8/22/12, 06:01 AM
GT Member

drumr90, since the car went straight into the shop after I bought it, I don't know whether the red wire works well or not :-/

Lenor, thanks for pointing out the rust spot. I'll have to check it out when I get the car back.

Keep the observations coming! Tell me what you see that bears investigation!!

On the bright side (?) when I checked in with the shop on Monday, they did not add anything else to the repair list.
Old 8/22/12, 06:12 AM
GT Member

More photos of the engine compartment.
Attached Images      
Old 8/22/12, 08:37 AM
V6 Member

Ok well ill keep checkin in on it then.
Old 8/22/12, 04:40 PM
V6 Member

These cars are notorious to rust out on The frame rail under the battery tray. You might wanna inspect that if you haven't already.
Old 8/22/12, 04:49 PM
V6 Member

Ye thats been all patched already.
Old 9/1/12, 08:19 AM
GT Member

Update: yesterday afternoon, I got license plates for it, picked it up from the shop about 3 pm, and spent the next several hours bonding with it.

Even after all the work listed above, my spouse really struggled with the steering, braking, and just keeping it running, and as a result voiced the opinion that I didn't get my money's worth out of the work I just had done on it.

I thought it was better, but maybe only 30% better, not yet satisfactory. More work on the horizon.

Now it's raining and we have other things to do anyhow.
Old 9/4/12, 10:24 AM

Very nice looking car 68? I've got one and its nowhere in the shape that yours is in
Attached Images  
Old 9/4/12, 10:28 AM

. . . .
Attached Images  
Old 9/4/12, 02:13 PM
GT Member

68nwnmstang, yours looks more original under the hood than mine! How's your trunk & interior?

Yesterday, we took Chain Dog for a 25 mile drive that included 60 mph portions. Acceleration was rough and sluggish. Cruising was good but there was a smell of burning oil. Oil temp was good, pressure was about 3/4 toward H. The aftermarket tach does not work. I do NOT want to rely on these drum brakes in the presence of other drivers!!

Afterward, we found oil sprayed along the right side of the engine from the firewall to the radiator, oil pooled on top of the intake manifold, and oil down the front of the engine. We could not duplicate the problem in the driveway with the hood open & revving the engine.

As for the above posts regarding frame rust, the frame has minimal rust visible through the engine compartment as well as from underneath. There is evidence of some spillage around the battery, but not rust-eaten. The holes in the shock towers were cut to provide access to lube fittings on the currently installed oversized aftermarket components.
Old 9/4/12, 05:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Even after all the work listed above, my spouse really struggled with the steering, braking, and just keeping it running, and as a result voiced the opinion that I didn't get my money's worth out of the work I just had done on it.
Thanks for creating this thread and updating it. I've been thinking of buying a project car ('78 Corvette) and I enjoy reading about other people's projects. Hopefully your spouse's opinions will be different someday when you're on to stage 4 of the plan. Good luck and thanks again for posting.
Old 9/5/12, 05:58 PM
V6 Member

If the oil ur talkin about is comin from around intake and valve covers u have a blown gasget. I had oil sittin on my intake when i changed it and like urs it didnt happen with just sittin and revin.
Old 9/5/12, 06:18 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Nice ride. My very first car was a blue 68' 289 coupe. love it.
Old 9/5/12, 07:05 PM
GT Member

AlsCobra, thanks for the words of encouragement!

So the same shop that did my safety inspection work gave me an estimate of $7K to:
Replace the existing steering mechanism with a power rack and pinion kit.
Replace all 4 drum brakes with power disc brakes.
Replace gasket & pinion seal on the rear differential.
Replace idler arm bushing.
Install new shocks.

They also want 2-3 hours to evaluate the engine & come up with a plan/estimate.

The Ford dealer says #1 has poor compression, & rattled off so many engine oil leaks so fast I could not write them all down. They recommend replacing the engine. I haven't gotten a price from them yet.
Old 9/5/12, 07:32 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
AlsCobra, thanks for the words of encouragement!

So the same shop that did my safety inspection work gave me an estimate of $7K to:
Replace the existing steering mechanism with a power rack and pinion kit.
Replace all 4 drum brakes with power disc brakes.
Replace gasket & pinion seal on the rear differential.
Replace idler arm bushing.
Install new shocks.

They also want 2-3 hours to evaluate the engine & come up with a plan/estimate.

The Ford dealer says #1 has poor compression, & rattled off so many engine oil leaks so fast I could not write them all down. They recommend replacing the engine. I haven't gotten a price from them yet.
Buy some wrenches and do most of it yourself. Brakes and suspension is easy. Btw: this is all I have left of mine.
Attached Images  
Old 9/6/12, 01:39 PM
V6 Member

Do work ur self even if it takes yrs. thats ok cause every car a guy rebuild always ends up being a few yrs and they say they learned alot doin work them selves
Old 9/21/12, 06:22 AM
GT Member

Monday I'll get the rest of my park brake assembly installed (parts finally came in) and then I'll install the hood mounted turn signal indicator lights & wiring harness.

After that, the current plan is to rebuild the existing engine with performance heads, install a Mustang II suspension, power disc brakes, and power R&P steering with a new steering column.

Do you have any advice about stance? What is better than stock?

Wheels... the existing 14" wheels will go away. I'm shopping in the 15"-17" range, staggered widths. It looks like the best selection is in magnum 500's. Other options: '68 styled steel wheels, Eleanor wheels, the list goes on. Help me out with your photos!
Old 9/22/12, 06:45 PM
GT Member

We ended up pulling out the console today, to find the area underneath packed with seat stuffing, mouse droppings, and a mummified mouse, among other things. Cleaned all that up, washed all the console components, replaced some light bulbs, and got the illuminated gear shift indicator working again. Now we just need to put everything back together.

We also installed the hood mounted turn signal indicator lights & wiring harness.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Agent; 9/22/12 at 06:49 PM.
Old 9/22/12, 07:50 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
We ended up pulling out the console today, to find the area underneath packed with seat stuffing, mouse droppings, and a mummified mouse, among other things.
lol Been there... Plus the glove box full of dog food.

Quick Reply: Proud New Owner '68 Coupe