1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

1965 Ford Mustang 200 ci 6 cyl Carburetor replacement - Hit a wall

Search this Thread

Old 8/10/15, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1965 Ford Mustang 200 ci 6 cyl Carburetor replacement - Hit a wall

Hey, I've been working on replacing my mustang's carburetor over the past few days and, since I'm incredibly new to all this I'm hitting walls left and right. I have a 200ci I6 engine and a single barrel carb (Autolite 1100).

I've managed to get everything correctly (hopefully) connected except for this. Right above the exhaust manifold is a port for... something and I can't for the life of me figure out what it's for.

I also noticed these two tubes just chilling to the side of the carburetor (It was like this when we bought the car). Something tells me that those tubes should be connected to the spacer under my carb instead of to the black thing they're currently connected to. Should I move them over or are they fine how they are?
Old 8/10/15, 09:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
What, my reply in Reddit wasn't good enough for ya?

Welcome aboard, Sylphie! Glad ya made it!

---

I see you got the exhaust/choke heat tube hooked up!

It's been a while since I worked on my '66 200, so I had to do some searchin' about and remember things.

Ok, the carburetor is mounted to the carburetor spacer. The port towards the passenger side of the car? You can forget it. It's just a place to screw something in, perhaps some linkage or other item. If you want to find a plug to fit into it, then do so, but it goes nowhere and you can find a few pics using google to confirm that it's simply not used for anything besides a mount of some sort.

The two pipes on near the valve cover run coolant through the thing. This is sort of optional, but do you see in your second picture where those two hoses are joined up? Take that out and put those hoses on that spacer.

You should be good to go after that, seems. But to be sure, post up all the pics you had from the Reddit posts, and let everyone have a gander real quick.

Again, welcome to the forums!
Old 8/10/15, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by houtex
What, my reply in Reddit wasn't good enough for ya?
Busted!

But to be sure, post up all the pics you had from the Reddit posts
Here's the only important other picture I have. I'll get those hoses hooked up in the morning and see how she runs
Old 8/11/15, 09:46 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 113 Likes on 83 Posts
Ah the 200 I6 - I had that engine in my '68 Falcon. Great engine for its day.
Old 8/12/15, 12:56 PM

Update: I got everything hooked up nice and tight and was ready to start her up. My dad suggested to spray some starter fluid into the top opening of the carburetor (where those flappy things are) before starting it (this is how we started it to get it out of the warehouse it was collecting dust in about a year ago). Alright, cool, so I get my handy dandy can of starter fluid and spray into the hole and then I notice that after a second or two of spraying the carburetor starts leaking. Now, I'm not sure if this leaking is because I sprayed too much starter fluid (again I held the nozzle down for about 2 seconds) and the carb is kicking the excess out or if there was a flaw in the installation.

The leak is on the passenger side of the carb, between the carb and the spacer. Here's how I have them installed: Engine block area ---->Gasket ----->Spacer----->Gasket----->Washer----->Carb---->Nut. So the leak is coming from the 2nd gasket and the washer on it. I've removed the carb and tightened the bolts on the spacer then flipped the gasket around a bunch of times and tightened the nut that connect the carb to the spacer and nothing has stopped the leak.

Any ideas on what might be causing it?
Old 8/12/15, 06:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Engine block area ---->Gasket ----->Spacer----->Gasket----->Washer----->Carb---->Nut
Wait, what? What's that washer doing in there? Should be this, I'd think, else you're defeating the purpose of the gasket:

Engine block area ---->Gasket ----->Spacer----->Gasket----->Carb---->Washer---->Nut

Also, check the picture showing the spacer installed on this page:

http://www.championmustang.com/64%C3...68-p-9894.html

...which confirms the order, seems.

As to the fuel leaking out? That's... odd. Sounds like a stuck float. But with that washer in the middle, I'm not sure you're getting the right seal, so correct the Carb/Washer/Nut situation first and retry.

---

As to the starter fluid... yeah, don't. I wouldn't, anyway. Just crank it like normal. If you want to prime the carburetor, then you can just take the coil off, crank it a bit, then put the coil back on, and it should start.. provided everything else is right (timing, distributor/spark plug wires order, coil's hooked up right, etc, ad nauseum.) and it's getting fuel to the carb, and the floats are right.

Using starter fluid will just cause confusion as to what's going on if there's something wrong, which is why I'd not use it.

