The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   1964-1970 Mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f633/)
-   -   Boss 302 firing order (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f633/boss-302-firing-order-449828/)

Every_Mn 3/31/07 05:55 PM

Boss 302 firing order

Does the old Boss 302 use the 1-5-4 firing order like the 289/302, or 1-3-7 like the 351s?

69boss429 4/1/07 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Every_Mn (Post 879390)
Does the old Boss 302 use the 1-5-4 firing order like the 289/302, or 1-8-4 like the 351s?

Same as a 289 : 1 5 4 2 6 3 7 8

HOSS429 4/10/07 10:55 AM

i built a " bogus " boss 302 back in the early 80`s .. i will try to find and repost the details i have on another site. quite an uninteresting tale ,,

HOSS429 4/10/07 11:54 AM

only took me an hour to find it

. i built an engine one time before i even had a car to put it in. mainly just to see if i could do it cause i enjoyed doing things people said couldnt be done . i was quite familiar with the BOSS 302 as a friend had one some time before. and i knew where i could get my hands on a boss intake. the main ingrediment. if any of you are familiar with the johnny cash song ( one piece at a time ) where over a 30 year period he steals a cadilac from work one piece at a time and finally puts it together in his garage . this motor is somewhat like that. a real hodge podge of dif stuff. starting with a 70 302 ford block. a 66 steel crank& rods.that i found in a friends junkpile. 73 351 cleavland open chamber heads that had to have some water passages moved on. JB weld does wonders. 70 351 clev flat top pistons. that i cut the skirts off to clear the crank. the pistons stuck up out of the block 0.050 thousands but it didnt matter with the open chamber heads. 318 dodge push rods fit the bill . big block chevy rocker studs. cleavland guideplates. 455 pontiac rockers. olds 455 valve springs which i still put on all my ford engines even now as they are the same hight with a small shim and have one less coil therefore no coil bind with big lift cams. . but wait there`s more... part two of this tale.. i later put this motor in a 72 comet that i wanted to drag race a bit .. i spent about a week trying to get it to crank up but to no avail .. i knew it was`nt fireing for some reason .. i would pull out the distributor and hook up all the stuff on the work bench and spin the dis. by hand and sparks flew like crazy but put it back in the engine and get nuthin.. finally asked a fellow mechanic for help .. he looked at the battery and saw it was hooked up backwards .. the motor was cranking backwards.. swapped the battery posts around and it fired rite up ...after a brief breakin run i headed for the street for a test blast .. despite all my best tuning efforts i could not get the motor to take gas from an idle .. just shoot a big flame out the carb.. i guess thats why no boss 302`s ever came with an automatic trans.. i had a stall convertor but it did no good ... so i cruise up to 3000 rpm in low gear and punched it .. in my haste to drive the car i had only a 5 gallon bucket to sit on and had also neglected to put the nut on the steering wheel .. as soon as it caught traction it threw me into the back seat area .. the steering wheel in my hand .. luckily the car went into a big ditch and after bouncing me off the roof a time or two came to a stop .. all was quiet for a few moments till my buddies who witnessed this saw me moving about then the big laughter started.. needless to say that car was scrapped shortly after.. the motor was re-headed back to a normal 302 and put in a pinto where it still is today ... i`m trying to find that car again..