1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

1966 brake & steering conversion

Old 11/16/17, 04:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
1966 brake & steering conversion

i have a chance to get my uncles mustang, a 1966 coupe auto with 289 v8.
only thing is it does not have power steering or power brakes, the old drum brakes you have to pump a thousand times....
my question was is it somewhat easy to convert to a "era correct" power steering and power brakes setup; rather than to go to the new stuff that is out there.
i want to keep it original as much as possible but still retain the safety of driving...
im would also need to look for someone who can do mustang restorations within 100mi from hagerstown MD. if anyone knows of any good, reliable shops who can do this kind of work and other restoration on older mustangs that would be appreciated.
thanks,
Old 11/16/17, 06:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
You should enjoy the car and do it safely. So with that in mind... the question I have is why do you want 'era correct'?

If it's price... yeah, no, get the new stuff.

I wouldn't do the 'era correct' stuff if you paid me when there's much better and safer for these two particular items. I have personal experience. Newer, in this case, is better, I'd say.

The kits that you can get look very 'era correct', as they're done pretty much the same way for mounting. Just newer, better, overall. Once done, they'll look like they belonged there all along.

Unless it's a concours car with papers... what's correct is what's safe if you're going to drive it, 'cause there's no 'correct' with a Mustang if it's not going to be a show car only.

This is, of course, just my opinion. FWIW. You do what you want to do on that, but be prepared for a big hunt for those OEM parts and have a nice fat wallet.

Search this Thread