Last edited by houtex; 8/12/15 at 06:43 PM.
Old 8/12/15, 06:43 PM

Wait, what? What's that washer doing in there? Should be this, I'd think, else you're defeating the purpose of the gasket:

Engine block area ---->Gasket ----->Spacer----->Gasket----->Carb---->Washer---->Nut
I actually just got back from doing that. I had an "Aha!" moment while watching Netflix which resulted in the most disappointing sigh. It seems that there's no leak anymore when I moved that washer and I'll try turning her on after dinner.
Old 8/12/15, 06:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Please to re-read my post! I added stuff.

Good luck!
Old 8/12/15, 06:47 PM

Just crank it like normal. If you want to prime the carburetor, then you can just take the coil off, crank it a bit, then put the coil back on, and it should start.
So funny story.... I have no idea what any of this means :/
Old 8/12/15, 06:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Just crank it. It'll be fine. Charge your battery up first, mash the pedal to set the choke, then crank away.

Crank for about 10 seconds, then stop.

Wait 30 seconds (allows a little cool down of the starter)

Repeat crank/wait until vroom happens.

Again, if all is well... it'll just start on its own, and that's what you want.

Last edited by houtex; 8/12/15 at 07:20 PM.
Old 8/12/15, 08:02 PM

Just crank it. It'll be fine. Charge your battery up first, mash the pedal to set the choke, then crank away.

Crank for about 10 seconds, then stop.

Wait 30 seconds (allows a little cool down of the starter)

Repeat crank/wait until vroom happens.

Again, if all is well... it'll just start on its own, and that's what you want.
So I haven't tried this yet cause I just saw it. By mash the pedal, do you mean the gas pedal? Cause there are 3 pedals... And is there anyway of knowing when the choke is "set"?

I tried turning it on just with the key and no fancy pedal mashing or resting and here's what happenened: Turn key, engine turns over, engine kicks as if it started, let go of key, engine dies.

The battery was changed about a year ago, so I don't think it'll need to be charged, but I'm no professional!
Old 8/12/15, 08:18 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
Pressing the gas pedal to the floor once and releasing usually sets the choke. If you really want run with carburetors, try working on my Corvair (it has 4 of them - 2 hidden under the spare).
Attached Thumbnails 1965 Ford Mustang 200 ci 6 cyl Carburetor replacement - Hit a wall-img_5321.jpg  
Old 8/12/15, 08:42 PM

Okay so I tried cranking it a few times like you said, houtex, and it didn't work. The engine just turnsover but never starts.

As for setting the choke, are there any ways to check if it's set? When the car is resting the valve in the top port of the carb is in this limbo half-closed state and when I press down on the gas the valve closes (I'm not sure if this is what should be happening, I'm just sharing what I observed so you all can better help me). There's an un-labeled black **** to the right of my emergency brake which I'm assuming is my choke lever. I push that in and out and don't see anything moving in my carb, that being said I'm home alone so my observations are strictly from the driver's seat.
Old 8/12/15, 08:59 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

I'd be surprised if you had a manual choke. The carb in your pics looks like it has an automatic choke, but it is hard to tell from the pictures.
Old 8/12/15, 09:02 PM

I'm 99% certain I ordered a manual choke carburetor. What part of the carb should I photograph so you can tell?

Last edited by MrSylphie; 8/12/15 at 09:05 PM.
Old 8/12/15, 09:07 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Top view showing the whole carb should help someone here identify it.
Old 8/12/15, 09:10 PM

Here's a bird's eye view of the carb g
Old 8/12/15, 09:24 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Unless I'm wrong (and I have been before), it looks like an auto choke to me.
Attached Thumbnails 1965 Ford Mustang 200 ci 6 cyl Carburetor replacement - Hit a wall-choke.jpg  
Old 8/12/15, 09:26 PM

So what's the black **** underthe dash for?

Oh and I just remembered: when I'm cranking the key and press the gas, nothing happens. Usually the engine revs but this time it's like there's no change

Last edited by MrSylphie; 8/12/15 at 09:42 PM.
Old 8/13/15, 05:36 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

The **** under the dash does sound like it is for a manual choke. I had a friend who had a '64 Falcon that had a manual choke. I never knew Mustangs had them, but the only classic cars I ever owned are Corvairs.

Are you sure fuel is getting to the carb? With the key off, hold the choke open and have someone pump the gas pedal. You should see a squirt of gas in the carb throat if it has gotten fuel.

Last edited by SpectreH; 8/13/15 at 05:53 AM.

Quick Reply: 1965 Ford Mustang 200 ci 6 cyl Carburetor replacement - Hit a wall